Note to New Members ×

OT: MP3 Player Recommendation

fishrising

Can anyone recommend what I should buy if I want the following features in a single device:

1. MP3/WMA/etc. Player

2. Ability to store data along with MP3s

3. Drag and drop MP3s straight to the device when connected (no manufacturer software req'd)

4. USB connection built-in, so no cables required (nice to have, but 1 cable would be OK)

5. FM Reciever (nice to have)

6. No drivers on WXP or WS2K3 required to transfer data/MP3s to the device

This can either be flash media based or hard drive based...

Anyone recommend some good websites that reviews MP3 players?

Thanks NCERMAK,

I forgot to add #7...

7. Upgradeable to >1Gb via flash memory or a larger hard drive based player.

I have a RIO Cali 128, it works great, for what I bought it for, the gym. It is upgradeable via SD cards, but it requires proprietary s/w to load the device with data or music.

I want to go plug-n-play and drag-n-drop in WXP and WS2K3.

I think this is a great player. 1 AAA battery for 8-11 hrs of life. Size of a pack of gum. I put mine in my glove and run the cable up my arm to my Giro Fuse audio helmet. Attach a clip with a button to mute on my jacket shell. I've got the 256 MB player which holds around 40 tunes. Does everything you want too.

Guest ibsailn

I have an Ibead 150 rebranded by Jens of Sweeden as the 110. It has all the things you were looking for, holds 256 mb (larger ones now available), is super small, is quite customizable with hacked firmware if you so choose, and has a great battery life due to the li-polymer battery. Charges right thru the integral usb connector and is barely bigger than a thumb drive which it doubles as when you aren't listening to music.

See ibead-online.com or http://mkv25.net/ibead/index.php for a great ibead comunity.

I just went through that decision process for my wife - bought her an mp3 player for the gym for x-mas.

First I looked at flash based players (preferably extendable with memory cards). I thought those would be perfect because of size/weight. I found out for price to memory size ratio they are not that good and also in reviews some of them had bad ratings for battery life, user interface or sound quality.

Then I looked at hard disk based players from different manufacturers. Almost bought the one of the creative players. ...but ended up getting her the iPod mini. There are a couple of reasons for this decision. First of all I really like the design and user interface of those players (own a first generation 5GB iPod myself). I know it works great with either iTunes or musicmatch. I also don't really need wma support - ripped all my CDs into mp3 files. Memory size wise the 4GB of the mini should be good enough (on my 5GB I have 2.5 days of music at high qualite VBR mp3s).

If I want better compression ratios I can go to AAC which apple supports. So I again won't need wma support.

Another alternative that is out there is the latest XM radio receiver - the Delphi XM MyFi. It's basically a XM walkman that can also store up to 5 hours of XM program (TiVo like) for when you don't have reception. I probably would get that one for myself if I didn't already had a XM receiver for my car...

Hagen.

i have an archos(?) Gmini 20gb player. it has slots for flash media can store photos, data etc. can be used basically as an external hard drive. does req. i cable interface and software upgrade for radio reception. you can also get an upgrade to connect directly to your home stereo for direct recording (at normal speed, but if you have tapes or vinyl to archive and transfer) its pure drag and drop, open 2 windows and move simple! i'm really interested in this upgrade for bootlegging purposes; dont know if it would work but.....it also comes in a 40gb size. not as small as an ipod but doesnt bother me on the slopes or treadmill.:) overall pretty happy with it.-chris