Note to New Members ×

Summer storage tips?

Tugboater

I will be the first to admit I am tough on gear, with the exceptionally limited amount of space in my house and adding 2 kids and their gear to the pile somethings aren't cared for the way they should be. I found a thread from '04 ( Summer Storage) but with time things occasionally change, new products become avaulable etc...What is the best way to store my stuff (it will have to go in the shed I get too much water in my basement for safe storage there). I got my son some beater skis on Craigslist and want to clean up the surface rust on the edges, how would you go about doing that? Thanks for your help.

I tried a technique for the 2nd time this weekend and once again I am surprised at how well it works:

I took my boards out of the garage and laid them base up in the sun on a hot day. After they warmed up for about 30 minutes, I rubbed a bar of wax on the bases. The wax goes on very easily and evenly. Once the wax had completely melted and smoothed out to a uniform sheen, I took the boards into the basement for summer storage.

I try not to store my boards in the garage in the summer as it cycles from about 60 degrees to about 100 degrees every day. I don't think this is good for the boards. The basement stays about 70 degrees all summer long and is quite dry. I also loosen the binding screws to allow the core to relax back to its original form.

I used this technique last year to wax the boards. The wax seemed to last longer than with an iron and there is less waste.

I hope I don't sound like a prick, but uh, I just leave mine upright and leave it as is. When fall/winter comes, i take 'em off by using copper brittle when I sharpen the edge and put on wax. That goes for my skis, too.