Note to New Members ×

schweitzer report

Pusbag

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best last day of the year in a long time,

I avoided the sunshine saturday new year crowds and went strait up Big Blue (n. back country). Snow was very spring like with a corn glaze but the steep untracked turns on the face were glorious.

6612046543_852486cbb0_z.jpg

after that I was chillin at the wang shack and hooked up with some of the lifty crew to check out the newly monikered "hippy hut" off the back of little blue ridge run.

I brought battery powered christmas lights to brighten the place up.

Started off the new year with a half day of riding. Good conditions on the slopes today. Had some voodoo going on though. Sent 1 guy to the hospital (fell on ramp twisted ankle) and had another guy hurt his knee(tree well). Both of them had never ridden with me before, both tried keeping up with gimpy, both went home with tail between there legs. Lesson don't try to keep up with gimp ass!

Holy spring skiing batman, scraped up slush on hard pack made for happy turns today.

Hooked up with a skilled sit skier from michigan today. He was making nice turns on the most complex state of the art mutilink sitski suspensions I've seen yet. looking forward to riding with Conner & his brother Hank the rest of the week. Hoping for more snow and getting all gear heady. This is the second guy I've talked to about getting Donek to build a custom squal sized ski (120-130 waist around 190 length) built for the hardware of a sitski.

nice to see the adaptive evolution:biggthump

The alpine board builders are a godsend to us gimpasses. They can and will build custom products to suit our needs while the big companies are not able to be as flexible. I ride a custom 4x4 prior(thanks, Chris) which accomidates my 12 inch stance along with other things to make me rip. Will be having thirst boards from right here in north idaho make my next ride. Then donnek will make me one after we ride together again @ NICE next year. Sean is A1 for making badass sitski boards. If that was my situation, I know I'd need a pow stick and a full blown carver too..

So had a awesome day of carving it up with kram and boardski. Really good groomers and sunshine to soften it up a little. We got almost everything lined out for NICE, schedule coming soon. Hope everyone else had as much fun as we did.

put me down for Wednesday after lunch for a clinic and Thursday at 10:00 if that works for the schedule.As for video it does seem most effective to have an actual time to have riders pass through an area that I would be filming but I do intend to randomly follow people around with a camera.

great turns today with the crew, spring ski conditions and really good cover considering the recent drought.

If we even keep the pack we've got (racers coming here to train) NICE will be a success.

Talked to Fran yesterday and the condo is a go.

Will start another thread soon to sign up and reserve a bed.

Was pounding the plate with boardski and kram. Not the funest to ride but was rewarding due to the fact that if you didn't have your technique perfect board would want to washout on you. Forcing you to do everything right. Praying for a good pow day.

icon6.gifSchwietzer rub in

<hr style="color: rgb(51, 153, 255);" size="1"> :p1st good pow day in 2 months at 6" of fresh brought the powhounds out of the woodwork Tue. and the summit pack up to 72" the front side was hacked up by 10am.

Overnight was clear & cold so wed. morn (dried out tue's snow) was the best carving groomers of the season,

the drive up

6684919029_312e6ddee2_b.jpg

Got the 185 carbon gs higher on edge than ever before. switched to the 165 nidecker for the bumps and steep, carved run wide perfect c's on b-chute (40*+ winchcat run in the pic) after making a couple bump runs and powder 8 tracks

6684937935_8345fe8912_b.jpg

Wow what a pow day ! Rode my prior 4x4 and probably should have rode my pow board instead. Did a little swimming today due to the board choice but also laid over a few turns on the groomies. Had a guy comment on our tracks apparently the ruts stick out like a sore thumb. Hope everyone had a good day of riding. I know I did.

Wish I could come back up this week! That snow was just starting to hit on Monday towards the end of the day. But the wind, cold, and trying to get my girlfriend to actually link turns carving made it a short day. Still got a few good runs in on vagabond. Loving the donek plate, my softboot buddies were complaining about the ice and my prior was railing!

After the pow yesterday ice seems like a distant dream. Epic conditions of face shot, blown-in pow on siberia, after they reopened 6(snowghost).

Found ourselves trying to traverse thru knee deep pow to get back to the run off stella, Should have just turned in the fall line and walked out the nordic trail. lesson learned

Today should be almost as good even though it's tracked up.

Had to work till 1 pm but still managed to get in a hour plus of riding. Found some refrozen windpacked powder that was fun to ride off trial run. Groomers were too soft for all out carving however I did lay a few trenches for good measure. See you all out on the slopes tomorrow with Thirst snowboard carve session.

Started off trenchin' up chair 2 since it opens first. Groomers were a little firmer today. Then I couldn't take it anymore, riding up chair 2 you could see the pow glowing on the top of the triple so off I went. Nice wind pack about 6 inches or so. Then to the backside for some lakeside chutes which was very delicious however the lift lines sucked.

Becki and I got up there just before lunch time, talked to Brudda Dane in the parking lot as he was leavng.

Even though the snow was skied up and turning to moguls by noon, Becki was having a great time on her new atomic powder skis, and I found the oxygen proton 185 gs (once owned by Anton Pogue) to be amazingly forgiving in the soft bumps on Revenge and chewed powder, even switch.

It's either built for someone much lighter than me(195#), rather worn in or a bit of both. I was just amazed at how well it ripped the steep, soft bumps, and change-up crap off piste. Switch was a breeze but really hard carves would wash out.

Such a different animal than the 185 Identity carbon gs, which has bombproof edge hold, is uber stiff, though same dimentions w/a bit more effective edge, but is very unforgiving in chop.

anyway happy wife = happy life:biggthump

Thanks, Becki's new acl seems to be close to 100%

Good luck in the race Dennis.

I'll definitely be up sunday late morning, hope to make some runs with you. Russ and maybe Dane will be there part of the day.

Talked with a hardbooter while sitting around the fire in front of the outback sun. afternoon.

Cliff had a burton coil and suzukas, he kinda mention having old gear but I told that was a great all mountain setup. Invited him to NICE, hopefully we'll have a few 1st time participants this year.

PS the 185 proton Kicked a$$ in soft bumps and even pow:biggthump