Note to New Members ×

Granite Peak

mo_writer

Is this a good place for carving? I may have a chance to go up there in mid-March, though I don't know if I'll have hard boots yet. May just be riding with my freestyle gear.

This is the hill that has restricted snowboards (particularly carvers) from certain runs because skiers there are too stupid to understand a snowboards cadence. This of course in lieu of inforcing the skier's responsibility code, e.g. rule #2.

B-man is right in that whilst the highest vertical in Wisconsin, the last two thirds has such a gentle pitch it's unridable on a snowboard on powder days.

Best bet, drive another 1 1/2 hours north to Indianhead or Blackjack, both are very carver friendly. I'm usually up at Indianhead, (heading up tomorrow) unless I'm on a real mountain somewhere.

I have some bias......I live on Granite Peak. Walk out my back yard for a run.

I agree with the assesment of the pitch. It does flatten out at the bottom, but Ive never been stuck on a flat or have never seen enough powder for that to be an issue. High speed lifts get you back to the top quickly.

I have never seen snowboard restrictions.

The grooming and snowmaking are top notch.

Real high speed lifts!!!

I often read negative comments about Granite Peak here. I really don't understand it - either you haven't been here recently or you flat don't know what your talking about. This is the midwest people!!! I don't know what you expect.

Any interested carvers should give it a try. I'd be glad to meet you and show you around. Local brew in the bar is very good too! I'll buy!!!!

I have some bias......I live on Granite Peak. Walk out my back yard for a run.

I agree with the assesment of the pitch. It does flatten out at the bottom, but Ive never been stuck on a flat or have never seen enough powder for that to be an issue. High speed lifts get you back to the top quickly.

I have never seen snowboard restrictions.

The grooming and snowmaking are top notch.

Real high speed lifts!!!

I often read negative comments about Granite Peak here. I really don't understand it - either you haven't been here recently or you flat don't know what your talking about. This is the midwest people!!! I don't know what you expect.

Any interested carvers should give it a try. I'd be glad to meet you and show you around. Local brew in the bar is very good too! I'll buy!!!!

Didn't mean to step on you stompin grounds as I would agree this is the best Wisconsin has to offer. Just happy to have Michigan near by! I have not been there since 2009 after they did inact Snowboarding restrictions. That in of itself was one thing but thier juvenile response to my complaint was enough to prevent me, and many of us carvers, from ever going back.

http://business.transworld.net/23712/features/granite-peak-bans-snowboarders-from-skier-only-terrain/

I'm glad to hear they have made improvements as they were in dire need when the State ran this facility. Snowmaking in particular with the crappy Winters we've been having. Back in the day when we did have snow days of a foot or more, all of traffic off this mountain would channel into one trail line per run as it was un-navaigatable through the flatter deep snow, and even with that we would have to get un booted and push our way to the base of the lift.

My point was more to the fact that Indianhead is set up for and welcomes carvers, has great snow making / snow management, some of the best grooming anyhwere in the US, plus it still gets natural powder days, I've enjoyed 4 this season alone. I have had two of my best carving days of the year here, vs. anywhere (including CA, CO, ID, OR, WA, WI), just this past weekend! But If I lived next store, I would likely be making some use of it. So ride what suits you!