Note to New Members ×

Feb 25/26 at Nakiska

Allee

My son qualified for the race at Nakiska just before the Easter weekend, and being a really good dad, I just have to be out there to help him :)

q: Will there be any snow left ?...... just asking because there's really not much left here in Ontario :(

I used to make snow at Nakiska in the 90's. They have to make enough in the fall to survive the warmest chinook filled winter. They also have talented groomers that keep stock piles of snow in different high traffic area's that they can scratch and scrape from in the spring. Anything fresh, like we are getting now, won't hurt either.

My son will be training on 4th and 5th, so I'll be out freeriding. If any of you Nakisker's are there that day and would not mind showing a lowly Ontario rider where the real/fun carving runs are, I'd be might obliged.

I won't be down there. But basically 75% of Nakiska is great for carving on. And by 75% I mean anything that is steep enough to allow you to maintain speed. All the runs on the hill are wide and well groomed.

Bronze chair services only green runs as a beginner area so don't waste your time there. Silver Chair is right in front of the lodge and with the exception of the long green off the top of it there are blues and blacks immediately off of it which are all great for carving. Go up top on Gold Chair and you get steeper groomed blacks and blues.

I really haven't been up there alot this year as I've primarily been up at Sunshine, where I have a pass this season. Well that and they've been getting puked on this month (215cm of new snow has fallen since the beginning of March). But Sunshine's grooming is a bit sub-par (compared to Nakiska anyways), and their grooming report was basically a pack of lies last weekend, so it's been more AM riding up there for the past month or so.

After a month of AM riding I'm itching to go rip some cord on my carving decks. So I'm thinking of hitting Nakiska with my family for some carving next Thursday (29th). I'll let you know how the snow is.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

My son will be training on 4th and 5th, so I'll be out freeriding. If any of you Nakisker's are there that day and would not mind showing a lowly Ontario rider where the real/fun carving runs are, I'd be might obliged.

I'm sure you're not a lowly rider. Looks like you lucked in ... they've had 50cm of snow this week, so they'll have cover up there for a bit longer.

I'm not sure if I'll be out after this weekend - I've kind of switched into mountain bike mode - but we'll see how the snowfall goes.

I really haven't been up there alot this year as I've primarily been up at Sunshine, where I have a pass this season. Well that and they've been getting puked on this month (215cm of new snow has fallen since the beginning of March). But Sunshine's grooming is a bit sub-par (compared to Nakiska anyways), and their grooming report was basically a pack of lies last weekend, so it's been more AM riding up there for the past month or so.

Dave, you figure it will still be good in mid-April? We're planning a trip for April 12-15.

Neil,

Are you talking Sunshine or Nakiska? If you are talking Sunshine, I wouldn't worry about it. They got absolutely pounded in March, and as of today have had a total snowfall of 906cm, which puts them only 2cm away from their record annual snowfall (908cm). While the numbers are impressive they don't mention they had higher winds early in the season which blew alot of snow off of the top. Still not bad snow regardless. I launched the Standish headwall for an 18-20 ft drop last weekend. Sunshine have scheduled their closing date for May 21st.

I'm planning to be up at Sunshine Apr 14-15 for my last days of the season, maybe we can hook up for a few runs.

Cheers,

Dave

I was at Nakiska today. Snow coverage was good with typical spring conditions on the bottom of the mountain. Rather icy in the morning, softening before noon, and then getting silly slurpee by 2PM. Red crow at the top was in good shape around noon.

To Darcy, Wonser, Ursle, and Jeff thanks for the pointers. My riding improved more in four hours than it has in the last season. My daughters love getting a chance to ride with the "carvers".

Cheers,

Dave

I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow, and plan to be on the hill on Wed first thing.

Based on the feedback here, sounds like I'll be heading to the Silver chair or hanging around the race training hill. I'll be on a 177VSR, black jacket, white helmet, and stopping every 700' to rest.... (the size of an Ontario hill ) :). Hope to meet one of you enthisuasts.

Norm.

Apparently higher on the hill is better (Top of Gold) as it stays colder and doesn't get the freeze thaw cycle that Silver goes through.

If Nakiska gets too slushy for you consider heading up to Sunshine. While their grooming is spotty the snow was still great up there last weekend. Only problem with Sunshine right now is that they've still been getting so much snow that it's almost too soft.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

It was good to meet you...even if it was only for a quick ride up the gold and then watching you ride off while I waited for my son.

It was really cool to see all the young racers from out east. I have *never* been on a hill with that many plate riders before and I have never seen so many coilers and SGs in my life...not to mention all the Oxess and Kesslers for the BX races that were happening that day.