Note to New Members ×

Swiss Travel Plans

!MaineCarver!

I am going to Switzerland during thanks giving and I will be riding at Zermatt for 3-4 days I think. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on what the snow conditions are like? What the trails are like?

I was going to take my new (to me) 184 Donek Metal Race, just wondering if this would be a good idea or not.

:biggthump

Thanks for any information that I can get.

Not sure if you're after the conditions right now specifically, or general information, or both. So here's some wittering whilst I wait for the snow...

The earliest I rode there was the start of December a few years ago. I guess the resort will say if it's open or not... Looking at

it, they only have the glacier open at the moment.

The village is fairly low, but it's deeply shaded so the snow tends to stay reasonably well once it's there. The trails are... well it's an old place so it wasn't really planned, so it's like nothing else really. There's a mix of high alpine (I mean high: 3,800m) and trees down by the village. The lift system's, well, an interesting mix. It can take a fair while to get about, and you'll probably want to take photographs of some of the lifts.

It's best to consider the area as three/ four (five if you count Cervinia) separate sections and ride them that way: switching from one arm of the lift system to another isn't easy. So I'd walk to the bottom station of whichever section you're in that day, and then work that section; pick another one the next day.

Sunnega is "the main drag". Stockhorn is my favourite as it has Triftji and a few other wild bump runs. Lift access to there is worth the trip alone. Schwarzsee is wild and remote on the right day. The glacier again has a lift which will blow you away the first time you ride it. The pistes there are, well, glacier, but the views can be amazing and it's bigger than most similar places. Riding down to the village is always interesting and assuming there's cover well worth it.

Cervinia is worth a look, although not until you've ridden everything at Zermatt in my view as the riding there is less interesting. Cervinia feels like mostly motorway to me - you can hit the village there in less than half an hour from the top if you don't stop, cruising on that big boy board all the way. If your legs are up to it. They charge extra for the Italian side, you don't really need your passport (although if you're from the USA I'd take it just in case you cock up). The ridge is closed in high winds, so don't go on a dodgy day or you may end up spending a night amongst Mussolini's architecture.

The best mountain restaurants (and I don't usually bother with restaurants, but here they are a must) are lower down, isolated wooden buildings in the forest. If they don't have red/white checked table cloths and serve Rosti, go somewhere else.

I think large snowboards are a crime against nature, but if you have one, well this is a brilliant resort and I'd certainly want my toys with me there. There are some killer bump runs when in condition (Trifji for example) which you may find that a challenge on. If they only have the glacier open, then you'll have no problem with a monster board (except everyone will know you're American :) ). When I was last there in the summer a few years ago you could hire carve gear, but I'm not sure if that's true today.

The town is sort-of vehicle free and has some decent restaurants. Nothing's cheap there.

Summary: gob-smacking views, great food, interesting riding, slow and idiosyncratic lift system, expensive.

Well thank you for the information. Personally I just got a little nervous with that run down. I have never been to Europe or out of the Continental US for that matter so I think I have the right to be a little nervous. So this is a definte yes on me bringing my Long (big boy) board :).

Thank you again. I cannot wait to head out there

Here is another link to the "official" Zermatt site:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/service/webcams?utm_source=Startseite&utm_medium=Quicklink&utm_campaign=Webcams

There is a lot of info on the site and it's worth taking a look.

I have been twice and wish I could buy property there (it's a closed town) but I can't wait to return. Check out the many places that have dinner packages as we went to one place and had a 13 course meal that ended up about 50 CHF per person, tax and tip included.

The train up to Gornergrat is a nice trip, even if you can't board down. If it is open, there is a toboggan only run from Rotenboden to Riffelberg that is tons of fun. You need a lift pass for the train and you can rent tobaggans for about 15 CHF per day. We had a 8 in 10 pass and used one day for the tobaggans, it gave us a day off our legs and we had a blast.

Oh, fyi, the X1 t-bar (Gandegg) is VERY long, something like a mile or so. Good luck

The glacier is really flat...tilted, actually, off the top lift at Klein Matterhorn. Testa Grigia rides better, as does Cervinia. You'll have fun down near Schwarzsee.

If time permits, make a day trip to Saas Fee in the adjoining valley. To avoid the mobs, go up to Hohsaas, which is ideally suited to carving on the upper runs between 2400 and 3200 meters: http://www.hohsaas.info/cms/index.php

I've been there you'll have a blast. watch the terrian on some parts's it get's flat and maybe have to do a little scoot'n. nice upon runs, hopfully won't be to crowded with holidayer's. So you can let the board run. cause the european skiers, are real slow and can take up the hole run. O and they love to smoke.

wish you would've posted earlier, I could've sent you a trail map. and you could've studied the mountain.

One trip I'll be going back to.:biggthump

I've been there you'll have a blast. watch the terrian on some parts's it get's flat and maybe have to do a little scoot'n. nice upon runs, hopfully won't be to crowded with holidayer's. So you can let the board run. cause the european skiers, are real slow and can take up the hole run. O and they love to smoke.

wish you would've posted earlier, I could've sent you a trail map. and you could've studied the mountain.

One trip I'll be going back to.:biggthump

Well thank you for the trail map offer. I am going with a friend who I think has been there before so he should know his way around.

Hi!

I love ZERMAT/Cevinia

The long board is OK especially on the glacier where the slopes are wide.

There are not to steep but long enough to develop speed for relaxed cruising style carving.

Yes the train is slow but the views are stunning!

Watch out! at 3900m you really feel the lack of oxygen. ;-)

The food is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better at the Italian side!

But I think 3-4 days is not enough to cover the entire skiing domain.

Hi!

I love ZERMAT/Cevinia

The long board is OK especially on the glacier where the slopes are wide.

There are not to steep but long enough to develop speed for relaxed cruising style carving.

Yes the train is slow but the views are stunning!

Watch out! at 3900m you really feel the lack of oxygen. ;-)

The food is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better at the Italian side!

But I think 3-4 days is not enough to cover the entire skiing domain.

I don't think that will be enough time to cover all of it but hopefully we will get around to some places. And I cannot wait to let that board rip

• 2 weeks later...

I had so much fun while I was in Zermatt and I rode with some friends and did some awesome off piste terrain (just by the way if I was anyone else I would wait awhile before doing that again, was a little thin!) I took some video and kind of just threw it into a video so here it is.

No music or anything just straight up raw video.

Me and a friend that I had met there hiked out across that bridge by the top of the Matterhorn Express and hiked up over a little mountain hill thing and then road down all the way to the middle gondola station. I was pretty epic but I put a pretty good scratch in my boardercross board...oops

I had tons of fun though and I can't wait to go back

I was there 10+ years ago. We rode over to Cevinia for lunch. I really like it as the Zermat side had iffy snow conditions. Keep in mind if you do go over there it can take a While to get back, there is a Huge long flat you need to go through to get to the lift that will challenge your gliding skills for sure.

We almost missed the last lift and ended up riding down with the last employees and their dogs, It was a close call. If you miss it its like a 4 hour taxi ride back:eek: Or you can try to ride the icy roads through the towns in the dark, not a good call.

I remember the tram to the Klein Matterhorn, it was crowded and the euros were not much for deodorant:barf:

I still say the Cevinia experience was one of my best on that trip. After watching your video you had much better snow than I did but my neck hurt as I kept looking up trying to see what was ahead, please point yer camera up higher next time:D

I was there 10+ years ago. We rode over to Cevinia for lunch. I really like it as the Zermat side had iffy snow conditions. Keep in mind if you do go over there it can take a While to get back, there is a Huge long flat you need to go through to get to the lift that will challenge your gliding skills for sure.

We almost missed the last lift and ended up riding down with the last employees and their dogs, It was a close call. If you miss it its like a 4 hour taxi ride back:eek: Or you can try to ride the icy roads through the towns in the dark, not a good call.

I remember the tram to the Klein Matterhorn, it was crowded and the euros were not much for deodorant:barf:

I still say the Cevinia experience was one of my best on that trip. After watching your video you had much better snow than I did but my neck hurt as I kept looking up trying to see what was ahead, please point yer camera up higher next time:D

Sadly I did not get to explore the Cervinia side we only hide a limited amount of time and not too much terrain but I did have loads of fun and hope to get the chance to go back some other day. And I know what you mean about the deodorant thing.