Note to New Members ×

0 vs 3 degree front cant and/or lift significant?

Guest ZenOne

I opted for two 3deg disks with my TD2s instead of waiting 'til Feb. for the 0 and 3 deg disks I originally ordered.

Question for those that have ridden with both 3 and 0 in front: Does the difference significantly affect your riding or comfort or is it something that can easily be adapted to?

Thanks for any insight

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

I have tried both flat and 3 in the front, and I prefer 3 degrees. I find my front leg fatigues faster if I ride flat, and the 3 helps me to be more centered on the board.

Tried both as well, made the opposite choice but for the exact same reason as Jack.... flat front foot helps me stay centered and avoid leg fatigue. (I tend to ride too far back on the board, flat-footed in front has helped me stay centered. I have a new appreciation for what being centered feels like after SnowPerformance camp!)

Perhaps you can soften the effect of having the 3 in front by widening your stance a bit? I'm experimenting with 0/6 and slightly wider stance when I go out on a longer board, earlty results are positive... I use 0/3 usually.

one thing i notice regardless of canting angles is that once i tire myself out a bit i find the right place to be on the board because i stop being so stiff about things... and start to conform to how the board "wants" me to ride, once i do that then i can really feel if my positioning/angles/cant are comfortable.

I feel more relaxed with front and rear lift/cant. After adding toe block shims to my Snowpro bindings I also centered my bindings on the board. Felt soo much better! After SES, I ordered TD2's 3/3 and won't be looking back. For you number junkies, 65/60, 3/3 cant lift disks in line w/the board longitudally, 19.5 inch stance width, 5'7" 160

I run 0F/6R...I've always been more comfortable running more lift in back than in front.

If you stand flat-footed in riding position and bend your knees, your back foot comes off the floor first, unless you shift your body back, in which case you wouldn't be centered. This is exaggerated by wider stances (heel comes up sooner). How are you guys staying centered on the board, bending deep at the knees, with equal lift F & R? I suppose if you only bend your knees when the board is bent, this is less of an issue, since you essentially get toe lift in front and heel lift in back when the deck is really arced. Though I can't tell how much this occurs - I'm not holding a protractor at my feet in the middle of my turns...

joe...

Originally posted by ZenOne

Does the difference significantly affect your riding or comfort or is it something that can easily be adapted to?

Yes, it is a significant difference. You will definitely be able to feel it, but that's ok - you're probably going to like it. Yes, it is easy to adapt to.

Originally posted by joecarve

If you stand flat-footed in riding position and bend your knees, your back foot comes off the floor first

Not if you're wearing your boots. Neither foot should change angle if you're in riding position (with proper canting). If you're just in your boots and flat on the ground, then both your front toe and your rear heel should come off of the ground at the same time (although they will likely come up at different rates).

>>If you stand flat-footed in riding position and bend your knees, your back foot comes off the floor first, unless you shift your body back

Only if you are the face the front guy. Try facing inline with your feet angles, and this issue goes away.

So this is why the extremecarving guys can ride flat and flat.

That said, I agree, it is easier with heel lift/cant on the back for sure ;-)

Kip