Note to New Members ×

Fixing chunk out of Axis?

johnstewart

So I had my first serious ding on my Donek Axis 177. I won't go into HOW I did it, but I managed to take a little chunk out of the topsheet on the edge. The top layer is kind of hanging there, in a half circle probably about the diameter of a dime.

I'm thinking I should put some epoxy or something on there so it doesn't spread. Suggestions?

thanks!

Originally posted by skategoat

Use 24 hour epoxy. It flows better than the 1 hour stuff.

Apply sparingly and then use heat to draw it into the core. If you want, colour it while you're mixing. You can just use tempura paint powder.

Use heat to draw it into the core?? Hmm... iron on the base (the nick is on the topsheet)? Hair dryer??

thanks!

Originally posted by skategoat

Use 24 hour epoxy. It flows better than the 1 hour stuff.

Apply sparingly and then use heat to draw it into the core. If you want, colour it while you're mixing. You can just use tempura paint powder.

I'll second the don't use 1 hour (or less) epoxy...it has a bad habit of yellowing and pulling out of where it's been placed...put tape (masking) around the area so that the glue doesn't run (hot/cooking glue has a habit of running). Clamping it also a good thing to do it will help form a tighter bond

Originally posted by johnstewart

Use heat to draw it into the core?? Hmm... iron on the base (the nick is on the topsheet)? Hair dryer??

thanks!

A good, hot hair dryer should do the trick I would think, though I use a heat gun like this (cycling in-between cool and hot to keep the filaments and resulting air temp in the desired temp range). Warm up the board using the gun before hand, mix the epoxy, heating up the epoxy so it's warm to start out with and flows nicely, add the epoxy, and the continue to heat for a little while. If you're really dedicated, you can come back to the board periodically and reheat it. For smaller jobs your oven can often be used if the minimum temp setting is low enough or you could leave the door open (naturally this isn’t really an option with a snowboard lol). Clamping is indeed a good idea.

DrCR

________