Note to New Members ×

Snowboarding in Dynafit ZZERO 3?

Mats

I've searched and can't find the thread but, I know there was a discussion about the use of AT boots and I think there are some people that post here that use them for the reasons you mentioned. Hopefully they can shed some light on it for you. Maybe your search skills are better than mine.:o

Mats - you're right... they are superlight weight and fit well, but are expensive! The primary disadvantage is the loooonnnnnnggggggg sole length - not an issue if you're only using them on the SuperSwede.

Buell will have more insight, but I enjoyed wearing AT boot on a freeride board and continue to using them on my split board.

I use them for backcountry as i run the toepiece in the center for the uphill.

Its hard to find a good at boot that gives you the right flex without doing mods to them.

For meit took quitea bit of work to get them right but use them for everything now they are expensive and own only one set of boots.

Did you try a pair or just try a pair on?

AT boots are nice aren't they. I have not really tried AT boots for carving although I know a couple of riders who use Garmont Megarides and do like them. I expect it will be personal preference. If your weight gives you the flex you want out of the boot while carving then you might be most of the way there.

Here is the old thread. It was a bit tough find.

As has been mentioned, flex will be the biggest issue and you may need to do some modifications on them just like the people who carve in alpine ski boots. The AT boots depend on boot deformation to control flex.

I splitboard in AT boots and have modified them to be quite soft for that. They are too soft to carve in now on a regular basis. Rebecca was trying the Zzero 4s for carving but she finds them too stiff for her in ride mode and too soft in walk mode.

The Zzero 3 has a lower cuff height. I don't know if that would be an issue but it is something I would consider. The Zzero 4s might be better for carving but again, personal preference.

1. Forward flex is my main concern. Not enough forwardflex when you max it.

2. To stiff lateraly when you run lower angles. Thats why I figure 3 buckles is the best option for freeriding. The carbon is probably super when you ride steeper angles.

But it´s a sexy bit of equipment compared to my 325's

1. Forward flex is my main concern. Not enough forwardflex when you max it.

2. To stiff lateraly when you run lower angles. Thats why I figure 3 buckles is the best option for freeriding. The carbon is probably super when you ride steeper angles.

But it´s a sexy bit of equipment compared to my 325's

If they are like the Zzero 4s, there are some little tabs inside the upper cuff that hit on the lower cuff. If you cut these off then you will have additional forward flex. Grinding the tongue thinner at the ankle will make a softer boot.

The three buckle boot is supposed to be softer. You can get a non-carbon version of the 4 buckle boot or you could just remove the lateral and medial carbon strips to increase lateral flex. I have considered that for Rebecca's Zzero 4s for splitboarding.

I tried 4 buckles Zero CF in summer. They are very well built, compared to Head hardboots and extremely light. I rode them, they seem OK. You can ride them in ski or walk mode. Also forward lean has two positions. I kept front boot in first and back in second and it felt just right. I had just a couple runs in these due to extreme foot pain. But I decided to buy them at 50% off price. I immediately replace liners with my spare thermo mold Intuition; let guys to punch left shell, remold liners. After all that work I was still not able to wear them for longer than 5-10 minutes. So I started to cut foam out of liners. After several round of cutting they finally feel comfortable. I can wear only thin liner socks in those. I want to do some grinding or cutting on the top of the tongue. It also caused pain with original liner. I plan used them for backcountry boarding and resort hiking, where the snowboard hard boots are pain in the ass and actually pretty dangerous. About forward flex. I do not like stiff boot, I am riding Heads with soft tongues extra soft springs at BTS and cut out inside wings. ZZero are maybe bit stiffer in lock ski position in walk mode they are pretty soft. Entire boot is flexing. Also tongues are sliding forward and back when you flex the boots. This also helps. There plastic supposed to be stable to some degree with temperature change. I am pretty pleased with them. I tried a bunch of AT boots and like ZZero the most. And they are pretty “cool” looking. I cannot wait to try them after all that fitting work. Only what I do not like non step in binding with these. There are new UPZ ATB, which I would consider but there is only one vendor for North America and I can’t buy boot without putting them actually on my feet.

I have had a couple of Zero 4s at home for a week and as someone stated: the sole is longer on an AT boot in comparable lenght. 27 shell got an aprox 10 mm longer sole on the Dynafit. But that is only half the truth. The longer boot by far is the 325 shell. And with BTS it´s even moore. So on wider boards where you ride toe heel and not side to side when cranking turns there is quite an issue if you want to minimise angels. I ride with aprox 20 deg more angles because booting out on heelsides on a 24 cm freeride board.

The overhang is in reality smaller on the Dynafit boot then on the DELUXE if you really do crank your wider board on edge (aprox 15-20 mm).

Just my 5 cents...