Note to New Members ×

TD1s for Sale

Scott.Creer

Hello- what are you asking for the bindings?

Am a complete newb to this although I do ski. Should I learn to softboot snowboard first (you can probably guess what the softboot gang recommends)?

How many board carvers are there in the TC area? Any instructors?

Thanks for any/all advice- Paul

there's a few that go to buck; me, bobd, bionic man (erik), joe doctor, ben, bruce lore, speedzilla (dave), scuff (karl) and jessie. mud (doug) is MIA. kent smith is AWOL. usually there 2-3 carvers there on weekend mornings. i think the record we had was 9 that showed up at buck for no apparent reason. sundays are the best.

on the afton front, you have trent, scott, powell1.8 (greg), bonzo, call_me_jack (dave). not sure who else.

at welch... not sure whose home hill that is (kenton?) but its a great place to ride.

at hyland, you have scuff. he's coach of the g-team.

i don't know of any hardboot instructors but there are a few who are passionate about hardbooting that are willing to share what they know.

some of us learned carving the hard way; practice on greens/blues, video cameras, and ibuprofen. we didn't have instructors. some of us we're learning about the same time -- just read the bomber tech articles and critiqued each other on the slopes.

be forewarned!!! it takes a great of deal commitment to this sport -- the learning curve is steep!!! it is scary at first, even seems suicidal. i've been injured many times. you will fall down a lot. once you overcome your fear and setting your edges, it becomes seriously addicting. i get depressed at the end of the season.

do you have boots or a board?

Scott-

Work in Hastings; I get to the cities often. Ski at Welch- wish for more time to play.

Bobble-

Thanks for the thoughts. The only things I've ever really learned were learned the hard way. Got a hill behind the house that is ok. At least I can crawl home.

No boots save for downhills.

Just bought an old Rad-Air Joul for a song. Good shape; has Proflex bindings missing a heelbail, heelbail plate, t-nut & bolt, and center cover. Is there any sense looking for the missing parts?

Have a soft boot Rossi board that I'm playing with. When everything hooks up (for even a split second) I see why people put up with the learning curve.

There was a guy at Frontenac back in the good old days who could carve up a storm on some long, narrow, parallelogram shaped board. I guess that was the beginning of my interest. Was a scream to watch him. He'd always say "Go get a board". Any one know anything about him?

Thanks for the help- P.

I dont understand that jiberish. I think it is a phone number but I dont get it.

Aww, come on:) Sound it out phoenetically:biggthump I thought it was a pretty good code to make sure webbots didn't steal his phone number, I'm paranoid on the net a bit also. Although I am surprised that he got a 999 number with the St. Paul area code and 9766.

Did I get it right Goonie?

Should I learn to softboot snowboard first (you can probably guess what the softboot gang recommends)?

Thanks for any/all advice- Paul

Hey Paul:

If you've already got a freestyle board, I think it's good to build up some strong

freestyle snowboarding skills before dropping-in to alpine.

Freestyle snowboarding tends to have a more flexible and forgiving interface.. and

Let's you practice skidding, turning (and falling) at slower speeds first.

Riding Alpine does require more speed before the board will even turn.

You have more power, precision and potential for pain.

Scott...

Pls phone me at number deciphered by Futahaguro (good job Futahaguro) in his post. I'm coming to St Paul tonight and again Friday p.m.

Scuff...

Are you saying to mount hard boots & bindings on a freestyleboard or to learn soft boot/freestyle first?

Bubba...

spent a bunch of time watching you at from the lifts Frontenac... wondering how hard snowboarding would be to learn. I miss that place too.

Had to work all day Wednesday... will there be more meetings of the carving gang?

Are you saying to mount hard boots & bindings on a freestyleboard or to learn soft boot/freestyle first?

As someone who transitioned from skis to softboot/freestyle, then to hardboot/alpine, I'd recommend not jumping into alpine without first learning to snowboard with softboots reasonably well. I've also taught about 20-30 people how to board, and a few how to carve. The one skier who tried an alpine board without first learning to snowboard gave up very quickly. As Scott noted there are skiers who jump into alpine boarding directly, so the problem might be my teaching skills....

Not that you can't go directly from skis to alpine boarding, but you'll find the process even more painful (and hazardous) than just learning to snowboard. The precise edge control you get with hardbooting isn't necessarily a good thing when you're first learning to board.