Note to New Members ×

How long did it take you to get dialed into your New board

Bobby Buggs

In my post above, the board that I was referring to with "a few tries" is my VSR170. The variable sidecut boards tend to have more complex flex patterns than their single-sidecut brethren, and my theory is that this makes them more sensitive to stance positioning. Especially on the shorter VSR boards.

I too had to play with my stance width a bit in order to "complete the bond" with this particular board. I'm running about half an inch narrower than my usual stance on it. And back-of-center on the inserts. The fact that my weight has fluctuated on a pretty big scale since I got the board just under a year ago contributed to the long dialing in process.

Now that I've got it dialed, it's my 2nd favorite board behind this one. (On the latter, I felt dialed immediately, as in 1st turn, and only after a dozen days on it did I try moving the front binding 1cm forward and found it even better!)

When I get a new board it takes me about a run or two to get used to it and be able to flog it - when I'm riding the same type of board...

When I switched to alpine riding, it took me about 4 days to get used to it, but that was on a top-of-the-line racing board coming from a noodly softie board.

I went through a few alpine boards over the course of a couple years and getting used to each one was a matter of throwing the bindings on, taking a run or two, messing with the bindings a little bit, and being dialed in - no problem at all.

This year I switched back to riding softies after riding Telemark Skis for the past three seasons and it took me three days to get everything dialed in to where I like it.

I'm planning on breaking out my alpine board again next time we have appropriate conditions, and I'm not anticipating a whole lot of trouble getting back on the horse - maybe a few runs.

There are so many variables to this you never know what you are gonna get.

I rode my 165 VSR X-tight the other day. I was on a new board with new 3 degree plates on my sidewinders (I was running them flat), my stance is 1.5" wider and I moved my boots in the binding to be more centered.

First run, I was comfortable before I got to the bottom.:ices_ange

My monster took better part of a day.