Note to New Members ×

Video from a track day in a Subaru

Corey

Some fun from a recent track day in my Subaru STI, conditions were rainy early in the day with some dry track sections by the end. This is at Gimli, MB, Canada, where the famous Gimli Glider had it's emergency landing. This is two of my better laps followed by what's pretty much a blooper section of all the 'not-so-perfect' incidents through the day. I really should have softened my rear swaybar, but I didn't want to lay in the puddles so I drove around it. Available up to 1080p:

If you just want the slip-sliding fun, try this link to skip the regular laps:

I wasn't trying to drift! LOL! Just pushing the limit of how late you could brake into that corner. There's tons of runoff room there, so I'm comfortable dancing on the edge of control. On this slightly wet track I was hitting around 100 mph on the front straight, braking down to 60 mph as I turned in for the corner. Too much fun!

This one aspect is highly similar to alpine carving to me - you try to turn harder and harder until your board starts to slarve a wider path through the snow. There's a small window between a true slicing carve and sliding/chattering out that you can transfer into and out of with relative ease, and it's REALLY fun to play in that window as you're flirting with your limits of control. Then you learn something new and raise that limit a bit so you turn harder to reach that threshold again, over and over again. You can see me going past that window in the latter parts of that video, and the early laps have me just barely inside that window for most of the lap. It's pretty socially irresponsible to do that in a car on public roads as the mass/speed puts everyone around you at risk so it's best saved for a closed track. When carving you can do it wherever you want, within reason. I love that I can get the same feeling in the summer or the winter, but the equipment and friends are different.

Corey, if you're gonna try and mow the lawn next to the track, you are in the wrong machine. And you need rap music in the background if you're going to keep driving while looking out the side windows! How many times have you now watched Fast and Furious?

Excellent video and agree with the parallels to carving. How tight a turn can I take without blowing out.

One word: Hoosiers

The FNF movies just make me angry. ;) I'd bet if Hollywood made a carving movie most of the people on this site would hate it too!

Haha, I've kicked the Hoosier tire crack-habit. Myself and my co-driver were dropping $3k per year on them a couple of years ago to try to win a $40 plastic trophy. $1200 for 40 useful miles, and the next 20 miles are ok but noncompetitive... Modern street tires (like Dunlop Z1, Hankook RS3, etc) give 10% less grip but last many times longer while also being cheaper.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEIQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwIbKWeY0RY0&ei=a0HaT57iMYag8gORhPD3AQ&usg=AFQjCNGFMfd-97AYIW-uE-gBugAblvB3SACorey-d nice driving, good fun! Scotland's Colin McRae having fun some years ago...sadly he's no longer around..i like the bits where car gets some air...id like to do that on my snowboard, kinda wheelying at speed:-)Ive done the 1/4 mile straight at Scotlands Crail in a Chevy V8 engined mod car:-) Edited by floBoot