Note to New Members ×

Chewing gum on base ?!?

Dan

I was in the lift line at Mt. Hood today and suddenly my board felt really sticky. First I thought my back toe bail was dragging, but it wasn't. Then I thought maybe was on a pine cone, branch, etc. but there wasn't anything under the board either. I wrote it off to sticky spring snow.

I did think it was kind of weird that my buddies weren't having any trouble, and was going to take a look at my base when we got to the top, but the melt/freeze snow was softening up to perfect consistentcy, and we were having too much fun to stop...so I didn't get a look at my base until about 4 runs later when we called it a day and headed back to the car.

!@#@!! Apparently someone spit out their gum in the liftline, and I ran over it. No wonder my base felt sticky.

So, any suggestions on how to get this off my base? I'm thinking all-purpose citrus cleaner followed by base cleaner, followed by hot wax and scrape. Any other thoughts?

post-30-141842343699_thumb.jpg

alcohol will get gum off of most anything.

What kind of alcohol? I think I have vodka, gin, tequila or rum to chose from. :-)

I'll go hit it with some rubbing alcohol and see how it goes - thanks for the tip.

Looks like it was a nice day??

If you waxed your snowboards more often the gum wouldn't stick to it. :1luvu: Just kidding and jealous of your carving day!!

Hey! I did use the Wax Whizard in the morning before heading up. It rained yesterday and froze overnight though, so the base had a pretty tough time of it today -- it's possible there wasn't much wax left by the time this happened.

Pretty much ice until 11 or so, but then things started to soften up a bit, and 11:30 to 1 was pretty damn nice. The Grant Myrdal photo guy was out on Daisy Bowl (under the base of Cascade), and we did a couple of laps there, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he got some good shots.

Wish I could have a word or two with whoever spit their gum in the snow...:AR15firin

Success!

I alternated rubbing alcohol and citrus cleaner, and finished up with base cleaner. The rubbing alcohol definitely softened up the gum and let me pull chunks away, but it didn't do a very good job of lifting the part that was adhered to the base. The citrus cleaner didn't seem to do much at all. The base cleaner picked up (dissolved?) the remaining bits of gum that were actually contacting/stuck to the base.

I'm also happy to report that apparently combining rubbing alcohol, citrus cleaner, and base cleaner does not seem to produce toxic gases. :)

I'm also happy to report that apparently combining rubbing alcohol, citrus cleaner, and base cleaner does not seem to produce toxic gases. :)

I didn't even think about that!! :eek:

It was interesting to read about your misfortune with that gum. I've never heard of anyone getting gum stuck to their boards, ever!!

Speaking from experience.... Brain damaged people have trouble detecting their own brain damage. Just sayin'! :);):smashfrea:smashfrea:rolleyes:

my second suggestion was going to be rub ice on it to freeze it then chip/slice it off with a wax scraper. Glad that worked though.

Would going 30mph over ice cover slopes count? I think that is what Dan had in the am. Perpaps by the time he collected the gum it was corn snow though.

I think it is all his fault for standing in a lift line. ;) (we need a sacasim smilie)

I think I have a new smarty pants question to ask fellow riders that are laggy.

"Dude, I think you need to check your base for chewing gum!!"

Dan, I think it might have come off in the pond skimming event?? Are you going for it this year??

Does your chewing gum lose it's flavour on the P-tex overnight?

<embed wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/3dKIM31D9blqgdf0f" allowscriptaccess="never" height="415" width="480"></embed> <div style="font-size:0.9em;">

<a href="http://vodpod.com/watch/367626-lonnie-donegan-does-your-chewing-gum-lose-its-flavor-on-the-bedpost-overnight'>http://vodpod.com/watch/367626-lonnie-donegan-does-your-chewing-gum-lose-its-flavor-on-the-bedpost-overnight">Lonnie Donegan - Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight</a>

- Watch more <a href="http://vodpod.com">Videos</a> at Vodpod.</div>

Hah! The mountain photographers just put up their photos from last Sunday...they caught a <a href="http://meadowsactionphotos.smugmug.com/Daily-galleries-20102011/sun-april-17-vista-exnates-way/16724465_3zGfxP#1261968710_NjhKskw">

classic photo</a> of the chewing gum in action. It smelled like strawberry and peppermint, no doubt a new product from one of the many local / artisan food companies that Portland is becoming known for :rolleyes:

Speaking from experience.... Brain damaged people have trouble detecting their own brain damage. Just sayin'! :);):smashfrea:smashfrea:rolleyes:

LOL! whut duz that have 2do with mi? ;)