Note to New Members ×

1st day hardboot carving - blown away!

Stef1

After many years of trying to carve on soft boots and getting frustrated by the lack of edgehold and the pain in my feet from trying to tighten my straps for more control, I finally decided enough was enough and decided to venture into the world of hardboots. I spent weeks browsing this forum and posted a few questions to find out what board I should get (thanks to all the members who replied - your advice was invaluable!). Finally I decided to splash out on a custom Kessler (I already have the Kessler bx and I live in Switzerland so it was an easy decision): 168 cm, 21 cm waist, 27 nose, 26 tail, 11.3 scr, radius tightening towards the tail (thanks to BlueB for that good piece of advice).

Yesterday I took her up to the local glacier and was completely and utterly blown away! The incredible edgehold, the control at speed, the ease of transition from edge to edge, how every input you make is so efficiently transmitted to the board, the total lack of any sliding, the comfort of the boots, the ease of putting the bindings on...my first hardboot experience totally surpassed my expectations in every way possible!!! :):):) I was also surprised at how easy it was - admittedly, I was going down empty blue runs on soft snow but it only took me a 3rd of the slope to get used to the board and then I was carving away with a s**t-eating grin on my face. My first thoughts on getting to the bottom of that hill were: why didn't anyone tell me about this earlier!? ; ) And, I can't believe I don't see more hardbooters on the slopes given how much fun this is.

After 5 runs, my legs were like jelly from the increased g-forces but I was as happy as I'd ever been on a snowboard. I have been converted!

post-10852-141842344724_thumb.jpg

how every input you make is so efficiently transmitted to the board
this. and with it comes more control. and more fun.

you should bring the angle of your back binding up a bit once you're used to it, so you don't boot out. i suggest pokkis' fuego method for setting the rear boot angle. :biggthump

Even tho I don't snowboard anymore and was more of a freerider than a dedicated carver when I did, I loved the control of HBs. No heel lift, no feeling like my foot was going to torque off on the lift....I wish my ski boots felt half as good as my Deeluxe boots do.....

Oh, and PS, I think your rear bindings are fine. I had previously torn up my right knee and had to rock shallow angles, too....

I will try using steeper angles the next time I hit the slopes. My problem is:

1) I am severely knock-kneed with very splayed out feet so I'm not comfortable unless there's a difference of at least 15 degrees between my bindings :freak3:

2) And I have mondo size 30 boots so I have to have fairly steep angles at the back if I don't want my boot to stick out. I tried setting up the angles at home to avoid boot out and ended up with 50 at the back and 65 at the front - we'll see how it feels on the slopes. Bizarrely, from the posts I have read on this site, most people get boots with a mondo size that corresponds or is slightly smaller than their foot. But, for me, I had to go two sizes bigger otherwise my toes were being severely compressed by the front of the boot (Deeluxe 325).

If you have a severely knock-knee to try so- toes on your front foot forward (lift)and the hind legs raised heel( lift too). You have to use the binding canting (3-6 degr.)in front and rear leg and the canting in the shoe heel.

Huh, Tatoos, that's some confusing info...

Stef,

Knock knee problem is normally compensated by canting of the boots' cuffs inwards.

A bit of overhang of the rear boot is not too big of a problem, especially in the begginning. 65/50 are reasonable angles to ride. If you can drop to 60/45, it could be more all-mountain friendly...

Most severe problem seems to be the boots. If you bought 2 sizes up from your measured mondo, your boots ARE TOO BIG. Do not ride them, eventually you'll hearth yorself. Smaller boots felt too short as you didn't mold them yet.

This mistake is often made by inexperienced people buying boots without guidance.

Congratulations on the conversion!

Lausanne is a great place - I rode for a day with a friend who lives there, up on Leysin. "Unfortunatey" it snowed heavily the night before so wan't fantastic carving conditions, but I think that mountain could be a lot of fun in hard boots.

Glad you've joined us HBer's Stef1! Carving is so addicting. Welcome to the disease we are all afflicted with! :ices_ange

You'll know you're afflicted when you start wishing for snow in the summer, trolling YouTube for carving visa, and buying other toys that help simulate that carving sensation. I always start getting irritable and antsy around October.

Dave

You'll know you're afflicted when you start wishing for snow in the summer, trolling YouTube for carving visa, and buying other toys that help simulate that carving sensation. I always start getting irritable and antsy around October.

Dave

LOL - I think I'm already afflicted. Managed to convince the girlfriend that it would be a good idea to drive 7 hours to go to the Hintertux glacier next weekend!

Congrats and welcome home, brother! :biggthump

Finally I decided to splash out on a custom Kessler (I already have the Kessler bx and I live in Switzerland so it was an easy decision): 168 cm, 21 cm waist, 27 nose, 26 tail, 11.3 scr, radius tightening towards the tail (thanks to BlueB for that good piece of advice).

Are you sure it is tightening towards the tail? Like, the radius is getting smaller towards the tail? That would be the reverse of the recent trends that have been dominating world cup racing, with sidecuts that get longer towards the tail. Kessler has done so much to promote that, I'd be surprised if they made you a board the other way around. Also I'm not sure how that would be possible when you also have a centimeter of taper (tail narrower than the nose).

Well, I spoke to Mr Kessler about wanting the tail to tighten and he seemed to clearly understand what I was after and acknowledged that their stock boards were built specifically for racing and were not necessarily ideal for freecarving. I think the sidecut is something along the lines of 11-13-12. I'm not an engineer and I'm clueless about the relationship between taper and sidecut but it does have about 12-13cm less taper than the stock Kesslers (which I suspect has something to do with the change in sidecut characteristics?)and on the slope I do notice that it continues the carve for longer and feels more locked in than my stock Kessler BX (though I haven't compared it directly to a Kessler Alpine)...

Anybody out there understand the alchemy between taper and sidecut?...

oh, cool. Whether it's 12-16-14 or 11-13-12, it's still overall longer at the tail than the nose, and that's good. Wow, you've got the first Kessler VSR! Special board you got there!

My take on that is here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/newhotness.cfm

Scroll down to where it says World Cup Designs if you don't want to read the whole thing.

Well, I spoke to Mr Kessler about wanting the tail to tighten and he seemed to clearly understand what I was after and acknowledged that their stock boards were built specifically for racing and were not necessarily ideal for freecarving. I think the sidecut is something along the lines of 11-13-12. I'm not an engineer and I'm clueless about the relationship between taper and sidecut but it does have about 12-13cm less taper than the stock Kesslers (which I suspect has something to do with the change in sidecut characteristics?)and on the slope I do notice that it continues the carve for longer and feels more locked in than my stock Kessler BX (though I haven't compared it directly to a Kessler Alpine)...

Interesting, and welcome to the carved turn. I just went down the road of updating all my older gear, minus the bindings...no decision as of yet...after being out of the game for the last 10 or so years. I ended up ordering a custom from Kessler as well. Wanted a Freecarve oriented version of their Alpine shape. After explaining this and giving my weight (225lbs), etc. he informed me he knew exactly what I wanted. This ended up being his Alpine, 162 in length with a 23 ww. I inquired about the KST used and his confirmation in reply was as follows:

Hi Randy

Yes we used KST = variable SideCut.

It is starting with 7.8 in front going up to 11 in the middle and down to 8.8 in the back 11m is the biggest one on the center section.

Hope this is helping you

Very best regards

hansjuerg kessler

So, I'm currious as to Jack's comments above and from what I gather with my feeble mind, this would seem to be a hookier turn than his normal build. Maybe this is his main mod to make this board more freecarve friendly...don't know, but I'm darn currious now. He sent me the board in April, so I've not had a chance to make any turns on it as of yet given I live on the East Coast.

Randy

Jack,

I'm waiting on the new 5D MK 111, or hell, maybe even what FF Nikon has coming soon to replace the 700. We'll see. :)

oh, cool. Whether it's 12-16-14 or 11-13-12, it's still overall longer at the tail than the nose, and that's good. Wow, you've got the first Kessler VSR!

Nope, not first. I had a 22.5 wide 10/14/12, Flywalker's got it now.

I also believe that some of Canadian team boards had a bit of "hook" tail...