Sunday 1/8/2012 ASSESS who is coming?

carvingchef

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was cold and windy up here last night. The temps at Summit were in the 20's, so I'm hoping they blew some snow last night. My hotel was too far away to confirm

Edit: I just checked Summit's web site, they were blowing snow all night!! Should be good today!

What a great day! Had a blast with better than expected conditions.

This was probably the best turnout in quite a while.

Being able to hang out with you guys afterwards was just the icing on the cake. For those that couldn't make it....there's always next time.

I'll have some pics up tomorrow. I gotta go through what looks like a bunch of bad pics :( New camera to me and still messing with settings. I had the wrong shutter speed and focus setting, so quite a few came out too blurry to be decent. I'll sort through and get at least a couple though. (sorry)

wow, it was such a sweet and welcoming session for me. I just moved out here from Toronto about 6months ago. It was totally unexpected to see so many talented carvers out there. you guys looked pretty badass ripping down those runs!!

It was great meeting the soca crew! hopefully i'll be able to meet up and ride with you guys more often.

Cheers,

Jacky <- I was on a yellow factoryPrime

It was great seeing everyone one again and nice to put some faces to new names. It was an awesome day.

For those of you that missed it, I won't rub it in too hard, but uhhhh today was probably one of the best days of the season so far and better than what you'd see at Mammoth, Heavenly, Mt. Hood, Mt. Bach, etc. etc.... :eplus2: (for now that is - what with our lack of snow/rain and temps being so high)

What made it even better was the lack of crowds and the number of carvers on the slopes - we rutted up those runs. Good stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing more of you on the slopes again in the future.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for a fun day! Wish my "desk legs" would have lasted a few runs longer. Guess I need to get in shape for SNES this year.

Thanks for Andrea and Mike for taking the time to shoot photos and carrying that extra weight on the hill.

We have a good crew and lots of stoke for carving!

See you guys again soon.

Thanks again!! Tom

I really hope we have enough snow to have SNES this year. :( I'm going to visit June on Tuesday to see how things are going and will speak with Carl and Eric about scheduling our session (given they are able to open up more eventually). Lets hope this isn't 06/07!! :angryfire

After reading all of the replies on how much fun it was yesterday I guess I made the wrong call and should have headed northeast to the mountains instead of southwest to the ocean. :smashfrea I'm just glad you guys had some decent snow and such a good time. :) Sorry I didn't make it.

Hey all, here is a link to the pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101599992119231161855/ASSESS182012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Decided just to upload pretty much all of them to Picasa. Due to their size, it started to shrink down the quality towards the end, so if you would like me to send you a particular one, just let me know.

Sorry for the not so sharp shots. I set the shutter speed just a touch too slow and didn't notice until much later that the focus point was set to the wrong setting. Still a learning process with this new camera. Guess I could've just set it to auto, but what's the point of having a DSLR then :rolleyes: I hope Andrea's turned out better.

We had so much fun having you guys over that we're thinking of doing another get-together at the end of Feb or beginning of Mar (depending on my schedule), and then one more at the end of the season like last year.

post-7070-141842356141_thumb.jpg

Mike, SLRs are great. There's a finite number of snowboards you can reasonably own..but there's ALWAYS a lens that you need for some reason.

I'm sure I'll find that out in time, but first I have to learn how to use all the fun features. All the best lenses in the world won't help if the user has the wrong settings selected :rolleyes:

This was one of the first days of shooting action with the camera, so it can only get better from here.

I'm sure I'll find that out in time, but first I have to learn how to use all the fun features. All the best lenses in the world won't help if the user has the wrong settings selected :rolleyes:

This was one of the first days of shooting action with the camera, so it can only get better from here.

Beyond shooting surfers and skaters, I do a lot of photography from a moving skateboard on the boardwalk in Pacific Beach (tons of crazy portrait opportunities) and for all those I end up shooting on auto or at least shutter priority with a fast shutter speed and the C focus mode where it constantly tracks when the shutter is halfway down. My body is like 10 years old and that function wasn't very refined but it works well enough at short focal lengths. I don't think anyone should ever feel diminished shooting on auto though, especially for sports.

I'd probably still play with cameras even if they didn't take pictures..

Beyond shooting surfers and skaters, I do a lot of photography from a moving skateboard on the boardwalk in Pacific Beach (tons of crazy portrait opportunities) and for all those I end up shooting on auto or at least shutter priority with a fast shutter speed and the C focus mode where it constantly tracks when the shutter is halfway down. My body is like 10 years old and that function wasn't very refined but it works well enough at short focal lengths. I don't think anyone should ever feel diminished shooting on auto though, especially for sports.

I'd probably still play with cameras even if they didn't take pictures..

I was in shutter priority at 1/200 and 3D focus, which is supposed to keep the moving subject in focus. I finally noticed that it would sometimes focus well ahead of the person or even the snow spraying up, but by then Andrea took over the shooting duties. Looks like C mode is definitely better for action shots like this, and some of these pics would have probably still turned out, despite the slightly slow shutter speed.

I'm definitely loving this camera though!