Note to New Members ×

Hey MA, CT, NY... anyone ride at Butternut or...

fishrising

Hey any of you that live in CT MA or NY ride at Butternut (MA), or any other "closer to home" mountains when you can't make the trip north? I am trying to find "good" carving mountains within an hour or so of Hartford, CT, when I can't or don't want to spend 5 or 6 hours in a car (round trip)...

I haven't been to Butternut since I was a kid, but I remember it having some wider trails, and it was taller than Sundown, (plus it's only $15 a day for me on Mon and Tue)

if your around Hartford you can be at Mt Snow in less then 2 hrs easy. The small hills are a waste of time considering for an extra hour drive you can get to a decent mountain.

I learned to snowboard at Butternut and Sundown 11 years ago - I couldn't imagine going there now.

don't knock the small hills.

when you are forced to challenge yourself daily to get the most out of your hill, you can make great strides in your riding. Anyone can hit tons of wide open wellgroomed trails and make the same turn over and over again. The smaller mountain gets boring if you let yourself get stuck riding the same line over and over again. but if you change turn shape, play with TID, focus on learning different styles, you can learn a lot about your own riding, and that of the people you ride with. then you can become a more versatile rider...

-Noah

Also, The sasquatch are welcome at and frerquently the small east coast hills:D

For years I turned my nose up at Jimmimy peak. Ronnie Knuckles got me to go there 2 seasons ago and it was well worth it. Jerico was the good trail, Nice and steep with no one on it. They also have a couple speed quads. Yes it can get congested at the lifts since its such a small area. Side note, look out for the runaway strap police, Cant believe they asked me:eek: I showed them my intec release strap and tossed a bit of bull , they stopped asking

I've been riding at Mohawk MTN the last year or so... It's very small, but a lot of fun early in the morning... Best thing is, you can buy a 'morning' pass! So when lunch rolls around, I roll on home. :)

I don't know how far it is from Hartford, but it's due south of Butternut by about 20 minutes or so.

And yeah, from Hartford you can hit Mt Snow in about an hour and a half (I hit Snow in 2:15 from Newtown)... Corinthia is definitely the place for carving at Snow. Haystack isn't too bad, either.

Originally posted by ncermak

hey ben...

Butternut is insano crowded on weekends.

I teach over at Bousquet (pittsfield, MA) Tiny mountain, but some decent terrain. I also bust out the gates frequently. If your staying close to home, let me know, I'd love to try and hook up...

-Noah

how far from boston is pittsfield and want to give a novice some lessons?

LOL

:p

Originally posted by Aisling

how far from boston is pittsfield and want to give a novice some lessons?

LOL

:p

hope you're not laughing at my abitlity to give you lessons...:D

2.5 hours...and of course I'll give you lessons. Hell I'll even use the "gauranteed No- Fall" method...