Note to New Members ×

Rugby World Cup

SunSurfer

"someone needs to pull argentina in with you lot and make a southern-hemisphere quad-nations. "

Without looking down on anyone, it would be 10 times worse than putting Italy into the 5 nations; Argentina are outclassed by the trinations.

Would be better to have them (and the Pac Islands) in the super 14 via a club competition, and then have more regular tests against them.

The havenots are the big losers in rugby at the moment for the good of the game they need to stop pilfering players from the pacific and actually encourage some sort of Pacific Island league participation somewhere.

Argentina vs. Samoa, Tonga, Fiji....arguably more interesting contest.

As for Wales, I hope they win; ABs will clean out Wales for sure if they make it through; for some reason the French are a lot more of a bogey team and so are more scary.

Can't get ahead of ourselves yet though.... still a big game to go!

someone needs to pull argentina in with you lot and make a southern-hemisphere quad-nations.

Argentina are in from next season. The Tri Nations becomes the Four Nations.

Kieran, I was cheering for Wales but spear tackles have to banished from the game. It has to get to the point where they just do not happen. A school mate of mine who went on to play for the All Blacks died as a result of one. We could do with someone like him now, he kicked 4 dropped goals in 9 games for the All Blacks.

http://stats.allblacks.com/asp/Profile.asp?ABID=10

That said, France do not deserve to be in the final, but Wales had plenty of other opportunities to win the game.

SunSurfer

Was I ever happy to log on to Stuff this morning and read the good news. It sounds like it was a solid game for the AB's too.

I soooo want to be at home right now. :( I can just imagine Auckland is going off ... I'll bet there's a lot of people late to work this morning. If we win next weekend, that's going to be the biggest party since we defended the Americas Cup ... and THAT was a party.

And speaking of SBW and not being too bright... that shoulder charge was a meathead thing to do. That's not going to win him any gold stars from coach Henry.

SBW put about the same intent into it than the tackle from the Welsh; started it, then yanked the power from it, but in both cases, the right decision was made to send the bloke off.

In league that sort of thing would be fine....in union these days, it's stupid and pointless (in both cases).

The Welsh tackle was unfortunate, because once he'd sent the guy up, he didn't force him into the ground; however he chose to put the guy up there....so he has to accept he screwed his team over by not playing the game by the rules. he owes his team mates; this was probably their shot at making the final.

Exactly the same applies to SBW - idiot move and I hope that we aren't going to keep throwing money at the guy to stay around. Send him off to play club rugby in Europe, is where he belongs. We were just lucky he did his typical idiot move, only 2 min from time.

Allee - the ABs played with heart, with passion and with a mindset of letting nothing go past; I have not seen that much blood in a while; bleeding from bone crunching tackles. They also took points each time they could; it could easily have been a bit more of a gap but Weepu was a little off kicking wise (had the flu) but played like the man he is.

The Welsh tackle was unfortunate, because once he'd sent the guy up, he didn't force him into the ground; however he chose to put the guy up there....so he has to accept he screwed his team over by not playing the game by the rules. he owes his team mates; this was probably their shot at making the final.

Nah. That sure as hell didn't help, but they had four? chances to put kicks on the board, and they missed them all. You can't do that at that level. Hell, one would have won the game for them.

I would way rather have played them in the final than France. I think it would have been a much more entertaining game, and the crowd would have been more entertaining than the match!

Anyway, digging out the black jersey and scarf to wear around town on Saturday. Go the Blacks - bring it home, boys. It's been a long time coming.

PS - why, oh why, do they insist on having the final on a Sunday night??? If we win, the entire country will be shut on Monday.

yeah, the Welsh could have won the game many times, but anyhow, I hope i don't live to regret saying this, but the Northern hemisphere semi final I don't think either team would have been able to get away with playing like that against either NZ or Australia and not seen a blow out in the score.

Final is on Sunday to squeeze maximum revenue out of the tourists I guess...dunno. Maybe more of a gap from the 3rd/4th playoff?

Anyhow, i don't think i ever heard the crowd roar like that (on TV) from Eden Park...hoping to see more of the same this coming weekend...assuming the entire city of Bangkok doesn't end up going 'waterworld' in the next 2 days (as is predicted)...

PS - why, oh why, do they insist on having the final on a Sunday night??? If we win, the entire country will be shut on Monday.

There is a hope that the country will be recovering from a collective celebratory hangover. The timing for the holiday weekend was definitely deliberate.

SunSurfer

Thank god for that.

it wasnt elegant but it was a fair result.

24 years!!!

Allee r u a sailor as well??

Make that me too. There was one guy they interviewed who said "I was sitting with my friends, but I had to go and sit in the corner because I couldn't watch. I felt sick." That would have been me. It was great to open up Stuff this morning and see Richie holding up the silverware - and then when I read the score it was like - oi. Kidos to the French, it sounds like they played a huge match.

Not a sailor, but I used to work for one of the CC's sponsors back in NZ, and I have a friend who sails it pretty much every year. Amazing time this year - 119 miles in 5h 44 minutes - that would have been one hell of a wild ride!

I've really enjoyed reading the comments on the WC.

I have great memories of my 9 months in NZ - back in '75.

The firm I worked at (Mason Mesco) had an All Black prop in a corner office. He was much more productive on the pitch.

I was lucky to see an international friendly with Scotland at Eden Park. Pissing rain and 50,000 plus in the stands.

I played rugby in high school -English boarding school and loved the sport and comraderie. Given I still play soccer, I often remind my "mates" that the thugs game of Rugby is played by Gentlemen!

I'm also 1/8 Welsh, but according to my better half, I didn't inherit the choral gene. I too would have loved to see the Welsh contest the cup.

I still miss a quart of DB bitter and oddly the 7pm closing time.

Thanks, for the memories.