Note to New Members ×

Help choosing a new BX board!

andrion112

Hi all, I'm looking for some help in choosing a new BX board, and I'm tired of listening to shop guys try to sell me the stuff they happen to have in stock without answering my real questions.

I've been riding for 10+ years, got into BX 2-3 years ago, and I was using a NS Premier 159. It works, but I'm looking to get a dedicated board. A Kessler or Oxess is not really in the budget, so I'm looking at production boards like the Volkl Coal, Nidecker Legend, Palmer Crown, NS Raptor/Premier, etc.

First question, has anyone ridden these boards? Impressions of whether they are appropriate for BX? Any other boards I should look at? The last time I bought a board, rocker was a mad science experiment by mervin, but now its on every single production board out there. My instinct says avoid it for BX purposes. Any thoughts?

Next, I'm thinking of sizing up from 159 to 161-164. I'm 5'10, 150 lb. (177 cm, 68 kg). My understanding was that sizing up allowed you to go faster by distributing the same amount of weight over a greater surface area, thus reducing friction. This of course would have to be balanced against ability to initiate turns. Is my "old wives tale" correct? does anyone know the physics behind this?

Anyone of my size have any experience doing BX with a 162-163? FYI, my weight is at the very bottom of the range of manufacturer recommended weights for the boards I mentioned, hence my wariness of just diving in. Also, waist width is not an issue, i wear a 9.5.

Thanks in advance!

There have been a few limited production Nidecker NBX boards on Ebay for the last few months at decent prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NIDECKER-NBX-Race-Boardercross-164cm-snowboard-/290526610388?pt=Snowboarding&hash=item43a4bc43d4

He has a 159 too.

There's also this Oxess, but the seller appears to be AWOL:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35796

However, if you can swing it, I'd say try out a Donek Saber--made custom for you for significantly less than the higher-end European models you mentioned. It would definitely be a huge step-up from using a freeride board for BX.

http://www.donek.com/saber_race.html

Good luck!

Before I got my Oxess, I used a NS Raptor with success. Stable at over 60mph, remarkable for a board with some reverse camber, turn initiation is easy, carves well, stable off jumps.

Review here

http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/review/never-summer-never-summer-raptor-10-11/productid/6669/showproduct.aspx

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your responses!

I've never heard of Donek, but I will definitely check them out.

F2 doesn't seem to make the Eliminator any more, but I'll see what else they have in their line as well.

The only problem is that specialty boards from companies like Donek don't really go on sale! But I'll keep my eye on the For Sale boards here, and hopefully snag one.

Cheers!

F2 doesn't seem to make the Eliminator any more, but I'll see what else they have in their line as well......

........But I'll keep my eye on the For Sale boards here, and hopefully snag one.

If you are looking one, let me know through PM. I may let go my BX setup at right price (F2 Eliminator WC + Catek FR1)

F2 makes 4 versions of the Eliminator.

Sean (Donek) makes some killer stuff and is a long time Bomber friend. I've been on one of his Inclines (freeride/ old BX-ish) shape for a very long time.

Thanks for the link. Not sure how I missed that on their site! I plan on giving Sean a call this week after the holiday.