Note to New Members ×

Gear from this century

cb200

Dragging my old alpine gear out of the closet, I realize that I really need to get some gear from this century. But it seems like it's an ebay or classified fight to get anything alpine related. I'd like to find some gently used gear and I'm not sure I have the patience or knowledge of what's even "good" at the moment to start buying. Soft boots or ski gear is starting to look better and better...

I'm trying to get back on the snow after some neglect and injuries. I'm pretty casual about my aspirations for on snow performance, and would prefer not to have to go all out regarding spending.

So what I'm looking for are a few pointers regarding what's "good" gear is today. Imagine I've been asleep since 1999 and tell me what you think I should know about alpine snowboarding today.

I suppose it all depends on how and where you make your carves.....I look at gear like cars;better to let someone else take the hit and then buy up their used gear for much less $$$,unless you need that new-car-smell.There's usually plenty of stuff to drool over here in the classifieds.

Boot's haven't changed much outer-shell wise, liners on the other hand, a surefoot molded liner on top of custom footbeds is a good tool.

Bindings have gone in the correct direction, bombers sidewinders are the cat's meow.

Boards... metal baby, hunt up a used Schtubby (coiler 171 ish,12m ish, good on ice and in pow?)

And Plates, which lock the rider's two bindings "at" one point on the board while the other end of the contraption slides, allows the board to flex independently of the rider. Also dampens sudden transitions in vertical directions.

what do you have now? You might be able to still use it? Are your boards that you have now have ski screw mounting or theaded inserts? if they are new enough to have threaded inserts you might think about buying some better bindings to use with them. Of course I am talking about 4x4 or burton 3 hole inserts not the oid burton 5 hole pattern. List what you have now so that we can help you make some decisions about what to do.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36333

The VSR in the post is a sweet board. It is not my post but I have seen this one under D.T. and it performs b-e-a-utifully. Tight turns, drawn out turns, this one can get it done for you. Put your binders on and run your boots for now and enjoy the rail. Next would be some boots then go for binders, unless your binders are showing signs of wear.

Ink

In the closet right now: RennTiger SL163 (99ish vintage), Burton raceplates and freecarve boots. It's all ride-able.

Perfectly fine equipment, just wondering exactly what kind of boots you have. They are one thing that could make a big difference in your riding, especially if their too stiff or the fit aint right.

Otherwise, spend your money on lessons or going to carving sessions.

After a season on your slalom board I'd consider buying a slightly undersized GS board or freecarver matched to your weight, used of course.