Note to New Members ×

prior atv - does it not suck?

xy9ine

to whomever might be hanging on the boards this time of year. i've rehashed this a bit on a couple threads, however...

on the verge of pulling the trigger on one for a soft snow plaything. yes, it's not latest tech, but the numbers look fine, and the price is right. other options are the 4wd (perhaps a bit narrow, short of nose for optimum soft fun), and pow stick (perhaps a bit wide on hb's, too pow specific for an all round soft / crap / bumps / whatever plaything).

i've almost convinced myself. moral support or discouragement appreciated!

I haven't ridden the AWD, but I own an older 4WD that I love. It has an old school nose shape, but carves like a champ and is fully all-mountain capable. Having said that, though it can handle soft stuff, I agree with your assessment that it's not the best tool for powder / soft days -- it's more "I can handle these conditions fine" than "I'm taking fullest advantage of these conditions".

I've been riding an ATV for four years now and I don't think it sucks at all. It is an all-around board, easy turning (wedels beautifully) and fairly floaty. Not my favorite for pow or railing groomers, but it does both pretty well. I can have fun on it all day in almost any conditions. Very predictable and consistent responses. FWIW, I displace ~185lb and ride a 171 (maybe 172 - I forget).

The board has held up really well, although I haven't ridden it all day more than a few times (instructing on softboots most of the day). The only problem I've had is one insert that spun, and a bit of insert suck developing in the base, otherwise very robust.

Idea 1:

ATV - Ask Chris to carry the scr a bit more into the nose (more decamber) and to add a bit of extra carbon.

Or, <drumroll> to build it with titanal?

Idea 2:

Spearhead - build one with narrower waist <24, talk to Chris how much stiffer it needs to be...

Idea 3:

Look for a used Nidecker Proto, SG Cult, F2 ElDiablo/SpeedX, Tanker (in that order)

Idea 4:

Look for a new 3800

Idea 5:

Skip the 4WD. It's an awsome board, but mostly for plow-carving.

• 5 months later...

I love my 167 ATV, it's the board that I take whenever the forecast calls for chopped up snotty snow, crud, and crust.

I like how its nose handles these conditions well, that it has enough stiffness of flex to power through variable conditions, and how quick and manouverable it is in trees and moguls. I also appreciate the fact that it was designed to be compatible with either soft or hard boots - while I don't ride softies, my younger daughter does and it will be a great transitional board for her to get to the dark side when she gets older....

About the only knock that I have with it is that it doesn't handle super high speed carves well due to its relatively small SCR, but then again, it was never designed for that purpose...

Geo