Note to New Members ×

Looking for wheel advice

rjnakata

I'm looking to get some new wheels for my Kebbek Flushcut and Loaded Dervish. I like them because for me, they do a lot to simulate alpine carving. I'd rather not go on Silverfish and get a bunch of less than helpful one-word responses (and get blasted for the Dervish), so I'm asking you guys since this is where I get intelligent info! :D

So I'm looking for a wheel I can carve on (like alpine carving). The Orangatang Durian purples I used lost traction suddenly and sent me to the ground. The Otang In Heat orange are better, but still have a bit of traction loss, and the Otang Stimulus yellow are the best, with no traction loss while carving. I haven't tried any others.

The only thing is that I'd like a wheel that can do some smooth sliding also. Am I asking too much: confidence inspiring grip for carving with butter smooth sliding capability?

I need some of the BOL collective wisdom. Thanks!

My initial goal this year was to find a wheel that gave me chatter free sliding....I twice got bucked when my reflex thane wheels hooked up violently at the end of a slideafter trying a bunch of wheels I settled on the 70mm/78a Blue Divine Touch wheels and I was laughing hysterically the first fast run I had that allowed me to drift predictably in every corner. But they might not have enough traction for you, I have heard that Zak Maytum's new Venom Cannibal wheels are smooth sliding and full of traction. The Nersh Money Hax are just full of traction though I haven't heard what the slide is like and of course there's Centrax but I doubt many can slide those at all

My initial goal this year was to find a wheel that gave me chatter free sliding....I twice got bucked when my reflex thane wheels hooked up violently at the end of a slideafter trying a bunch of wheels I settled on the 70mm/78a Blue Divine Touch wheels and I was laughing hysterically the first fast run I had that allowed me to drift predictably in every corner. But they might not have enough traction for you, I have heard that Zak Maytum's new Venom Cannibal wheels are smooth sliding and full of traction. The Nersh Money Hax are just full of traction though I haven't heard what the slide is like and of course there's Centrax but I doubt many can slide those at all

Thanks Gecko, I read all 10+ pages of the Silverfish review on the Venom Cannibals. It sounds like the red (80a) or white (78a) might be a good choice. I'm hoping it's not a DH only wheel because I'll probably never get into that, but the purported slide/grip capacity seems appealing for freeriding/carving.

Thanks Boris, is that your wheel of choice, Mr. Guru? :biggthump

Thanks, but I'm far from guru in skateboarding. There are a lot of better riders here...

On my slalom setups, as much as the grip is ultimate goal, the slide sometimes happenes, or you induce it to make an impossible cone. Grippins constsantly gave me smoother slide and way smoother re-engagemant then, say, ZigZags. Also couple of local downhillers claim the same for their downhill setups. However, they need to be broken-in properly, for sliding.

Zak has been pushing his wheels also and dropped off a few protos many months ago. Hopefully he will get them off the ground. If I recall correctly, the Cannibals are sliding wheels based on the Kryto mold and the downhill wheels influenced by Manx are not yet released but I have them.

Bola

http://www.allboardssports.com

the first round of DH wheels influenced by Manx have been and gone, they were......slow (I think they were called shockers). the Venom slide wheels are called Sidewinders and they are centerset and not much like any Krypto I have ever seen the Cannibals have been out for a few months (see pic below) I haven't skated them but a friend who works for Zak is supposed to be in town this weekend so hopefully I'll get to try them. I've heard they stick better than Nersh not as well as Centrax and slide/drift smoother than either. Another really good choice would be Classic thane Zig Zags or Big Zigs traction shape semi drifty thane I would recommend 78a Flashbacks are another choice

Red-White-and-Blue-Cannibals.jpg

I'm minus the experience on the new generation of wheels (say, anything newer than/including o'tangs) but have made my way through a number of the other older wheels.

Two most predictable drifting wheels are the old white 80a hotspots & pink powerballs. Hotspots have a good deal more grip, obviously.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a total novice but I've been researching this question for the last couple of days. This thread may be helpful. I just ordered a set of flywheels. I hear that for sliding you want a rounded corner wheel rather than a square sided wheel.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-skateboarding-wheels-bearings/146724-abec11-76mm-flywheels-81a-75-mm-durians-83a.html

I'm looking to get some new wheels for my Kebbek Flushcut and Loaded Dervish. I like them because for me, they do a lot to simulate alpine carving. I'd rather not go on Silverfish and get a bunch of less than helpful one-word responses (and get blasted for the Dervish), so I'm asking you guys since this is where I get intelligent info! :D

So I'm looking for a wheel I can carve on (like alpine carving). The Orangatang Durian purples I used lost traction suddenly and sent me to the ground. The Otang In Heat orange are better, but still have a bit of traction loss, and the Otang Stimulus yellow are the best, with no traction loss while carving. I haven't tried any others.

The only thing is that I'd like a wheel that can do some smooth sliding also. Am I asking too much: confidence inspiring grip for carving with butter smooth sliding capability?

I need some of the BOL collective wisdom. Thanks!

I'm new to this forum and carving snowboards but I've been skating for a few years so maybe I can help.

I'm a bit puzzled that you had no traction loss with the yellow stimulus since they are the most slippery wheel that they make. Maybe you were feeling the difference between bigger 75mm wheels and smaller, more nimble 70mm wheels? I like my yellow durians for learning stand-up slides since they break free at a much slower speed but they often leave me on my ass while drifting hairpins.

Try some Sector 9 race formulas. So far I have tried zig zags, big zigs, flywheels, grippins, noskools, purple inheats, yellow durians, seismic speedvents, fireball beasts, and s9 raceforms. The raceforms are by far the best all-around wheel I have personally tried. I have red 74mm 82a which are square-lipped offset.

You might in fact be asking too much of one wheel. Its nice to have a quiver of boards and an arsenal of wheels! I would personally try a set of 70mm 82a (red round centerset) raceforms on the dervish and a set of 76mm 78a (yellow square centerset) raceforms on the flushcut. I would recommend the 74mm for the flushcut but I'm not sure how low it rides with the double drop so you might get rail drag.

I'm a bit puzzled that you had no traction loss with the yellow stimulus since they are the most slippery wheel that they make. Maybe you were feeling the difference between bigger 75mm wheels and smaller, more nimble 70mm wheels? I like my yellow durians for learning stand-up slides since they break free at a much slower speed but they often leave me on my ass while drifting hairpins.

Thanks for your insight. I was surprized by the yellow stimulus also. I went from the dangerous (to me) Purple Durians to the yellow (harder) Stimulus and got a lot more grip and ok slide.

Do smaller wheels beget more traction? Would a smaller and harder wheel make for better grip AND "slidablity"?

I'm doing ok with the large profile/soft Orange In-heat, but sliding is still a chore for me with them and I feel like I'm on the edge of their traction limits.

I'm not a huge quiver guy. I'd rather have one or two boards (snow and long) that through careful choice can do it all...but then maybe I'm asking too much again!

I'm not a huge quiver guy. I'd rather have one or two boards (snow and long) that through careful choice can do it all...but then maybe I'm asking too much again!

This depends on your definition of "all"

You'd be hard pressed to do park, slalom, long distance pumping, technical sliding, carve/drifting, dancing, and speedboarding on one, two, or even 3 boards.

This said, I ride one snowboard. I have quite a few self-made skateboard decks.

This depends on your definition of "all"

You'd be hard pressed to do park, slalom, long distance pumping, technical sliding, carve/drifting, dancing, and speedboarding on one, two, or even 3 boards.

I totally agree. Maybe my "all" was too broad. A restate might sound like: I want just one of each: park, slalom, long distance pumping, technical sliding, carve/drifting, dancing, and speedboarding!

Edit add: IF I could do all those disciplines. Ha!

the Venom slide wheels are called Sidewinders and they are centerset and not much like any Krypto I have ever seen the Cannibals have been out for a few months (see pic below) I haven't skated them but a friend who works for Zak is supposed to be in town this weekend so hopefully I'll get to try them. I've heard they stick better than Nersh not as well as Centrax and slide/drift smoother than either.

Hey Gecko,

Did you ever get to try the Cannibals?..what duro? I'm really considering those. What did you think! I gotta know!! :ices_ange

• 1 month later...
the first round of DH wheels influenced by Manx have been and gone, they were......slow (I think they were called shockers). the Venom slide wheels are called Sidewinders and they are centerset and not much like any Krypto I have ever seen the Cannibals have been out for a few months (see pic below) I haven't skated them but a friend who works for Zak is supposed to be in town this weekend so hopefully I'll get to try them. I've heard they stick better than Nersh not as well as Centrax and slide/drift smoother than either. Another really good choice would be Classic thane Zig Zags or Big Zigs traction shape semi drifty thane I would recommend 78a Flashbacks are another choice

Thanks everyone for all the wheel advise.

I ended up getting the Venom Cannibals (White 78a). I've only ridden once and they grip better than Otang In Heat Oranges, and of course ride softer. They roll really nicely. I'm still breaking them in, so no slides yet. I'll report later.