Note to New Members ×

Whistler Update

pan

Gave a CASI 2 at Whistler this week.

Spring condition. Got some snow on Tuesday and Wednesday which made easier to ride the bumps in the morning. In the afternoon, soft and slushy condition everywhere.

Broke my freeride board on the last run on Wednesday. Had to show up on my race board on day 3 and 4.

It was icy yesterday morning and the bump was quite hard to ride. Barely made it down on the bump below the solar chair.

This morning, we got 15 cm fresh powder snow! Amazing! First track! But it only last for an hour. After it became choppy everywhere by skiers and later the sun made the snow very pack and bumpy. Great weather this afternoon!!! Sunny :cool:

Gave a CASI 2 at Whistler this week.

Spring condition. Got some snow on Tuesday and Wednesday which made easier to ride the bumps in the morning. In the afternoon, soft and slushy condition everywhere.

Broke my freeride board on the last run on Wednesday. Had to show up on my race board on day 3 and 4.

It was icy yesterday morning and the bump was quite hard to ride. Barely made it down on the bump below the solar chair.

This morning, we got 15 cm fresh powder snow! Amazing! First track! But it only last for an hour. After it became choppy everywhere by skiers and later the sun made the snow very pack and bumpy. Great weather this afternoon!!! Sunny :cool:

Thanks for the update. Probably one more trip end of May.

RT

Hey, thanks Pan! I wish I could see the L2 students' faces when yo showed up on the rae board! You made my day.

Yeah, end of May ride! I think I'll be able to do it, taking it a bit easy.

Well, the candidates were shocked when they saw me doing the Toe-to-Toe exercise with my race board.

The bumps below the solar was too crazy. I can only ride the side of the run.

I'm in town at the end of May and am hoping for a day of snowboarding and another day of downhill mtn biking.

Arrving the 19th and staying until the 27th.

-Gord

Definitely, we need to go out another time! I will call my friends in Whistler and come out ride with us!!! It will be fun!

Currently, you can only upload at 9:45am. Gondola only open during weekends. The rest of time, you have to upload from Wizard chair.

For snow condition, it will depend on freezing level. From my experience, start riding from top of Jersey chair around 10:30. Condition is ridable for hard boot before noon. Afternoon, it will turn into slushy bumps.

Went to Blackcomb yesterday. Condition were hard and frozen before 11ish. All ungroomed runs were rough, even on softboot. After 1ish, everything become soft and slushy!

Sunny day, blue sky! Very warm in the afternoon.

Another sunny blue sky day! Still very warm. Condition was slushy in the afternoon. Recommend to upload off-board on first chair. Barely any snow left at the bottom. Still ridable to base 2.

I think I saw one guy on race board and another guy on skwal? with poles.

Can't make it :( Make some turn for me.

C'mon Bro, sure you can do the 27th? The course wouldn't be running on Sundays?!? We need to close the season in style.

My last x-ray got rescheduled to next week, but I'm still hoping that doc will give me OK.

On Skwall, eh? I haven't been on mine this year. The plan was to do the big straight air jump at Cypress... Ah well, next year.

So the official gathering on 27th?

Yesterday, morning was cloudy, then sun came out around 2ish. Tried the mogul field at the top of Spring Board. Slushy and fun!

My recommendation, if you don't want to scratch your base/wax, park at Whistler base and upload/download on Wizard chair (5 min walk from parking). Lots of dirty and hidden rocks, condition is bumpy at lower section at the end of the day. Currently, from Blackcomb base 2 to base lodge, only 3 boards wide groomed runs is accessible.

Update on 19 & 20th:

Sunny and warm on Sat., unlimited visibility. Lots of people. All chair were opened, except Crystal, Magic and Showcase T.

Raining at the bottom on Sun., but wet snow at the top. Very limited visibility.

Condition was holding up until noon, soft and slushy in the afternoon. Mostly ungroomed runs were very rough with big and hugh moguls.

Recommend park at Base 2 and upload/download using Gondola.

So how many people will come out on 27th? I will try if I can drive up to wrap up the season.

Hey Pan,

I can't give you the firm answer. My last appointment with surgeon got moved to next Friday, I hope he says I'm fine.

If I go, Doug would be likely to join too. Roy is out due to his son's wedding. Tony out with broken clavicle. No word from Geo. I still have to check with Rod and Pierre.

Bare in mind, even if I go, I won't be up to speed.

I'm out for the 27th gents- I will be out of town for the weekend on Vancouver Island.

Looks like I'll be doing end of season maintenance on my board fleet this week and placing them in storage for the summer... sigh.

Time to tune up the road bike, and my climbing gear.

Geo