Note to New Members ×

Afton 2011/2012

trent

yuck! only made 4 runs, then left. way, way too soft. snow would not hold any type of aggressive carve. not even semi-aggressive. days like this, it's good to have a season pass!

-trent

Sounds like you need a crud board. Do I have a deal for you...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

top few inches were snowcone, ice underneath. possible to carve, but had to ride very balanced. too far forward, nose would fold and give out; touched the snow, or inclinated too much, snow would give out. oh well, with the forcast for the weekend, and next week, i thought i should try and ride while it still felt like winter, not summer. :smashfrea

rode with paul most of the morning. hopefully we'll see more of him next year!

-trent

Starting Monday March 12th, Afton will close at 6 PM. The Spring Fling is scheduled for Saturday March 17th. The season beyond the Spring Fling depends on the weather.

Go out and enjoy what is left before it is gone.

The Warrior Dash is set for June 30 & July 1.

3/11/12

Great day for crud busting. Very soft and lumpy on top with permafrost below. 2,7,16 were all fun given the weather. Not super carvolicious, but fun. Hoping this is not my final day of the season, but given the weather forecast for this week, not sure if there will be a Spring Fling. If the Thunderstorms next Saturday materialize, there may be no chair lifts running.

3/17/12

Spring fling and last day of the season. When is the last time that happened?

Most unusual conditions: 78F and boarding. Never have I been on skis or a board when it is in the 70's. Best way I can describe conditions is "summer glacier like." Slush and water on top of the semi-permafrost base. The opposite of hero snow (villain snow?). Not a day to work on eurocarving. Nonetheless, I left my temporary mark on 2, 3, 5 and 7 looking for the right snow. Best to just enjoy the moment

There wasn't enough snow to set up a course for our annual toboggan race. For the water skip, I was in my swimsuit in case someone didn't surface. I was most comfortable with bare legs.

For snowsports, Afton is now closed for the season. Despite the almost complete lack of natural snowfall, the snowguns made some wonderful white stuff. Kudos to the snowmaking team that despite a week of temperatures 20-30 degrees above normal, we were able to enjoy one last day. Thanks to everyone for another memorable season.

See you next season in November or December.

nice! was that scott that made it?

I think it was John R. From what I gather, KSTP was there early and didn't want to stick around until 2:30 PM for the event, so they sent a few riders early so KSTP would have some footage. That's why so few people are watching. Even I wasn't there yet. Much clearer shot in the you tube video. You can see the broadcast camerman in the background. I stayed inside the snow fence to the left of the box. Nice dry spot to help point out lost equipment to the participants.