Note to New Members ×

2011/2012

So Killington is open now - but I'm not going to make the drive for what looks like 2 trails being open. Looks like Hunter wants to open November 19, and I spoke with the people at Camelback (poconos) and they said they are predicting opening December 2nd! That would be great to start the season that early here.

I will be riding primarily at Camelback this season, mainly because of the great season pass deal they had running and also because I want to compare their grooming to Blue's. We'll see. Can you tell I can't wait????!?!?!!

Nick, I may do the same next season. I had already purchased my Early-Bird pass when I got Camelback's email & pricing (substantially lower). While CB is further in mileage, timewise it's about the same as Blue for me.

I do like Blue's terrain choices better but I'm :( of some of their schenanigans and pricing.

CB lets pass holders on the slopes earlier than the general public also :biggthump

Keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how much riding you guys have done at Camelback, but I taught there awhile back.... late 90s, I guess it was.... I rode at Blue Mountain one season too before I left the east coast, but maybe it's hard for me to make a comparison...

BUT, I will say that Camelback has many narrow trails with sharp turns and merging trails. I had taught at Shawnee prior to going to Camelback and that was on thing that worried me there.... that, and all the drunk people! I did enjoy my time there, but nothing compares to my move west!!!!! :1luvu:

I'm headed out tomorrow for Day #5 (one day each weekend since we opened)... I hope you guys get snow soon .... I'll do my snow dance for you!!!!

Went to Blue with some friends today. Mainstreet was open, the top of which was actually pretty decent. The 2 trails open were chopped to hell, and it was massively crowded. I did, however, have a good time :D Not worth the price $40, but for "early" season I'll take what I can get. First day on the metal board and it was ....I'm speechless, at how solid this board rides (Donek FC 171). Will be at camelback from here on out, just not today because they were only open until 4pm :confused: but of course the terrain park is open until 10. All in all...I'm stoked for this season

NickG, good to hear you're happy with the new board. But you took it out in that melee??? It's like taking your new Lamborghini to the mall parking lot the day after Thanksgiving!

Yes, that's frustrating about Camelback's (surprise!) special early-season hours closing 4 pm when you have a 3pm-close pass... hope to get there Thursday and/or Friday... DAYTIME!

JP1, did you get the Blue River Special? Bet you had a great trip!

Kinpa, narrow trails 'r' us. But Camelback has "Pocono Raceway", under the lift, which is really nice and wide, wider than anything else I've ridden around here. I'd ride a 20 m scr board there in a heartbeat (after clearing everyone else out). The rest of the trails do seem a little narrower than those at Blue. Hoping good grooming makes up for it.

Camelback reports 8" new snow... anyone know if that means manmade?

Blue was making snow like crazy all day today. The surrounding area is green grass.

"JP1, did you get the Blue River Special?"

Darn near every day, 1/2 for breakfast and 1/2 for lunch @ the hill :). I thought about 'changing it up' one day :eek: but decided against it :D.

"Bet you had a great trip!"

As always. Wasn't the coverage like last year, but plenty for me & had a good time with great people :biggthump......

teach, Did you try the BRS ?? Was Blue worth the drive ?

Kinpa, narrow trails 'r' us. But Camelback has "Pocono Raceway", under the lift, which is really nice and wide, wider than anything else I've ridden around here. I'd ride a 20 m scr board there in a heartbeat (after clearing everyone else out). The rest of the trails do seem a little narrower than those at Blue. Hoping good grooming makes up for it.

yep! I remember that run.... one of my favorites too, but kinda of a pain to get to(????) I remember skiing there as a kid when it had a t-bar.... ahhhh, the good ole days! What was the run that snakes down under that lift on the left side of the mountain? Is that Nile Mile?? That was fun if you could make a clean carve around those turns!

I count my blessings now.... let's see if this picture posts from my first day on snow this year.... this is what I call wide!!! (not well groomed because it was November 20th and the first weekend of the season!)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2677411421233.2155021.1434665666&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=2677413661289&set=a.2677411421233.2155021.1434665666&type=3&theater

shoot, don't know how to embed that photo and I'm at work, but ya get the idea!

Man this sucks! Blue is way too convenient for me, but I did second and third guess myself for getting a pass this year. Well if anyone decides to slum it at Blue and you want someone to ride with let me know. The price increase must have came from the huge terrain expansion, somehow two trails magically appeared on the trail map. How does a trail go from being "a" trail one to being three trails the next?

Greg- who is going to give me a hard time now :(

Anyone going to ECES this year?

Jesse

Jesse, I was planning on going to ECES, but now may do SES instead IF they ever get snow :confused:.......

On the bright side, I did see 5 flakes :eek: today (other than myself).

I wasted the $$ on a Blue pass :freak3: again, will ride every morning I can IF it ever gets worthwhile.

I'm sure glad santa brought me a new board with 'wheels' on it !!

Camelback wasn't half bad today. I was surprised to see that somehow they made snow, enough to cover (pretty well) some new trails. The one next to Pocono Raceway was open, moderately wide, and not insanely crowded. I couldn't get anything to work, but it was still fun, and my fault, not the snow's! Lots of carving boards out. Never seen that many, ever, anywhere. Tomorrow morning, anyone?

Blue had hideous grooming last week when I went. Like so many days last season. What a shame. Hoping it's improved--I'd like to ride there a few more times this season. Anyone go today?

JP1, no, Blue wasn't worth it, except that if I hadn't gone I would have just sat around thinking about it and not getting anything else done.

Jesse - me and my nephew are planning on hitting eces this year...not sure how many days but we will for sure show up. Planning to toss in a few road trips this year. Hunter, Bellearye, maybe peak. the way things are looking may have to drive to find some snow. I'll be in Utah with the wife from Feb 3rd to the 10th. As we get closer to Eces we can touch base. Hoping to make it up to Blue before then.

Chubz - sad to hear you won't be getting your usual riding time this year. Blue will not be the same without you - I'm sure. Maybe you can brush off the dust and come out to Eces.

I wish the season would start already = this blows!!:barf:

Obviously I wasn't ! Made my first trip to BM this morning :( it will be my last for a while barring a Blizzard. Greg, not getting a season pass this year 'saved you some $'.

Thinking POSITIVE, I didn't waste $400.00 on a 'Weekday Only' pass this season, I SAVED $ 100.00 by NOT getting the 'Anyday Pass' :freak3:.

Needless to say, It Will be my last season pass @ Blue for a while. I know they ARE doing the best they can do with the crummy weather, but conditions are horrendous. 1 run was 1 too many. People, ICE, Death Cookies, rocks & good old east coast hardpack :barf: Oh, Did I mention it sucked :confused:What WAS I thinking ?

So I expect cookies and marbles on our pocono trails. Let me just say that yesterday I had an incredible day. INCREDIBLE. Hopefully it stays this way for a little while, but half of the reason it was so good was pure luck:

Camelback mountain. There's the decent nile mile trail that's wide and steep enough to get some good carves in, but it's usually packed. Yesterday was no different and the snow was quickly turned into just piles of ice balls. :barf:

The main carving trail, pocono raceway I think it is, does not have snow on it yet. Next to that trail is what USED to be the big hit terrain park (huge jumps). However, I don't think they are making that into huge jumps this year; it's just open. There's a lift that usually serves just pocono raceway and the old big hit run, but yesterday that lift was off. You could, however, get to the old terrain park run but bombing it down Pharoah (the single black diamond) and cutting left really hard. I had to unstrap half the time and skate up the hill. but....

This trail is easily 30-40 yards wide, with large rollers on a generally aggressive blue/intermediate slope. Because the only access to the trail was to bomb it down Pharoah, and unstrap, and skate up a hill...noone was on it. Camelback's groomers must have hit it the night before because it was just perfect, packed courderoy. I felt like I was out west on some giant trail on a tuesday morning. I learned so much yesterday - My friend with his gopro got a few shots of me and the trail, so I will be posting those up soon. Having that width, snow quality and lack of people was amazing. No wonder I see guys out west who are just rediculously good - they must get this all the time.

If that short lift that serves pocono raceway is still turned off, I would highly suggest hitting up camelback sometime soon and trying for this trail. I ran it all day. Also, this proves a theory - that grooming can only go so far. If skiiers and skidders had been on this trail i'm sure it would be been cut to crap and just full of marbles, too.

good luck! pics/movie tonight

I think that trail (Rhododendron Glen) is intended to be the big park, but they couldn't make enough snow. Until last night. They've been blowing piles of snow onto it nonstop. I tried to ride it last evening but it was too piled-up (and had to walk back). That trail was great last week, though. Can't wait for Pocono Raceway to open--I think races start Jan 7 or 8 so it should be soon.

The Nile Mile was remarkably good this morning. Watch out for rocks, though.

Oh, yes, it snowed slightly yesterday afternoon. So winter is officially here!

I rode Elk on Sunday-spring conditions and limited terrain but had a great day as the mountain was empty and my favorite run-the one under the quad was open and empty. Heading up to Elk again on Friday-It is Buckmans day or something-discounted tickets were available at Buckmans but were limited-Joe

camelback - good point about the rocks. Several trails were littered with them, each from a tiny pebble to a few inches across. Nothing too terrible, but I do have some small scrapes from them:AR15firin

I reviewed the video footage last night, i just have to throw it in my editor. sucks to hear that trail is gone, but I guess pocono raceway will be largely the same deal. When are the races? are they going to block the trail off at the worst possible times like they do razors edge at blue?