Note to New Members ×

UPM and 4X8 Inserts

Puddy Tat

This is a weird, and probably stupid, question and maybe Bruce, Sean, or Fin could chime in and answer this but does having 4X8 or 4x4 insert patterns along with a UPM inserts on one board negatively affect the strength of the core at all? Every time I've seen a board like this it always looks like a lot of closely spaced holes.

I'm asking because future carving boards I buy from now on I would like to include the option of UPM plate mounts.

Thanks,

Dave

As an add if it doesn't I'm assuming it has to do with the way the core is built in that the core "stringers" ,for lack of a better term, are in line with the long axis of the board.

I assume that every insert gets healthy fiberglass reinforcement, so it's likely stronger/stiffer than if the inserts weren't there.

One note: if you're getting UPM inserts, get the front foot's pattern moved forward one hole. If you look at the UPM pattern drawing (Fin posted it somewhere), you'll notice it's shifted rearward from the center of the 4x4 inserts. Fin and Snowman have mentioned that having the front axle directly under the ball of your foot is best. On my Coiler NSR (with the standard UPM pattern) I can just do this with a 19.5"-ish stance. Anyone with a wider stance would have to either have their axle a little rearward of this sweet spot or move both bindings rearward. The rearmost holes on the front foot's pattern are so far back that you'd need a very tiny stance width to ever use them.

Consult your board builder if you have concerns about the core strength. I have been riding a new Coiler AM for a month now constructed specifically for a plate it has enhanced 4x4 as well as extended upm inserts to allow for a longer plate than is presently avaliable by other plate makers. It handles like a dream as i knew it would after riding my own plates for two season. Bruce is fully aware of the reasons and results achieved by constructing boards for this design and will assist you in choosing the correct configuration to enhance any board you wish to match up to a plate. The choice of the correct stiffness of plate is important to achieve maximum comfort and control as well as matching the correct board flex to rider. The load on the inserts is greater for the 4X4 than the UPM so my recomendation is that if you are a heavier rider go UPM if you are buying a new board. Pay attention to the plate discussions i think some modest changes are under way for next season.

First off, at some point, you're likely to notice a change in the posted UPM pattern. You're going to find that the shift to the tail for most of us is going away and the pattern will be centered on the 4X4. As for making the board weaker, intuitively it would, but experience has shown that there seems to be no adverse side affects. When I first began making boards with both hole patterns, I expected to see a lot of failures. This has not been the case. I've only seen two broken boards this year. While the cracks did, in some cases, go through the extra holes, they did not seem to be a contributing factor to the failure. Both boards broke when and where they should have.

Thanks to everyone who added.

Reassuring that the board isn't being ridiculously compromised by the extra holes.

That's interesting that the UPM is shifting forward, thanks for posting that Sean. I'm really leaning towards a plate for next year.

Cheers,

Dave