Note to New Members ×

knee braces...

Sharkey

to all you guys out there with 20 something years on snow (this is year 22 for me)...

I haven't really ever worn a knee brace and am resistant to it. Riding my alpine isn't ever really an issue, but when I ski I sometimes have issues. A few weeks ago I dumped it whilst trying to get the feel of some new skis. I felt my knee come out of place and snap back. Everything functions fine (for now) but I am 90% sure damage was done. Most of the time it's ok, but when I don't move for a while it stiffens up and I can't move it. The walk to the jon in the morning is interesting as I have steel/screws in my foot from an old MX accident...

anyway, what's the best inexpensive brace for something like this? I need to get through a trip to Jackson Hole and Winterpark before I can get it looked at or have any sort of repair done... Mid April.

No inexpensive brace will do what you need done - you need something like the custom-made CTI brace. I rode and skiied with one for 6 years before finally having the knee rebuilt. They're expensive but they work. It's helpful to wear a pad on the other knee to protect you from the hard hinge.

on the Donjoy. If your lucky enough to have insurance coverage use it. Mine covered 80% and i still put out 400. I too have no acl and don't plan on surgery.

Plenty of squats and leg exercises helped 100%. Don't think i really need it now but i wear it for backup and in case i get T boned in that leg again. Pity the poor MF who hits that leg:eplus2:

Asterisk Knee Braces

http://www.asteriskbrace.com/

main_cellle.jpg

I was talking to Josh, a hard core telemarker last night about the fact that his beloved bomber bishops on 130 wide skis are non-releasable.

He wears the asterix on both knees and swears by them. Said he took a double header on uber steep that day and was really glad he had them on.

At 1/3 the cost of custom or the donjoy they are a bargain that doesn't skimp on quality.

Asterisk Knee Braces

http://www.asteriskbrace.com/

main_cellle.jpg

I was talking to Josh, a hard core telemarker last night about the fact that his beloved bomber bishops on 130 wide skis are non-releasable.

He wears the asterix on both knees and swears by them. Said he took a double header on uber steep that day and was really glad he had them on.

At 1/3 the cost of custom or the donjoy they are a bargain that doesn't skimp on quality.

Just make sure you can try them on. Fit is VERY important.

I find the lacing system a pain in the ass with the asterix.

Here are mine that I use for Moto.

http://www.podmx.com/

I don't board with braces.

I have two sets of the Asterisk's, one for Motocross 3 days a week and another for use when carving. I've had 3 ACL replacements in the last four years, so i'm very committed to the braces. I don't find the lace system bad at all, you can unclip the fasteners at the back of the brace without loosening the laces much. The next time you go to put the braces on there is very little tightening to do to make them snug and comfortable. One other features that i like is they now come in a few pretty colors (ha) and also for $10 a pair you can replace the hinge stops, which is something you would want to inspect often. Hope this helps.

I've had no MCL and partial ACL for 20 yrs now from hitting a tree riding pow in ski boots. My knees were very strong then from 100+ day seasons & telemarking on 205 alpine skis and I got away with no repairs and no brace for a long time.

I now use a brace on that leg in my old age as a preventative and to carry the weight of the board on the chair ride because it makes the loose knee sore.

If I ever go back to skiing rough terrain I'll get a second one. On a board, the 2nd brace is not as important on the good knee with both legs locked together.

The brace I use is from my wife's mcl injury 15yrs ago, is a y frame like asterix, but more minimalist & very adjustable for lower leg alignment.

The official word from Orth-pods is to NOT wear a brace with a healthy knee.

This is tricky though. I am rather fit and active. I chose to wear my braces when I ride my motorcycle in the woods to prevent injury from roots and ruts.... I only do this once a week in the summer, if that.

Anything that I do on a regular basis (i.e. snowboarding, mountainbiking...) I do not wear a brace because theoretically it will not let me knee strengthen as it needs to for that activity, there for weakening my knee......

I have talked to a couple of Ortho-pods about this and still hold to the official statement of no brace for a healthy knee.

no brace makes perfect sense. I really like the idea of having one on for MX/woods riding though. My issue should hopefully be minor and fix itself over time with a little bit of rest and downtime. Both the asterisk and pod look nice and not super expensive.

I think wearing a heavy duty brace with no injury is pointless. the body is and amazing thing and too much of a brace will later on create a weekness where your body stopped working and the brace acted as a crutch. However the use of just your basic ace neopreme cuff with patella cup does not overpower the knee but acts as a knee warmer. Keeps the knee fresh, lubed and cold AM creek and crack free. not using on would be like playing hockey without pads or football without a helmet... to each their own, but my acl tear would have prob been accompanied by miniscus and mcl had i not been wearing my trusty ace "knee warmer". good luck