Note to New Members ×

Park City, Utah - January 28th to February 4th, 2012

pow4ever

Howdy UT carver.

Just want to check in.

I will be at Utah

Riding January 29th to February 2th, 2012

3 days at PC and 2 days at Canyons.

skill wise: I think I am finally at a point where I no longer give snowboarder a bad name :) Would love to meet up and ride with the local.

What's the condition like?

Is there a good shop for base/edge work?

Thanks!!

--

David

Howdy Mick!! How are you doing sir? Got a SL style board this time and I am loving it :)

That pow day at snow basin is one of my top snowboard day of all time.

Today was a great day. At one point we got 9 carvers riding together!!

They are so nice to adapt me and show me around. We plan to meet at PCMR/Crescent Lift at 9AM tomorrow if anyone else is interested. The more the merrier.

--

David

Hey y'all

I'm planning to be in Brighton 2/25 for the USASA Alpine events, then meeting some skier friends for a week in the area, based in a VRBO house out near Jordanelle Res. east of PC. I'll be at PCMR for races again on 2/29. Otherwise no specific plans except to have fun. I hope to manage some graceful encounters (we don't say "run into..." ) with some of you local volkl - post a note here if you have plans and could use a bigger posse.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Mick

I'll try to get the group up there for a day at least. I don't think any of us have been there before so shouldn't be too difficult. I see Canyon Sports has pretty good discount tickets for most areas. Does anyone know of any better deals?

Canyon Sports price vs resort:

Park City 2/7 days $136 v $194

Brighton 1 day $56 v $62

Canyons 2/7 $136 v $184

Snowbird 2/5 $121 v $156

Regards

Dennis

Hey y'all

I'm planning to be in Brighton 2/25 for the USASA Alpine events, then meeting some skier friends for a week in the area, based in a VRBO house out near Jordanelle Res. east of PC. I'll be at PCMR for races again on 2/29. Otherwise no specific plans except to have fun. I hope to manage some graceful encounters (we don't say "run into..." ) with some of you local volkl - post a note here if you have plans and could use a bigger posse.

Dennis

I'm based at PC, and will be around for both races. I'm free riding the morning before the race on the 29th, on my SL & GS boards. As for Brighton, I'll have been off hards for 3 weeks, so may well ride my Sbx dependent on the course setting.

Drop me a line if you want to make some turns on the 28th, or we can chat at Brighton.

David, it was great meeting you and getting a morning riding together! You were looking great on that cool Coiler!

Mick

New plan is to try to hit Snowbasin on Saturday as Brighton races are a bust. If all else fails, I want to hit the NASTAR course for a few runs, so you might find me there. Better would be to rendezvous for some early runs, so I'll stay in touch unless the phone croaks.

Dennis

Mick

New plan is to try to hit Snowbasin on Saturday as Brighton races are a bust. If all else fails, I want to hit the NASTAR course for a few runs, so you might find me there. Better would be to rendezvous for some early runs, so I'll stay in touch unless the phone croaks.

Dennis

Cool, I'll have the morning free on the Tuesday and plan to ride the snot out of my SL & GS boards, hitting the NASTAR too, so that would work. I'm pretty bummed we now only have one qualifier for Nationals, looks like it'll be a double points event as there is no way we will get 2 x SL & 2 x GS, x 2 runs each done before dark!

Text me on four three five, six five five, one six four nine nearer the time!

Howdy Dennis,

I'll keep an eye out in the morning for you, and check at the Nastar course on Bullwinkle.

There are Intermountain Junior ski races going on this weekend also. They are held on City Hill by the bottom few towers of the Needles gondola. The parking starts to be a bit hectic starting at around 7:45 because of the Racer Kids parents driving them there. But it's all good since they are pretty much concentrated on that course. The last races they were loading mostly on the John Paul lift, and carving up Wildflower to get to the start.

I'll be wearing an Acid Nightmare flashback Pixel outfit, green snakeskin Coiler, hopefully at or near the front of the line at Needles gondola.

It should be another fine day of having fun.

Mick

Edited by boardguru

Howdy Dennis,

Great meeting you yesterday, sorry that we didn't get to ride together. But after coming to almost complete stops on steep terrain on the first of the morning recon run, I thought that the wind was a tad much. The news later reported winds to 103 mph on Ogden peak.

Just a bit breezy for me and my wife.

Hope you have fun riding today, it should be a Way better day.

Mick

Mick

I got a raincheck because the Nastar course was closed for the other race event, but had to hang out awhile to wait for the ship to finish a grind/tune on my Venture (from a day at Pebble - great little resort just not enough snow). I conferred with my party by phone and decided odds we would make it up there this week are slim, so decided to use the rain check and salvage what I could. By then the ceuling had kufted and just as I got ti the map they opened the gondola. It was still pretty breezy, but the groomers were pretty good (firm!) And traffic was negligible. I met a couple of guys from PC area at lunch (Mike, an aspiring carver, and Mark, a monoskier) at lunch and the three of us explored the place for the rest of the day. They were on skis, and I was pleased that my new Coiler AM proved quite capable in trees, sastrugi, crust, a bit of migratory powder, boilerplate and sugar. I had to bail at 320 to make it to UPS in PC, but irherwise would have stayed til 4. Not a bad day after all.

Hope to get to ride with you and Chris sometime. Maybe we'll base a trip in Ogden area someday.

Dennis

Were you out in an orange jacket and black pants this morning? We were getting toured around by a friend of one of our party, who I'm pretty sure was wearing a catheter and bag. Had no idea there was so much fresh so rode my GS board for a fast tour of a bunch of bumpy runs in the Silverlode and Thaynes areas, then split off for the NASTAR course (a successful day) and lunch.

Were you out in an orange jacket and black pants this morning? We were getting toured around by a friend of one of our party, who I'm pretty sure was wearing a catheter and bag. Had no idea there was so much fresh so rode my GS board for a fast tour of a bunch of bumpy runs in the Silverlode and Thaynes areas, then split off for the NASTAR course (a successful day) and lunch.

No, that's a local guy on a Burton FP...I'm pretty easy to spot as A) I'm usually the only Black Snowboarder on the hill and B) unless it's a tue/wed morning, I'll be in soft boots in a red Instructors uniform!

Hi Dennis,

Sorry I missed your departure after the race. After they abandoned the Start List Order we got out of synch and I never saw you again, just your times pop up! Crazy weather, racing in a full-blown blizzard!

Great to meet you and ride with you, hopefully see you at Nationals!

Take care,

Martin

It was good to meet you, Martin. Thanks for showing me around on monday (I think it was monday - I get a little vague after a week of ski/boarding vacation). I was pleased that the crew hung in there and finished all 8 runs for us. It must have been pretty miserable standing out there.

We had a blast at Canyons today in the fresh pow. Tomorrow we're going skiing at Deer Valley with my wife's grand-nephew. I'd kind of like to do Nastar at PC but I suspect it'll be too soft to be very consistent, if it's even open.

I hope we get to ride together again. Nationals, here or in the northwest if you ever are in my neighborhood. Let's stay in touch.

Dennis