Note to New Members ×

Low binding angles

Odd Job

I've recently have gotten to a point where ice is more or less not as taxing. (I trust my edges, as long as I stay super compressed I'm sticking) --> usually I'm trying to straightline more before dumping into a carve/not finishing turns as much to go at a higher speed nowadays.

However these are with fairly high angles 60/55 underleveraging with TD1's (boots are old AF700s)...24.5 boots ona 18cm board.

Not sure today was a good day as I was super tired. I lowered them to 55/50 (I can go lower with LITTLE boot out, 53/48). Groomed ice. Heelsides at these new binding angles = stuck as usual, ass sliding against the ice... toe sides however felt like it needed more ab muscle movement than at 60/55. I had trouble keeping my hands off the snow... (I'm striving for absolute max angulation to work on technique... the only part of me that I accept touching the snow at all is my rear knee). I feel like I'm hunched over a bit too. Any fixes for this other than extreme counter rotation? Maybe I'm rotating into my toesides slightly.... maybe.

Heelsides just stick. stick.. and stick.. even if I counter rotation momentarily by accident. I feel maybe I should force myself to use high binding angles due to the overall lateral stiffness of my binding/boot setup, and that low binding angles are reserved for more flexy bindings? (fore/aft movement).

55/50 are not low angles...

However, changing the angles to lower can triger the rottion into the toe side. Maybe you need to feel like counter-rotatiting a bit, to prevent the over rotation? Does your heel side hand ever cross the heelide edge?

I was extremely tired today (6 runs went home, slept 4 hours, woke up recently). When I mentioned counter rotation on heelsides (very occasional). my inside hand approaches the nose of the board, but never actually crosses it. I tried a variety of positions on toeside. It did kind of seem like I had to kind of "counter rotate" to be neutral on toe side, but I didn't take that many runs to dial it in. Is the leverage that much better at lower angles? Cause I'm tempted to with my newfound skills (but on 60/55).. go down to like 50/45 or so...

In addition, it feels like (even at higher stance angles), doing whatever to really DROP the hip in on toe sides, leads to a natural backseat position where I have to consciously really load the nose up while in said position to use the entire effective edge of the board nose to tail as I feed it through during the turn. if I just "drop the hip" with that slight counter rotational feeling on toesides, I'm naturally just riding the tail I think. I do still stick on ice albeit I think a slighter wider arc (I think). But I'd like to get better.

it feels like, doing whatever to really DROP the hip in on toe sides, leads to a natural backseat position where I have to consciously really load the nose up while in said position to use the entire effective edge of the board nose to tail as I feed it through during the turn. if I just "drop the hip" with that slight counter rotational feeling on toesides, I'm naturally just riding the tail .

This is definitely what limits my riding.

I feel the inbound ness at 60/55 just hurts my legs (more like just my front knee), like no tomorrow. Due to the pain... I dumped it down to 52.5/47.5 (td1's, not precise... I eyed it real carefully, pretty much dead center between 55-50 front and 45-50 rear, lol)

I definitely feel at lower angles, the heel side becomes more of a chair sit, but it doesn't matter, I'm still stacked, despite the pain my heel sides tend to just stick even on ice today. toe side feels a bit like the pureboarding toeside sans the rotation... (like I'm crouched down with not much angulation). Like there is more back arching. If I try to arch my abs away in a more sideways position. I am DEFINITELY counter rotating (paid attention to hands/body + relation to front boot angle today)... I had a couple of toe sides that felt kind of softboot like in comparison to 60/55... but I felt the entire weight of my body on my toes. Maybe I'm not used to it but toe sides at lower angles feel kind of spazzy, but It feels like I am leveraging the edge more compared to 60/55 when I do it right. Might be the use of more muscle groups or tactfully have the ends of my feet over the edge.. not sure... Man i wish I had bigger feet so I could just ride the higher angles without problems lol

I've recently discovered that by moving my front angle up to 55 from 50, I could more easily get my hips turned in on heelside carves. At 50, I found myself sitting on the toilet quite a bit and when I tried to turn my hips square I had difficulty maintaining pressure on my front heel as my weight would drift to my back leg. I left my back angle alone, so moving the front angle up also increased the splay which may have helped. Original angles were 50/46, now I'm riding 55/46.

I wish I had this problem. With 27.0 upz, I run the least amount of angle with no over hang.

I'd say as long as your 45 or more on the front, just go with it. There will be a technique to make it work well.

My experience is more angle than necessary, makes for an unforgiving ride. The board always feels like it has too much leverage on the boot.

Having said that I have no experience with boards that narrow.

LOLOLOL! Yeah that would probably be me if I owned a swoard... lololol

Sadly my season is over. I ended it switching to low binding angles... I wish I had a couple of more ice days to really gauge how I ride with low binding angles :(

Sad sad sad. I'm graduating soon.... Thinking of going west.... I only got 61 riding days in... :( (Yeah I know that's a lot.. right? lol)

(Can you get 61 + riding days in per year while working a full time job out west? east?)

No no, I need a good paying job! lol

Sadly.. Money > snowboarding...

How many days do you working guys get in a season?

You can get 20 days pretty readily in Portland working 9-5, M-F (maybe playing hooky a few times for midweek days). My buddy that rides religiously every weekend and takes a few trips cracks 40, but he's self-employed, which helps.

If you live/work close to the hill (say, within 45 minutes), you could boost that substantially with night riding or (if you're very close and your workplace is understanding) pre-work sessions. Lots of people living in Hood River appear to have that understanding with their employers...I rode the chair one day with a guy who said he was a lawyer in Hood River, and would be trying a case in the afternoon. It was a sunny spring day and he said he expected everyone in the courtroom, including the judge, to have goggle tan.

Edited by Dan

Yeah, I absolutely do not mind night riding at all. even 20 days working doesn't seem that bad either. :D

west vs east? Im reallly leaning towards west coast haha

Well...I haven't actually done any riding on the East Coast, but everything I've heard makes me think that I'd prefer the West Coast. Don't forget, there's lots of great skiing inland too: Colorado, Utah, Montana, and Idaho, for instance.

I should really be more precise, I meant west, including the inland parts :P

Time for a job hunt!

Well...I haven't actually done any riding on the East Coast, but everything I've heard makes me think that I'd prefer the West Coast. Don't forget, there's lots of great skiing inland too: Colorado, Utah, Montana, and Idaho, for instance.