Note to New Members ×

Pond Carving

johnasmo

Oh yeah, I was so caught up in posting pictures poached from Big Mtn Photos that I forgot to mention the back story!

It was a field of 63 competing for a $1000 prize. Progressive rounds being made more difficult by gates on hill AND in water and lowering of the start point until farthest skim wins. Winning combo was dredman and a Coiler (NSR 182?).

post-1861-141842344158_thumb.jpg

What's the water temp.?

Frigid. I believe the water comes from the ice covered snowmaking ponds further up the mountain; so just a few degrees above freezing. But the air temp was good -- I took two more runs from the top of the mountain after splashing out of the pond skim. No more ball slap inside the one-piece ;), but was tolerable until my hands froze.

Our pond skim event is this Saturday and the resort decided to build a double pond because last year was 'too easy'. So they say... I did not make it across last year but I blame that on too many shots of whiskey.

This should be interesting!

post-831-141842344249_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

We used to do this across a tarn at Mt. Baker back in the 60's when the Austin tow was still there. Cutoffs and work gloves. Lost about half my skin to sunburn one year after sporting a great one-day tan for a week.

It's amazing how sssllloooowww late-June snow gets!

The "official" Slush Cup got shut down because of drunks falling off the highway afterwards - a major advantage of destination resorts.