Note to New Members ×

Center holes in SG board for Vist plate

scrutton

I have a couple of SG boards (purchased used), one has the center holes in the board (2 metal threaded inserts mounted in the center of the board between the 4x4 mounts), the other does not. The center holes look useful for attaching eg a Vist plate.

Do the board come stock without center holes (I see a photo online of an identical board without the holes which indicates that that may be stock without the holes)?

Are the holes/threaded inserts already there under the top-sheet, and just need to be exposed. If so how do you do that (knife? Drill small hole and then use a knife)?

If neither of the above are true, and an insert needs to be installed in the board, how does one go about doing that? What material are you drilling into?

1st. Email and check with SG and give them the serial number on your board. With that info they will be able to determine if you have inserts under the top sheet. So far all the Kessler's that appeared not to have inserts, did in fact have them under the top sheet.

2nd. When SG gets back to you, they should also have measurements from the tail to the inserts. Make them be specific though. From the actual tail, or from where the top sheet starts near the tail ? Very important. Kessler wasn't sure so It was a long afternoon for me and my GUY. They should also have the measurements between the inserts, for the insert spacing.

3rd. Find the center of the board, and place a binding mounting disk over the center of the board to to get the spacing measurements from the edges. Not the center from tip to tail, the center from edge to edge.

4th. After measuring, start drilling with very small drill bits on where you think the last row of inserts MIGHT be. You will have to "SACK UP" because, the titanal isn't pre-drilled, you will have to get thru that also. If you do get thru the titanal over an insert the drill bit will then drop to the bottom of the of the insert. If you get thru the titanal and there isn't a hollow cavity under it, you didn't find the insert. Keep cleaning the working area of shaving's.

5th. The exacto knife is the most important tool needed. After you have found one of the inserts, it's best to use the excacto knife, to start cutting through the top sheet and the titanal layer. Start to open up the insert hole to get your hole centered to make room for larger drill bits.

6th. Chase the threads with a M6 thread chaser, to clean out the threads. Check your threads with an M-6 binding screw to make sure the threads are still good.

7th. Take your time, because its gonna take a while. It probably took my GUY and I, about 4 hrs. Remember to always have the drill set at a low speed.

Tools needed:

Drill bits, SMALL, SMALL, SMALL !

Drill (set at LOW rpm)

Excacto knife

high powered magnifying glass

M-6 thread chaser, to clean up the threads if the drill bit

M-6 screw

M-6 allen key

tape measure metric

pencil

ruler

drilling fluid

patience

BALLS !!!!!!!!!

Tools NOT needed:

magnet

sonar equipment (seriously we used it, useless)

a quarter ( I heard this has worked, don't recommend)

Alcohol (don't consume)

I have a couple of SG boards (purchased used), one has the center holes in the board (2 metal threaded inserts mounted in the center of the board between the 4x4 mounts), the other does not. The center holes look useful for attaching eg a Vist plate.

Do the board come stock without center holes (I see a photo online of an identical board without the holes which indicates that that may be stock without the holes)?

Are the holes/threaded inserts already there under the top-sheet, and just need to be exposed. If so how do you do that (knife? Drill small hole and then use a knife)?

If neither of the above are true, and an insert needs to be installed in the board, how does one go about doing that? What material are you drilling into?

Thank you so much JD. Wow, really glad you responded. I had no idea you'd need to drill / cut through the titanal.

Makes you wonder if taking an X-ray of the board would be beneficial. Not that I have access to one.

I shall start the process by writing to SG.

Thanks again,

Paul

Slightly shorter parts list than Joe's - spray-bottle, hairdyer or heatgun set LOW, ice or liquid Nitrogen.

Set the board base-up and get it REALLY cold - a lot of ice, snow packed all around it, liquid nitro, whatever. Clear the board off and run the hairdryer over the center for a few seconds. Wait a few seconds, then spray water on the base. You may see shadows where the inserts are located

Just use your vist plate as a template is you are trying to find the center holes. If you are trying to use the plate and your board doesn't have the holes your vist plate will still work with two short screws that came with your plate gaining purchase through the titnal top sheet.

I don't know if this is a good test, but I just ran a high powered magnet over the board, and no discernible force at the 4x4 insert packs. I know filings would be a lot lighter..but I'd have thought I would get some attraction with a magnet if this is going to work.

I don't own a Vist plate at the moment, but that would be a good plan (using it as a template) when I get one.

I had another idea though, as one of my SG's does have the center inserts exposed, perhaps I could build a template from that and lay it over the other board and discern where they may be - presumably they would probably be equidistant between the insert packs and center to center spread should be the same.

I like the temperature change idea though.

@Jonny - are you spraying water on the topsheet or base?

I don't own a Vist plate at the moment, but that would be a good plan (using it as a template) when I get one.

I had another idea though, as one of my SG's does have the center inserts exposed, perhaps I could build a template from that and lay it over the other board and discern where they may be - presumably they would probably be equidistant between the insert packs and center to center spread should be the same.

I like the temperature change idea though.

@Jonny - are you spraying water on the topsheet or base?

Base, but that was where I knew there was Titanal only above the core not below. if the SG has two layers then top or bottom would work equally well I think (or not at all)

• 2 weeks later...

I just received feedback from SG snowboards on this also, echoing what Mclank already said :-

"the 2011/12 production boards do not have the centered inserts any more.Our riders in Worldcup who use VIST plates never used the centered inserts for mounting the Vist, the Vist is only fixed at both ends and not sideways.

SG SNOWBOARDS.

"