Note to New Members ×

Mike Jacoby Injured in Mt Bike Accident

Short term memory still needs time. If you see him in person he appears and acts completely normal (well at least pre-accident :)

Even minor head injuries, just concussion without loss of consciousness, can be dreadfully debilitating to highly functioning people.

Say you're an accountant, you can dress, wash and feed yourself, and drive to the office. But try and hold a train of thought, add up a column of numbers even with a calculator. "Now, where did I get up to??"

Mike may appear normal on the outside, but inside he may feel far from it. Depression and enormous frustration are common in head injury survivors. Recovery to its' fullest extent after significant head injury takes years, not weeks or months.

I don't know him at all, but those of you who are his friends, keep your support and encouragement going. Don't stop just because "he appears and acts completely normal".

SunSurfer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even minor head injuries, just concussion without loss of consciousness, can be dreadfully debilitating to highly functioning people.

Say you're an accountant, you can dress, wash and feed yourself, and drive to the office. But try and hold a train of thought, add up a column of numbers even with a calculator. "Now, where did I get up to??"

Mike may appear normal on the outside, but inside he may feel far from it. Depression and enormous frustration are common in head injury survivors. Recovery to its' fullest extent after significant head injury takes years, not weeks or months.

I don't know him at all, but those of you who are his friends, keep your support and encouragement going. Don't stop just because "he appears and acts completely normal".

SunSurfer

Absolutely, TBI is very tricky. One of the reason Mike has sworn to follow the Dr. directions and stay away from high risk sports for one year. Multiple TBI is exponentially bad. Thanks for the wise words.

• 6 months later...

Spoke to Mike a while back. He is back to work, hiking, snowshoeing, getting out and doing much of what he did prior to the accident. He is following the instructions from his physicians. Basically he is staying away from some of the more high risk physical activities he loves. Snowboarding, Mt Bike, Surf etc. I know it is hard on him, however, I also know he understands the risks and Mike is a very smart guy. Sorry for the lapse in updates. Mike has come back strong and doing well. Thanks again for all the positive thoughts and prayers sent Mike's way.