Note to New Members ×

Hernia recovery times?

Jeffrey Day

First time on a board in hard boots(15years ago) first bump I came to(8"), just like on skis I just hit it, wow, right groin, sharp pain, two minutes later nothing, next day, same bump, same jump, wow, left groin sharp pain.

Three years later my right groin started a small hernia, 15 years later it's a medium hernia, waiting for the left one to evolve, don't want surgery, to many repairs due to failure by the material applied, yuck.

If it isn't hanging in your hands what's the hurry?

It's a two week no lift, 2 month very little lift, recovery, riding is totally out of the question for 2 months or don't bother with the fix cause you'll blow it out.

jmho

My sweetie has been putting off hernia surgery for about a year now. His would be a repair at the sight of an old hernia surgery so it would be a fairly extensive repair and he was told 2 weeks of no activity at all, don't know what the schedule would be beyond that. We found that kinesiotape with a small piece of thin neoprene underneath it, applied just right, keeps his guts in pretty well. He has few limitations on his activity right now with the kinesiotape, so he'll just keep doing that until it quits working.....

Hey Jeffrey,

I had one done in 1994 when I was 24. I was back on my board within 3 weeks. The doctor did not recomend this however and said to give it at least a month. I fell and took a hard hit to the surgeory site. It hurt but not so bad that I stopped riding. If I were you I would get it done as soon as possible and you'll still be able to ride most of the season. I guess it also depends on your age. The older you get the harder it is to recover.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the responses! So let's see, I've had my hernia for at lease 10 years. And for the most part, it hasn't bothered me or limited me from doing all the things I enjoy. Snowboarding, cycling, even working out with weights at the gym.

But during this last month of November, I've been in more discomfort than usual. And I think the straw that broke the camels back is this past Saturday, I went for a bike ride and it was bothering me while riding. Which never happened before.

So, I figure at my tender age of 44, and in ok shape, might just as well get the ball rolling with my doctor to get it repaired. Or at least re-evaluated.

We'll find out more Monday morning!

Back in the day, we used to have to do layered closures to reconstruct the inguinal canal. The surgery required 6 week healing time, mainly because that was the time needed for the tissues to regain 95% of the tensile strength they had prior to the surgery. The suture material is not that strong-I broke a strand of 0 vicryl with my hands one day to demonstrate to a 17 year old kid why he needed to take 6 weeks off of football. Nowadays, they position a mesh over the hole laparoscopically and staple it in. Would I still recommend taking 6 weeks off? Yes, the mesh/staple combo is not as strong as the scar that's going to form over it with time. I'd let that scar form if I were you. I think that too many surgeons are recommending too short of a time to recover and not thinking about wound strength issues. Just my $0.02....