Note to New Members ×

New to Minnesota

mjw210

I just moved to Minneapolis from PA and will be looking to get out as much as possible this winter. Any Minneapolis residents have recommendations on which mountains to go to or stay away from? Which mountains are the go to mountains for alpiner's around here?

Greetings, and Welcome to MinneSnowtah!

Where did you ride in PA?

We have a fairly large alpine contingent in the Twin Cities.

The forum is pretty quiet during the summer, but if you were to look through the archives of previous posts,

you'll get a better sense of who we are, and where/how often we like to ride. : )

Stay tuned - There is also a yearly carving gathering - called the Minnesota Expression Session or MES.

Where we all spend a day together shredding the slopes. http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32570

That's been at Afton Alps the last few years - and previous years has been at was Welch Village.

There are carvers who frequent most hills in the Twin Cities.

, Wild ,
, &
Are all unique and each have something to offer.

Because of size and location, quite a few of us gather at Buck Hill on Sunday Mornings to carve.

Some Sunday's we'll have 3-4, and other Sundays will see as many as 12.

(I'm buying my Season's pass today or tomorrow before the price goes up.)

Also quite a few riders are hitting Afton Alps.

If you want to make the Drive, Duluth has Spirit Mtn which offers some much longer terrain, and one of the only high-speed chairs around.

Have never been to Lutsen myself, but have heard that narrow tree-lined runs are not great for big carving boards.

Hyland Hills.

There are a couple runs that are decent for carving, but at 172' vertical, those runs are not particularly long.

During peak times is often very crowded, trying to accommodate many of the local ski and snowboard teams.

(Including the best Alpine snowboard teams in the Twin Cities.......The

)

Terrain there can easiy be broken up into "Quarters."

1 quarter is beginner/bunny.

1 quarter is park (with two high-speed tow ropes.)

1 quarter is skiable terrain

1 quarter is skiable terrain that is more often than not covered with training gates.

For these reasons, I wouldn't highly recommend it for casual carving.

Looking forward to meeting you this season!

~Karl

Awesome, that's more info than I was expecting.

I just graduated from Lehigh in PA, with Blue Mountain as my home mountain (1,000 vertical feet, not too shabby for PA), but went around to Camelback on occasion. This past season I was out on the mountain 3-5 days a week with my schedule, it was amazing.

I'll probably join up on Sunday nights, and hold off on my season pass for now since I don't know how much free time I will have with my new job. I've been skiing for the past 18 years, boarding for the past 6, and have only been on an alpine board for the past 4, so I'm still trying to get it completely down.

I just moved to Minneapolis from PA and will be looking to get out as much as possible this winter. Any Minneapolis residents have recommendations on which mountains to go to or stay away from? Which mountains are the go to mountains for alpiner's around here?

welcome.

where in the metro do you live?

stuff from last year

Thanks.

I'm renting a condo in the Riverview towers over on 1st street right by the river. Just moved in on Tuesday, and I think I'm finally settled in.

you picked an interesting area to live. no shortage of things to do. i'm thinking that the 35W bridge should be in good working order.

definitely check out the state fair.

is this a permanent move?

For the next year or so yes, so after that I'll see how this new job works. I may be trying to push a transfer to an office in Denver if possible (no offense to people who love the midwest), but for now I'm staying here.

Yeah, that was my plan too. 3 years later, I am engaged and own a house. Not going anywhere. I am originally from MA, and one of the things you will love about mid west riding is the quality of the snow pack compared to PA or the east coast. I only have experienced true boiler plate 1 day in the last 3 years riding here.

I recommend Afton if you have a Monday-Friday 9-5 job. I go there some nights and weekends and there is enough trail variety to be able to rip some turns. Some of the other hills and even Afton on occasion get really sporty in the peak times.