Note to New Members ×

Board Search Challenge + Bonus Psa

ziolino66

Hey all! First off, I’m not sure if this post belongs here or ? It just seems to be more traffic here, and I’m looking for as much response/help as possible. Besides, I have always been one of those “funny snowboard guys on ski boots” (!), learning on an old pair of Koflachs, and carving on Burtons ever since. If a problem, I’ll move it (or someone can?) .

So... here’s my situation. For the last 10+ years I have been riding on the same equipment. My Sims Daytona 166 has held up incredibly well, and been a great do-it-all board! Boots were due for replacement long ago, but for the little riding I was doing (mostly on little local eastern hills) I couldn’t justify. I hardly looked at new gear, when I did, mostly for boots, carving gear seemed hard to find and expensive (sad and frustrating!). In the last while I started seriously looking (in stores + online) at what was now available. Online, I found cheap some basically new Salomon Malamutes (Down the road $ and life permitting, I’ll add a hardbboot setup).

Daytona finally died, so now I’m looking for help/advice in deciding on a new board. Although I don’t wanna give up the ability to carve/speed, I’m thinking I’d also like to be able to slow down and improve other aspects of my riding. No, I don’t want to become a park brat! Just looking for something a little more versatile/forgiving. Again for the near future, I’ll be mostly limited to small local hills, so that’s also affecting my thinking. Oh yeah, and I’m also on a really tight budget! Too much to ask???I’m 6’2”-190lbs.-size 9 boot. Here’s a list of some of the options I’ve found:

1-168 Elan Vertigo-few years old-good shape- Teach selling here on BOL-$300

2-164 Elan Vertigo-2000?model year-brand new! +(?)bindings-$80- problem is, can I trust a stranger on Craigslist to come thru if I send $80? Anybody in Colorado want to help us (for a fee)?

3-161 Option Vinson –2009?-new-$200 +/- Tried a Signature in 2000, and was really impressed!

4-162 Option Vinson-older?-good shape + Ride (?) bindings-$200

5-166 Arbor Crossbow- few years old-good shape-$ 150

6-162+166 Arbor A-Frames –various listings- I’ve heard there awesome, but seems beauty of the wood keeps prices high?

7-164 K2 Zeppelin-‘08/’09?-in wrapper-$249- Local box store- Wondering about the quality, and maybe too much compromise?

8-Either for me at another time another place, or as a PSA. For putting up with my long winded story, maybe I can help someone else find a deal? 164 Palmer Channel Titanium-year?-good shape-on Ebay, 1 day to go, so far 1 bidder at $100. I don’t know, isn’t this potentially a good deal? Aren’t Palmers stupid expensive? Sure as hell looks nice, and fast!

I’m open to any suggestions, and definitely appreciate any thoughts/advice. Need to decide and buy very soon. Also looking for bindings to complete setup, any available?

Thank-you very much for any help, ZL.

4-162 Option Vinson-older?-good shape + Ride (?) bindings-$200

This is one of my all time favorite softy boards. I've never ridden mine (2005?) with hard boots, but I've been on the lookout for a replacement for a few years now. Mine is trashed, and used only for early/late season at this point.

I really liked my Crossbow 166, and maybe it wouldn't be too narrow for you. That might be a good deal. I'm not sure what the difference between the Crossbow and A-Frame is. I think I even asked someone at Arbor and the descriptions sounded the same, except they had the idea at the time that a board for the half-pipe is not like a park board and more like a carving board, so they pitched the Crossbow for pipe riding as well as "backcountry" and so on. The Crossbows have nice wood topsheets, too, dark (pawlonia, whatever that is, nice grain though!) Very lively. The only odd aspect is the reverse VSR: the tip and tail have a bigger SCR than the middle. I was thinking of putting some flexy plate bindings on it and riding it with soft hard boots.

That Vertigo 164 must be a really old model, never seen one like that. Yet, it's Elan's top of the line board, can not be bad. If you PayPal the guy, you have very litlle to worry about. I did it few times of the Craigslist and came out ok.

Vertigo 168 rides a bit better then A-Frame 170, IMO. Smoother nose rise slices better, while the A-Frame want's to plow a bit on high inclinations, in chop. However, Arbors are absolute delight for eyes. Still have the A-Frame in my woody collection...

I can't tell you much about Option and K2...

All Palmer BXish models are nice, Crown, Ti, Carbon, Honney...

Other makes of longer boards that carve well, to keep your eyes open:

- Steepwater, Steep or Plow

- Winterstic ST

- Rad-Air Tanker

- Dynastar 3800 (more directional and pow demon, yet very versatile)

- Prior MFR

- Volkl Cross (very much an alpine board in softboot diguise)

Thank-you for the input guys.

Andy 1-Back when I was somewhat knowledgeable about snowboard gear (99-2000), Option had a really good reputation for quality boards. I've heard alot of different things about more recent years. Are you saying you prefered older versions? If quality was as good towards the end of Options existance, I thought I'd prefer #3-new. Any thoughts??

teach- on the Arbors-A-Frame vs. Crossbow, I wondered the same? Only idea I had was maybe A-Frame was a stepup in their line? Any idea of waist width on 166? Still really like your Vertigo, appreciate latest offer!

BlueB-Vertigo164 is 2000, based on topsheet design pics. found online. I thought Paypal only protected buyers on Ebay? Normally like to have "faith in people" but in phone conversation guy seemed somehow sketchy? Time almost up on Palmer-someone said they don't hold up well over time? found out it's about 8 years old.

Thanks again guys, really appreciated! ZL.

Thank-you for the input guys.

Andy 1-Back when I was somewhat knowledgeable about snowboard gear (99-2000), Option had a really good reputation for quality boards. I've heard alot of different things about more recent years. Are you saying you prefered older versions? If quality was as good towards the end of Options existance, I thought I'd prefer #3-new. Any thoughts??

I've only owned one Option board. It just happened to be a bit older. I wouldn't know if quality deteriorated. That does seem to be the trend with most mass produced boards though...