Note to New Members ×

are td3 SW recommended for big feet/high stance angles??

hoffmac11

just as the title says, are td3 sidewinders recommended for big feet(mondo 30) or high stance angles?? the reason im asking is because, bomber specifically says, and i quote

The key is this: the SideWinder binding give us control over where we want the motion. In this case it is only side to side but your toe to heel motion is still locked down for that edge power you need.
and since i have bigger feet, my toes are going to point more towards the nose of the board, which i would think i would be losing toe/heel pressure since the bindings want to roll sort of speak.

whats every ones thoughts?? also, i dont have much ice at all where i ride, so im leaning more towards the td3 standard...not sidewinder.

I've been using Sidewinders for a short time. I just went to a larger-footprint boot (UPZ 29) at the end of last season and had to increase angles to maybe 62 degrees--the sidewinders still felt great. I was curious about this, too, though, so want to hear others' reviews. Seems obvious they'd be a bad idea at 90 degrees...

I run very steep angles / 70-65 / I favor narrow boards and with M29 boots , it is what works.

First. I believe the TD3 SW are the logical progression and like all previous BOMBER INDUSTRY products they are THE standard and both well thought out and quality products.

I used the SW with the blue elastomers and enjoyed the movement initially.

I modded mine to make them Intec compatible. My impression. With perfect conditions , chalky , firm, well groomed surface I felt that the board required more edge angle to match previous TD3 performance. With those conditions I didn't really need more flex so it was as if I was riding a longer board/ greater scr. I also noticed a slight delay and rebound , my theory is this is during the loading and unloading of the elastomers.

I might add I have been riding some form of a plate and Snow Stix and Tinkler TNT systems for several years (all of which effect the flex and feel of the board)

I think they are a God send for the lighter riders and those that appreciate more flex.

I would also state that when Fin comes out with the TD3 SW SI I would look at using them again. Perhaps with the rumored "Black" stiffer elastomers.

just curious what binders work better then TD3 WD on big angles.

F2, Catek?

I'm choosing 1st bindings and got bigger feet so that's very interesting to me.

I think you mean TD3 SW? (sidewinders)

For your first bindings they would be great!! If in doubt, use the TD3 Standard bindings (non sidewinder)

Catek is also pretty rigid / similar to TD3 bindings

F2 is more flexible / more like TD3 SW bindings.

Each have similarities and differences.

If you are new to alpine. You need to create a starting point. All of these are excellent bindings. The TD3 SW is the latest and greatest (so to speak) Coming from softboots, I would definitely suggest the TD3 SW bindings.

If you are new to alpine. You need to create a starting point. All of these are excellent bindings. The TD3 SW is the latest and greatest (so to speak) Coming from softboots, I would definitely suggest the TD3 SW bindings.

Exactly what i think about it.

I think you mean TD3 SW? (sidewinders)

For your first bindings they would be great!! If in doubt, use the TD3 Standard bindings (non sidewinder)

Catek is also pretty rigid / similar to TD3 bindings

F2 is more flexible / more like TD3 SW bindings.

Each have similarities and differences.

Yes, SW. WD stays for my upcoming board.

I understand that top-of-line binders would be great for noob, and i won't get any problems with them. But they're definately out of my budget. And seems TD3 too.

I'm looking for TD2, f2 race ti, or OS2. may be even used one. Anyway my question was a bit another:

What is a drawback of sidewinders when you got a big foot?

Or just what you should look to when you got a biig foot(and weight matches foot size =).

so it kind of seems like bigger, heavier riders with big feet should probably not go with sidewinders..im 6'5" and weigh in at 215lbs with all my gear, so i would have no problems flexing the elastomers..i also wear a M30 boot. i get a kick out of boards that are 19.5cm or less..my feet would practically be straight on the board! i kind of feel the typical alpine boarder is less than 6' tall, no more than 170lbs, and a boot size around 26..

anyways, so it looks like ill be ordering me a pair of new td3 standards from bomber :biggthump

I'm 6'2" nearly 200 lbs even before gear and most of my boards are 19-19.5 cm waist. Around 60-62 degrees works for me with my M29 boots. Once you get past 45 degrees the "bang for the buck" of a degree starts to get big. Wider boards like 22 cm just let me back off 2 degrees or so, nothing dramatic.

I don't have any problem with the e-pads (blue). I have even used yellow e-pads; very surfy feel, nice on the right board.

Bomber doesn't make wimpy gear!

well i may have lied a little about my weight...im probably more like 215 naked..so im most likely around 220 or more with my gear..

but for my boards i dont want to go narrow for my first board..i just picked up a donek 180 blade thats 23.5cm at the waist..so chances are, my stances wont be to high..but i wouldn't think i could use yellow e pads at my weight..im thinking more like the red pads would be my go to e pad..but thats a new thread topic...

yellow? i weigh a solid 220lbs and id be to afraid of not having that locked in feeling.i do alot of super g skiiing, so i like that stiff, solid feeling..granted alpine boarding isnt skiing, but still..i enjoy speed and hard carving..

TD3 Std.s with yellow elastomers/ you will still feel locked in. Trust me!

We are not talking about the TD3 SW yellow elastomers. The base cant plate is not going to feel sloppy. I am at close to 250lbs and push pretty hard on long stiff boards. The cant elastomers is the least of your issues as a new hardbooter :eplus2:

I don't have any problem with the e-pads (blue). I have even used yellow e-pads; very surfy feel, nice on the right board.

thats what makes me afraid of yellow pads..the surfy feel..i like to feel locked in.id rather have a board over sensitive, than feeling likes its lagging.over sensitive means i need to learn to ride it, and lagging means its not right for me

thats what makes me afraid of yellow pads..the surfy feel..i like to feel locked in.id rather have a board over sensitive, than feeling likes its lagging.over sensitive means i need to learn to ride it, and lagging means its not right for me

l think , he is referring to td3 sw elastomers .

I know this can be confusing. TD3 SW vs TD3 standards. The sidewinders have two different elastomers.

post-198-141842348665_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842348992_thumb.jpg

I currently run F2 titaniums and bought them for the flex on purpose. They are the only binding I have ever ridden, although I am purchasing SWs for this coming season (and a second board kit as well). Flex is best, in my opinion (can I copyright "Flex is Best"?). It creates a forgiving ride, but as you progress in hardbooting, you will find you have control and precision "within the flex" of the binding, boot, etc...

You essentially need to look at your set up as a system; at a minimum, you should consider the boot/binding interface as the most important (since people tend to sell boards off quickly but hold onto their bindings). Bomber, due to interchangeable pads, gives a lot of options here. Decide where you desire stiffness (for precision) and where you need flex (for forgiveness and style).

Remember that style is not form, and form is not style. Stiff set ups force form, flexy ones style (for a very general, everyday rider that is).

Yes, but usually that stiff set up results in poor form, especially in a newbie. Even it he thinks he is Bode.

Ink

Brilliant.

Hoffmac, we are not beating up on you. I am sure everyone is , as I am excited to see you moving to alpine. Know that you will not be the first to be humbled while moving from soft boot alpine carving to hardboot alpine carving. Know that advise given by BOL members is 99% of the time given in the spirit of camaraderie. It is often a shock when you finally get on snow with your first set up. It will feel like you were cast in cement. Every suttle movement is transmitted to the edge. This is good!! It is often a bit uncomfortable till you get your stance/ angles dialed. Wishing you the best of experiences, Bryan

Video of your first turns on an alpine board requested please.:eplus2:

^^ i understand, and maybe im getting ahead of myself, but im use to speed and hard carving..im a well seasoned sg skiier that typically pulls out 213cm skiis..the last thing i want is to feel 'softness' between the boot and skiis..or boot and board in this matter

Yep. As long as you are willing to re-access as you progress and learn from the new information, you will be fine. An agressive nature is a big plus for this sport. It takes trust and a willingness to "GET ON IT" to advance. You certainly sound like you have that spirit. You will do well as long as your first experience isn't too brutal.

Hoffmac, we are not beating up on you. I am sure everyone is , as I am excited to see you moving to alpine. Know that you will not be the first to be humbled while moving from soft boot alpine carving to hardboot alpine carving

dont worry..i never even thought anyone was being hard on me..ive been in several racing scenes so im use to attitudes, and how to deal with them..its all good..

and im not exactly a beginner on alpine boards...ive got a dynastar alpine board, most likely 20 years old,with some pig checker bindings, and the board is about 160cm long..did i get you saying what the hell are pig checker bindings? ya i felt that way to...anyways, i rode that old beast a few times last year and could actually carve it, so thats what got me to upgrade to some new technology..hell i think that old board weighs 40 pounds..my new donek aint no where near that...and i used my ski boots to try to learn to carve..so i didnt really have a great set up.

[

Yep. As long as you are willing to re-access as you progress and learn from the new information, you will be fine. An aggressive nature is a big plus for this sport. It takes trust and a willingness to "GET ON IT" to advance. You certainly sound like you have that spirit. You will do well as long as your first experience isn't too brutal.

i dont want to come off as a hot head or what ever, but i know i will fail at first learning to alpine board, but i know from my past experience failing is all about learning...and honestly, how frustrated can you get sitting on top of a mountain? theres only one way down..so you have to learn how to get down sooner than later

Video of your first turns on an alpine board requested please.:eplus2:<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

trust me, the go pro will be recording...and you will be the first to know of the upload..for some reason, i love seeing myself crashing..last year skiing in spring time, i was going down a wall and when i was carving, i let me ski tip get under the snow and my ski popped off, and for about 30 yards i went on one ski and soon enough i went for a tumble and some how ended up on my feet..and even funnier, both skiis were stickin up in the snow like toothpicks..hmm now were is that video..i want to watch it again