Note to New Members ×

Okay to buy and use Catek's OS2 bail bindings with my Hooger Booger Grinder 158?

Da Hooger Booger

I was thinking of getting some proper bindings, i figure i might as well buy the OS2's because they're a pretty widely used binding, and many carvers on here swear by them. Also, i don't mean to sound like i got paid from Catek, but just as they say, the independent cant and lift adjustments sounds like the ultimate. I'm pretty new to carving, haven't even gotten into a stiff setup yet. That's why i bought a Hooger Booger Grinder, figured a 158 would be a good starter board. The existing Wombat's that came with it are circa, what, 1995 or so? They're probably strong enough to use with ski boots, but they seem a bit too flexy for my liking, i mean, carving strains your bindings quite a ton. I just want to know whether the Cateks will be too stiff for the HB 158?

1) good luck getting cateks - not sure how they stand right now, but they were having some slow delivery times last I heard.

2) great binding

3) What boots are you riding?

4) careful with that board - IIRC you have a retention plate, not an insert pack - those OS2s may rip right out if you push it too hard.

If you're going to spend money, First get good modern snowboard (or AT if you must) boots. Then board & bindings. you can get a decent setup in the classifieds here for a few hundred bucks. I don't know "wombat" bindings - but I would be cautious in using anything of that vintage for everyday use...

You are lightweight, right? No need for Cateks or Bombers, especially not with the ski boots. The only advantage you'd get from Cateks is that you'll be able to figure out your canting/lifting setup, then sell them and duplicate the stup on simpler and flexier binding.

I'm relativelly heavy and aggressive, ride heavilly modified ski boots and can't ride TD2s without suspension kit or TD3 elastomer. Cateks I wouldn't even touch.

Wombats can work, if you can figure out how to add a bit of toe/heel lift. Otherwise, look into Snowpro Race or LTD, Burton Race Plates, F2, Proflex, etc...

As for the board, I belive it does have the inserts - both of my Grinders do. They are ok learning boards for lighter people and can make good all-mountain ride later on.

It sounds as you described rear entry boots? They are crap, sorry. Ditch them, even for ski application. If ski to board and back hopping is the requirement, then get AT or ski boots that are suitable for that - plenty of info available on Bomber forums. Otherwise, for boarding only, get the propper hard boots. Lots of good affordable stuff in the classifieds here.

Thanks BlueB, you're very knowledgeable on these forums. I appreciate it. I weigh only about 145, is it ok to have a bit of flex in those Wombats? I know some degree of flex is essential for a good ride, but i don't want them to be shattering when i'm at high angulation. Nor do i want to ruin the front end inserts, weirdly, the 158 only has 4 on the front, i guess i mean only 1 set of inserts.

Knowledgable? I don't know... I just talk too much ;)

Just inspect those old bindings for damages or any kind of stress and you'll be ok. Most important part is to figure out a way to add some toe/heel lift, especially if you'll ride them in ski boots.