Note to New Members ×

upz info needed

James Ong

Yes, not by choice. The rear boot's lean mechanism's retaining nut kept coming off. I took the whole thing apart several times, and finally put a jam nut on (not having appropriate threadlock).

There is an L-shaped bracket that has holes in. It fits into the lower shell, and slides in a track in the plastic lean mechanism housing (which fits into a track on the upper shell). The lever flipped up allows a spring-loaded pin to pop into one of the holes, locking the lean mechanism housing to the lower shell, so when the upper shell moves it must compress a spring; down prevents pin engagement, so the upper shell can move freely. There is a threaded rod which runs from the top of the recess for the lean mechanism, through the lean mechanism housing, with springs on either end. The offending nut hold the assembly together, and can be adjusted for preload.

Hope that's helpful. If you have a specific question, maybe I can help.

To get it off, just flip the lever down, unscrew the retaining nut (can use a standard screwdriver carefully in the vertical slots to twist if it's more than finger-tight), then push the cuff forward and pull the lean mechanism housing down at the same time. You'll see the bracket come out of the lean mechanism. You can then remove it from the lower shell.

Not sure, you mean ride it that way? Don't! Chances are very high the shell will lock up because you will over flex it and the cuff part will hang itself with the lower part. Happened in Europe. Also, you might hurt your ankle big time!

Cheers,

Ray

To get it off, just flip the lever down, unscrew the retaining nut (can use a standard screwdriver carefully in the vertical slots to twist if it's more than finger-tight), then push the cuff forward and pull the lean mechanism housing down at the same time. You'll see the bracket come out of the lean mechanism. You can then remove it from the lower shell.

Thanks, it came out as you described

Not sure, you mean ride it that way? Don't! Chances are very high the shell will lock up because you will over flex it and the cuff part will hang itself with the lower part. Happened in Europe. Also, you might hurt your ankle big time!

Cheers,

Ray

Thanks Ray, i am mindful of the dangers of riding in walk mode, i actually took the 3 position mechanism off an old pair of deluxe boots and rode it that way for a couple of seasons. The xtra flex was nice but i have gone back to a bts.

The danger to your ankle riding this way is real but i wonder if it's overstated?

Softbooters seem to do ok, i know apples and oranges but still.