Note to New Members ×

Checking A Board on Delta

queequeg

I usually fedex my boards ahead of time, mostly to avoid the airline losing my boards in flight—but since I am taking a direct flight to my destination there is a fairly low risk of that: so I'll be checking my boards on my flight out to Mt.Hood next week. I want to make sure that I'm not screwing myself though, cost-wise: As I understand it Delta charges $25 for the first bag, and that there are no special charges for snowboards as long as the weight of your bag is under 50 lbs - is that correct? So bringing my board on the plane should only cost $50 round trip yes? As far as I know Delta is not charging for carry on or anything insane like that - true on both counts?

From what the Delta website says, there is no size limit, and weight has to be under 50 lbs for ski/snowboard equipment, and carryon is free:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/sports_equipment/index.jsp

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/carryon/index.jsp

just want to make sure they are sticking to their stated policy on the website.

Thanks!

Ski or Snowboard Equipment

If you are hitting the slopes, you can bring your ski and snowboard equipment as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag, and one boot bag is accepted per person. The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm), no excess size charges apply.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/checked/index.jsp

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you do not have a hard sided case you may have to sign a waiver of damages. You might want to inquire about applying for a Delta AMEX card; usually $95/yr but our first year was free. The credit card will waive the $25 fee for the first bag. We also rec'd a 24 hour pass to any Delta club when we got our card; used it the other day in Atlanta as we had a three hour layover . . . free drinks and snack bar.

You might want to FedEx some of your other gear; helmets, boots etc? We use plastic totes from Home Depot with 2 piece hinged tops and secure with zip-strips. That is, if time permits?

Chech with your airline. Telling them we said you were ok isn't going to cut it!

errr ... did you not see the two links I provided in my post? I just wanted to make sure they are following the guidelines set forth on their website, as I've had experiences at the airport where they were doing something different than what is written on the website. Trying to avoid that.

Ski or Snowboard Equipment

If you are hitting the slopes, you can bring your ski and snowboard equipment as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag, and one boot bag is accepted per person. The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm), no excess size charges apply.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/checked/index.jsp

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you do not have a hard sided case you may have to sign a waiver of damages. You might want to inquire about applying for a Delta AMEX card; usually $95/yr but our first year was free. The credit card will waive the $25 fee for the first bag. We also rec'd a 24 hour pass to any Delta club when we got our card; used it the other day in Atlanta as we had a three hour layover . . . free drinks and snack bar.

You might want to FedEx some of your other gear; helmets, boots etc? We use plastic totes from Home Depot with 2 piece hinged tops and secure with zip-strips. That is, if time permits?

I don't have a hard sided case, but I pack my decks pretty well - I wrap the edges in pipe insulation and then wrap the pipe insulation with shrinkwrap around the board. I'd get a hard case but I don't have a ton of storage space in my apartment for one, so a soft bag will have to do. All my gear is well under 50 lbs minus the boots (which I always carry on). So I should be ok with the one bag, provided Delta is playing by its own rules. I'll give them a phone call to triple check.