Note to New Members ×

Graduating... where to move

Odd Job

I will be graduating this June with a BS in Computer Science.

I'm considering looking for jobs out of state (from NY here) but there are so many choices.

Would be helpful if anyone could point to any good locations.Tired of 8 minute lift rides up followed by a minute run down. I basically don't care for partying/drinking, if that helps any. Pretty much into snowboarding, tennis among other outdoor activities. Would love to ride weekday nights after work too, if possible, but would not mind just riding weekends...?

Or would staying in NY be a better choice? (The thought of moving back to NYC after graduation horrifies me).

Or maybe this is all a big mistake and I should just go where the "job salary/cost to live" ratio is as high as possible...?

Yeah I need help.

Oh yeah, the thought of a 2 hour drive to a resort makes me want to barf. (After snowboarding I am usually very sleepy while driving for any length of time, it will catch up one day and I'm going to get into an accident...weee).

Denver or Salt Lake City might be good choices. Possibly Reno. I went to school in Utah and rode almost everyday/night - it was nice. You might also consider what type of IS or computer related jobs there are at resorts. That would get you real close to the mountain.

Just get out of Buffalo. I moved from Buffalo to Aspen in '04 and I don't regret it one bit. I even moved to NYC for a little bit for a job (moved back to Aspen in '08), so there's nothing that says you can't move back if needed. But take some time off, move to the mountains where snowboarding, hiking and biking await, and don't look back.

Might I suggest coeur d'alene idaho. Growning businesses and amazing town. Spokane has IT jobs and so does close by liberty lake called Itron. I have 7 mountains within a 2 hour drive, 3 of which are less then an hr. cant beat the geography and what winter has to offer. Also you will be on one of the largest most pristene lakes in the NW. Let me know if you have more questions.

I'm going to have to do my research. I plan to be sending mass resumes in a couple of days.

Have you guys ever tried findyourspot.com?

It takes your preferences and suggests the top places to live, although I think it may be a bit off.

Salt Lake City is my current top choice actually, but I haven't looked around much at other areas so it's not a definite (in terms of top choice).

Jim, how expensive is Aspen?

I really like living in Denver / Golden. Being +/- an hour from some great riding, and all the amenities and 'culture' of a big city. It's great place to wrap your head around living in the west. And between my bike & bus to get around town and small network of riding buddies to get up to the hill - I don't even have to own / drive a car.The climate here is amazing; I logged over 100 bicycle commutes (in a row!!) to work last year alone (>10 miles one-way.)T

You need to become a Canuck ;)

Nothing really beats Vancouver for lifestyle and diversity. Outdoor ethusiasts' Mecca, right in a real metropollis. Lots of snow in the mountains, none in the city.

3 mountains within 5-40min drive (one being Cypress), deppending on where you live, even accessible by public transit.

3 mountains within 2hr drive (2 being Whistler and Mt Baker).

6-7 mountains within 4hr drive.

Downsides:

Expensive, yet not like NYC or Aspen

Rainy well above average

Poutinesss!

In all seriousness, I will probably send resumes out to all "hotspots" if there are tech job openings available. Just signed up for 2 in Utah. *crosses fingers*

PS: I actually like snow, I crack open the window in 15 degree weather cause I like breathing in cold air when going to sleep, I also like seeing a winter wonderland outside my window :P

PS: I actually like snow, I crack open the window in 15 degree weather cause I like breathing in cold air when going to sleep, I also like seeing a winter wonderland outside my window :P

Me too, but I don't like to shovel or to be rear-ended while driving to work. ;)

If i could do it ALL over again and start back at age 21, i would move to Jackson Hole. Do what you have to do to survive, i.e. bartend, ramen noodles ect. The IT gig will come. The experinces you have before it does will last a lifetime.

If i could do it ALL over again and start back at age 21, i would move to Jackson Hole. Do what you have to do to survive, i.e. bartend, ramen noodles ect. The IT gig will come. The experinces you have before it does will last a lifetime.
+1. I was way too much in a hurry to start grown-up life and always regretted not spending a couple of dirtbag years in the mountains.

Go to Calgary. Kick ass carving crew, Nakiska is an hour away, Sunshine, Lake Louise, Norquay, Castle Mountain all within two hours, Three hours will put you in Fernie (South), or Kicking Horse (West) which isn't a carving hill, but is loaded with black and double black steeps.

Dave

IDK about this. Given where the job market has been sitting (i.e., in the toilet), it might be good to take advantage of college recruiting to line up something now. Go somewhere fun like SLC; you can always take time off in between jobs in a few years to do a season of ski bumming.

Me too, but I don't like ... to be rear-ended while driving to work. ;)

That's 'cause you're in Vancouver, if you get outside of the lower mainland you'll find people who actually know how to drive when there's more than a centimeter of snow on the road. :-).

I live in a "snowy" city, the locals are still horrible in snow :(

That's 'cause you're in Vancouver, if you get outside of the lower mainland you'll find people who actually know how to drive when there's more than a centimeter of snow on the road. :-).

Might I suggest coeur d'alene idaho. Growning businesses and amazing town. Spokane has IT jobs and so does close by liberty lake called Itron. I have 7 mountains within a 2 hour drive, 3 of which are less then an hr. cant beat the geography and what winter has to offer. Also you will be on one of the largest most pristene lakes in the NW. Let me know if you have more questions.

Maybe not in Noirs's plans,but for anyone else thinking of somewhere not quite metro but with all the ammenities,CDA has everything I've ever read as a desirable trait in these threads.Although I wouldn't call the lake pristine(more of a real estate ad line than fact),it is pretty and there are many other lakes in the area as well.Schweitzer is on a par with any small to midsize Colorado resort(except for the fog,the best in the NW when sunny),and the smaller areas are generally conveniently located,especially my redneck home mountain,Silver Mountain Resort.The job market in Spokane/CDA is reasonably vibrant depending on skillset and real estate is extremely reasonable.If I had it to do over I would probably have moved there instead of the Silver Valley,except for the fact that our backyard has one the world's best paved bike paths running through it(72 mile Trail Of The Coeur d'Alenes) and our little town of Osburn has a 'Rockwellian' feel and atmosphere that have made it worth the stupidly slow internet speeds and the commute to CDA.

Edited by Steve Prokopiw