Note to New Members ×

SG Full Race 163cm - first ride

scrutton

Set it up with Catek OS2 SI's, a re-purposed kitchen cutting board as a board protector.

Sugar Mountain, NC.

Slalom racing Sat, NASTAR course Sat (2 runs). GS racing Sun, NASTAR course Sun (2 runs).

I got three runs on it before the first race, loosened the legs up. It's my first wider-style modern shape metal board. I did put a few runs on a Bomber Plated SG 185 at SES last year.

The board camber is interesting; clearly it has a rockered nose that starts about a foot behind the tip of the nose. It has traditional camber also in the middle of the board

So, on the first run down the slalom course, I couldn't believe how damp and smooth the board felt. It seemed like the board stuck to the course, and I had to put about 1/2 as much effort into the run as I normally would. My first run, I was in and out of the ruts on the course, without any wobbles when going in and out.

Turn shape was perfect for a slalom course. Over the course of the weekends riding (on SL, GS, NASTAR), I had to watch myself, as on the easy gates, I turned a bit too much too early, and had to readjust my angle to the next gate.

After racing I started riding the groomed slopes. I was able to get the board way on edge, and the ground came up and met me nicely. The board is very confidence inspiring. Hitting ice, I occasionally lost the edge and regained it quickly without any wobble.

This one is a keeper, at least I hope so. Over the course of the weekend, the board took a few rock hits. Looks like 2 small core shots. It's off to the repair shop this week to see what can be done. The board was purchased used, and looks like it's got about 50% of its original life left. I'm hopeful that it can be repaired and put back into service.

Lots of compliments from the skiers on my riding this weekend. And after an early season of managing to get Bronze placing in NASTAR (on a mix of GS and soft-boot boards), I got 4 Silver placings this weekend on this board.

• 1 month later...

Adding to the review of the SG Full race pro team, here are my experiences.

Similar to some of my other reviews comparing the behaviour to cars. The SG Full Race SL is closest to a go kart. The board is ridiculously reliable at insane G's. I can not find the aggressiveness that so many people mention when referring to its behaviour. Just like a go-kart it is very reliable, predictable and docile at the limit. It has to be. If you are in the middle of a race and an axe murder suddenly appears, you will not be able to produce the win. The cambered nose does make it want to choose a side. On choosing a side, the build up is very nice and predictable. The board is softer than one would think with the nose showing quite a bit of flex. The nose seems to be softer than the tail. Quite a bit at that. This board I can best compare to a border collie dog. It is playful and loyal, but wants to play. Don't expect it to be leisurely. For that it is far too spritely.

• 1 year later...

Picked up a used 163 full race titan last year. First words to describe it is it's a pretty amazing board and insanely fun. Seems like it can do anything from tight slalom turns to high speed GS sized turns with ease and control. I don't race, but I think it is great fun as a recreational board for a crowded hill, limited terrain or visibility, or when exploring an unfamiliar resort, as you can mix up the turn shape, size and speed at will to handle whatever the slopes present. I think this is a slightly newer model, 2010-11?

post-8510-141842406624_thumb.jpg

The board feels a little heavy for its size, but not any less nimble for it, in fact has a solid feel as it slices smoothly through crud and ruts. I think it's best on anything from packed powder to ice. My first ride on this board was in soft, granular spring snow, and like most carving boards, I had to hold back or it wanted to dig too deep. I would have preferred a softer, wider board in those conditions.

I weigh about 185lbs, and probably closer to 195 dressed to ride, and mostly not a very aggressive rider. I would echo the above reviews, and add that it's like a go-kart if it were made by Porsche. Being a small board with VSR, slight fore and aft adjustments in your weight make very noticeable changes. I tend to get lazy and sit back riding a board, and with this board, if you do that, it wants to go faster and faster, not completing turns. Then I find myself going quickly edge to edge, more like a skier, until I rein it in by getting forward to tighten up the turn radius. So, to get the most fun out of this board, I try to stay in the driver's seat and drive the nose into each turn and am rewarded with laid-out, railed turns that practically pivot on the spot where you place your hand on the snow. Then again it's nice to be able to throw in a couple of quick turns and shoot across to the other side of a run with a high speed large radius turn. Whiplash is a possibility.

Edited by bigwavedave

• 2 years later...

I was loaned an older Pro 163 by a friend (possibly a 2009 model?). I already own an SG 157 Titan and an SG 180 Pro, so I knew how well they ride. As with some of the previous reviewers, I found this board to be an Alpine quiver killer!

I weigh around 175lb, I'm fit, strong and with a race, rather than free carve background so I was intrigued to find that this board fit exactly between the other two in terms of turn size and versatility...it was the missing link.

Agile and responsive, fitted with a Vist plate and F2 Titaniums, it carved deeply and powerfully, allowing me to dance through the crowds and then unleash some long to medium radius, super stable, higher speed carves.
When you lift it up to carry it, with the Vist on it, it weighs a ton, it's incredible how, when you ride it, that weight translates into stability and the ability to hold a line as if it's on rails, cutting through any bumps or ruts in it's way!

On steeper blue runs, it never gave a hint of unsticking from the snow, even when my hip was on the ground at GS speeds...it was very confidence inspiring. It took no time at all to get used to, and felt like an old friend.

The second time I took it out, I thought I would roll into the Nastar course at Park City. Other than jumping into the course with students for a laugh, I had not ridden any gates seriously, for a couple of years, and bearing in mind that our course is a dog leg and you can't see the last 3 gates, I pulled out of the start hut not expecting too much. Especially as our Race Department like to offset the last few widely 'to slow people down' (WTF-it's a race course!).

The carves came effortlessly, and edge changes were smooth and predictable. As I crossed the finish line, the surprised announcer said "Good grief, that snowboarder just got a Platinum medal". I was equally shocked, so to make sure that it wasn't a fluke, I went back up and went faster! When I checked the Nastar national rankings, it had placed me at no.9 in the nation, with no one less than 20yrs younger than me...I think I like this board.

My plan now, as I'm not racing SL or GS, is to sell my other two SG's, and find a 163 for myself!

Edited by Emdee406