Note to New Members ×

Two Midweighting Videos on Youtube

Marco

I always liked watching Masaki ride the steeps.

It's SOOOOOOOOOO important for the extension to happen after the edge change. If you extend at the end of the turn before the edge change it's impossible to get early pressure established.

Think of standing on a scale it you bend your knees real fast you take weight (pressure) off the scale. If you already have your kneed bent and extend them real fast you add weight (pressure) to the scale.

So if you are extending just before the edge change and flexing just after the edge change you are pressuring the end of your turn and taking pressure away from the top of the turn.

This usually leads to chatter in the middle to end of the turn, because there is such a spike in pressure when you bottom out and hit all the pressure at once mid turn.

Never heard it called "midweighting" before.....Cross over, cross under, cross through.....Reminds me of the Happy Gilmore line. "Red Jacket, Green Jacket who gives a s**t" as long as you keep moving downhill to the finish line.

Very nice Marco. Much better than a textual description. One question though - what's the difference between unweighting and downunweighting?

Great comments from everyone.

To answer skategoats question: no difference, just an error on my part in writing. You can be my editor and I'll pay you in IOU's!

I always liked watching Masaki ride the steeps.

It's SOOOOOOOOOO important for the extension to happen after the edge change. If you extend at the end of the turn before the edge change it's impossible to get early pressure established.

Think of standing on a scale it you bend your knees real fast you take weight (pressure) off the scale. If you already have your kneed bent and extend them real fast you add weight (pressure) to the scale.

So if you are extending just before the edge change and flexing just after the edge change you are pressuring the end of your turn and taking pressure away from the top of the turn.

This usually leads to chatter in the middle to end of the turn, because there is such a spike in pressure when you bottom out and hit all the pressure at once mid turn.

Never heard it called "midweighting" before.....Cross over, cross under, cross through.....Reminds me of the Happy Gilmore line. "Red Jacket, Green Jacket who gives a s**t" as long as you keep moving downhill to the finish line.

Really important clarification by philfell.

Btw, the term midweighting was used by Christian Hrab when he explained it to me and it's used here in the Canadian Manual on page 38:

http://www.canadasnowboard.ca/File/snowboard_LTAD.pdf

This is a really thorough and current manual on development that Christian and a bunch of folks took serious time and efort to put together.

• 3 weeks later...
Is is basically switching edges by pulling your legs to your body?

jojogreen,

Pretty much. More like pulling your feet directly up under your pelvis than bringing you knees up to your chest. With the latter, you can collapse your body forward, which isn't the best. If you watch Masaki, he moves from his hips down, with his upper body not collapsing forward.