Note to New Members ×

Burton cant ?'s (semi urgent)

FTA2R

hey guys,

I just got a burton universal cant- it's not like the other circular one i have though. I think I know how this one works but need confirmation and commentary -). I don't have my gear with me now so I can't actually try it out.

1. which is better? the circular cant or the sorta rectangular one

2. I rec'd 2 wedges, even though the packing slip says it's 1 universal. can someone confirm each "wedge" is really just a separate cant.

3. I don't see any degree markings??

4. is the procedure for mounting this cant similar to the circular cant? this cant has the plate built into the center of it. I tried placing it under my race binding and the 3D patterns definitely do not match up when I align the cant so the engraved word "nose" is perfectly horizontal.

leaving for utah in a day, please advise

thx,

Barry

can you redescribe the cant plate??

the universal cant that i used to use had two pieces of plastic and one metal thingy. used to be that you attached the metal thingy to the board, then you plunked the bottom piece of the cant on that. the metal thingy (remember, i only use technical language) had 4 arms that lined up with ridges on the bottom piece however i deemed it suitable. then the top piece was placed on that in a "locked" position (the two plastic pieces had teeth) that achieved the desired degree of canting. the binding was then mounted to the metal thingy (the top of which rotated freely. mine started rotating a little too freely and was thus rendered useless), tightly sandwiching the whole thing together on top of the board.

also, the metal thingy had about 20 different holes in it which helped to make it universal (as in work with both 4 hole adn 3 hole patterns).

good luck. i wish i could pretend to have any useful knowledge. but in the one in a billionth chance that i have the same canting system as you, maybe your fears will have been lessened by now.

just be sure to screw everything in tight. i suspect that you're gonna be alright.

oh, and if you do have the metal thing, there is probably a tab on the top part of it. make sure that's in an appropriate hole (a notch towards the nose of the board on the bottom piece) before you put your binding on. otherwise it won't serve it's purpose.

Alpinegirl,

what you've described here is the 8 degree universal cant, which I have the instructions to and used last year. What i Just received now are 2 irregularly shaped wedges each with a semi oval metal plate notches (the metal interface to the actual board). I'm pretty sure the procedure is the same, but right now I'm just having some trouble with the orientation (but I also don't have my board in front of me). thx for the info.

ps where exactly is pumpkin hook?

---

Barry

Alpinegirl, you were awesome with your description of the cant disc, really!! I have one of those discs in my closet and I haven't used it for years, when I read the original post I was thinking "how did that thing go together?" You nailed it! In your techie speak! Mega props!!

Phil,

many thanks for the offer. I read earlier that SLC was getting snow. Damn, I really wanted to ride hard setup. My friend is intent on hitting snowbasin and perhaps powder mtn, so at this point it looks like we won't be able to do PC, but I'll try to convince him otherwise. again, many thx for the generous offer.

Barry

Guest AlpentalRider

is your "wedge" a rectangular shape canted from one corner to the other? And then the metal insert goes in the middle of the wedge?

If so, then what you received are two seperate Max cants (7 degree cants).

Edit: I just saw on the alpinecarving.com site that the Max cant is also refered to as the "universal" cant, so it must be it. Here's the exerpt from that site:

"One problem with Burton bindings is the lack of adjustable cant/lift. The bindings come with a single hexagonally shaped 7º wedge (called the Universal cant) for the rear foot, and that's it. Burton stopped selling the 3.5º wedges a few years ago. The 7º wedge comes with two interchangeable center metal pieces: one for use with 3D boards and bindings, and one for use with the 4x4 boards and bindings. You can't use the wedge to convert between 3D and 4x4. When buying used wedges, make sure they include both metal pieces. Burton previously manufactured two cant/lift accessories that you might find for sale used: the Varicant and the Unicant:

The Varicant is a set of shims that go between the binding base plate and the toe and heel pieces of the Burton Race Plates. They don't work with any other binding. You can add lift and cant for angles between 0° to 4°.

The Unicant is a set of two stacked disk shims that allow you to dial in a cant/lift angle from 0º to 8º in 1º increments. Unlike the Bomber TD1 cant/lift disks, you can rotate the position of the Unicant on the board in 15° increments to achieve various combinations of cant and lift. The Unicant can be used with many types of bindings and fits both the 3D hole pattern and the 4x4 hole pattern. Unfortunately, with a diameter of 19 cm, it adds to the footprint of the binding, distorts the flex pattern of the board, and creates dead spots. The Unicants also have about 1º of rotational play, which is really annoying. The bolts that hold the Unicant to the board (hidden under the binding) tended to come loose. The Unicants tended to break easily, and that's probably why they were discontinued. "

I own both the Unicant and the Max Cant or "universal" cant myself.

so in conclusion i have accidently learned far more about burton cants than i had ever imagined possible. thanks guys!!! i like to be as well informed as possible about this gear since i wish to be as helpful as possible when people ask me questions about all this stuff. i suppose they want more information than "hardbooting rocks!"

(now to one day get a pair of TD 2's to match my dream board from coiler as i move to a larger mountain)

ps, the correct expression to use when asking about the location of pumpkin hook is simply "wherethehellis." it's in western NY and appropriately farm country. there's even a story.

hey guys,

thx for the info. alpinecarving is a great site and I checked it last night but apparently missed that part. The terminology can be slightly confusing to those not intimiately familiar with the stuff, as I'm quite postive that the burton cant I already had- the circular 8 degree cant- is also called a Universal cant. The new one had no degree markings. And i guess it's just a rear cant, or did i misread that too. anyway, going to pick up my board now.

utah carvers i know you're getting hammered hopefully i'll see you out there!

Barry

Burton usually shows the cant installed on the rear foot, but if it works for you up front, then go with it.

Personally, I use 7 deg fixed cant/lifts (The "Max" cant as described above) under both the front and rear bindings, each slanted toward the center of the board - think Leonardo's "Vitruvian Man". I have a 29" inseam, and doing this allows me to comfortably ride in a wider stance than with the bindings flat.

Hope this helps.

yup, got the pics, thx, but I had no idea who you were, lol, I get tons of hacker emails b/c of my job so I was afraid to download the zip file at first.

yes that's the universal cant that i used last year. the ones i rec'd are actually different, not circular. I'm going to mess with it in a little bit.

thx for the help,

Barry

One thing about the fixed cant from burton, they used a special binding disc so everything would line up. I remember looking at the only burton plates I ever bought and thinking, "now how does this center disk line up???!" Then purchased a fixed cant and having an "AHA!" moment. Wish I had a pic to show ya.

Guest AlpentalRider

I can take pictures tonight as well and post them. I have both the Max cant and unicant. You can compare to see if they are the same. The max cant isn't circular, but rather rectangular.