Note to New Members ×

f2 Speedster RS WC 187

kieran

So i'm having fun on my 172cm '10 Silberpfeil, but want something longer, and while I'm quite interested in getting a board from one of the Colorado customs, the import taxes etc are a pain.

probably easier to take a holiday, pay in cash, and 'import' them on the return trip.

so, off i went to the F2 site for a brief look-see, and i happened across this.

except ... 187cm and a 26M sidecut radius? how much chutzpah do you need to get some wrinkle from its crinkle?

why don't you order one from one of the manufacturers within EU? There are quite a few.
I'm still quite new to hardbooting, really. I've seen more nerdy discussion about the designs and development from the US makers than EU ones. i guess that's part of it.

i only got the silberpfeil because it was a cracking deal.

Well, in case you're new to carving a 187 cm GS board might be difficult for you to handle. You'll feel that you're on a rail, going much faster then you wish and you'll find it quite difficult to push it into a decent turn, no matter how wide the slope is.

I would say the F2 Silberpfeil is a good carving board to start with, despite of the fact that it has some well known issues - stiff nose that has a tendency to dig in, and a soft mid part that will overbend if you really crank it.

I guess a good indicator would be for you to move on to a better board if you feel that you can overload the Silberpfeil, meaning you can push it harder then the board can handle. You'll know what I mean when it happens.

Coming back to custom boards, there are some EU manufacturers offering boards at a relatively lower price (I'd say comparable to an F2 WC) like http://www.apex-snowboards.com/ for example.

Cheers

I guess a good indicator would be for you to move on to a better board if you feel that you can overload the Silberpfeil, meaning you can push it harder then the board can handle. You'll know what I mean when it happens.
i'm 105kg. it bends. ;)

Well, then the only way to know is to try. Before buying a brand new one, you might want to run a search on e-bay or in the classifieds sections of the well known carving forums, you might be able to find a much better deal then buying a new one...

Well, then the only way to know is to try. Before buying a brand new one, you might want to run a search on e-bay or in the classifieds sections of the well known carving forums, you might be able to find a much better deal then buying a new one...
the speed doesn't worry me .. but i like the comfort of knowing i can skid a turn in to avoid some sudden obstacle. carving isn't new for me, but a GS board would be.

looks like fun though.

Hello kieran,

if you are not afraid of the speed and you have enough space on the slopes than a GS board can be real fun ;).

In Europe you find a lot of top notch board manufactures (whose boards perform at the WC level).

Istvan suggested Apex. I have some personal experience with Apex and these boards are really great! And it is also easy to let the flex adjust to your weight!

But there are many more companies - in Switzerland you have Kessler, Oxess and Black Pearl. Kessler has a production series (starting with this season). They are about the same price as the F2s.

In Austria, besides Apex, you also find SG Snowboards. They are very successful at the WC at the moment and excellent boards.

And of course there are many more ... your F2 isn´t a bad choice either ;).

holy cow. 26M sidecut...

World Cup GS board such as Kessler/SG/Coiler NSR/Donek/Prior all have dual side cut. 14/20 i think are the most popular.

look up "silly good" It's design by Billy Brody of hardbooter. it's got 30M sidecut.

http://www.hardbooter.com/Hardbooter_Titanal_Custom_Alpine_Snowboard_p/2009_prior.htm

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26658

Disclamier:

This is me internet snowboarding. I have no experience with any of the above board nor posses the skill to ride them.

If you got the skill, proper trail; have other deck for non-gs carving day.

Have at it and let us know how it work :)

I started hardboot on 180 14M GS non-metal board and it KICK my butt so BAD...

--

David

Well I guess you know what you want, but it's a while since I last bought a GS board as there are so few places you can really get up to GS speeds. You can't have it both ways: if it's stable at mach 2 then it will be a dog at slow speeds. Moguls... well probably not. So IMHO that's a pretty limited type of board, unless you stick to cruisy blues.

A lot of people on here use huge boards, but you need to be careful about where you're riding them. They'd be little use at places like Whistler, for example, where the speed cops will get you at every turn. Especially on cruisy blues.

As far as custom stuff is concerned... well the problem is that if it's really "custom" then you can't ride it before you buy it, so for people like me at least that doesn't work. A few mm here or there can make a huge difference in boards which work for me and boards which are second rate... buying without riding is not an option because of that. Lots of "custom" boards are stock, so that changes the equation a bit if you can test them.

Don't bother with a GS board if you do all your riding on Cairngorm, you will never get the full power. If I were you I would get a slalom board, as you can still put some big arcs in, but when the hill is having a lean year with the snow you can still have major fun with tight arcs. From reading your previous posts I am thinking you are a good boarder, but your first hard boot board is silberpfeil, which is a good board in some people's eye but a long way off a world cup pgs board. Its a long summer off to next winter but if you want to try my Sg pro(163 slalom board) you would be more than welcome. I am willing to come up to Braehead for a HB session in a fridge if you want.

After having a few season's instructing up there I know hero snow is few and far between, so if you can handle it, a race board is effing suberb on the bullet proof ice, and you will be having fun when most people are cowering in the cafe's tucking in to a bridie. But a Pgs board I think on Cairngorm is a waste. I was having fun on the Cas way back in 88/9ish on a PJ7 on bullet proof ice which was fun, but that board was very,very ordinary compared to new race boards. Go smaller you won't regret it. My only comparison is F1 and WRC. What would you rather have on a tight twisty unknown track, Subaru/ Mitsubishi or McClarren/Ferrai.

On a different tact when is the assymetric coming back, I miss wonky tails and odd looks!

Good points, Willow 15!

A side note - a PJ7 in 88/89? :confused: ... In that year Burton´s raceboards where still the Safaris! In 89/90 they introduced the legendary PJ. And only in 90/91 Burton started to offer four lengths in the PJ line - PJ5s, PJ5, PJ6 and PJ7. Just for clarification :ices_ange ...

Good points, Willow 15!

A side note - a PJ7 in 88/89? :confused: ... In that year Burton´s raceboards where still the Safaris! In 89/90 they introduced the legendary PJ. And only in 90/91 Burton started to offer four lengths in the PJ line - PJ5s, PJ5, PJ6 and PJ7. Just for clarification :ices_ange ...

Sorry, but I am feeling quite old at the moment and my memory is not the best. I was given PJ7, 6 and 5 too, (semi pro/sponsererd) and at the time I loved those boards.

I raced against Mr J. Nerva at a French national race around 89/90, he was on the original Pj, I was on a Safari 1. It was a good course but I was naivie about course set-up, so hence that French MF won, nothing to do with lack of talent/experience.

WinterGold, I apologise for my board history, you are correct. I must of been ruling Scotland around 91 with my PJ7. But then again I was riding next years boards a year before most people got to touch them. God bless Ispo and trade shows.

Willow 15, so you are a real legend!!! :D

I didn´t mean to sound like a "know-it-all". It just gets confusing sometimes when people mix up dates ...

For some time I also got my boards one season in advance from Burton (being a product tester) - those were good times :D ...

Cool - I'm impressed. I couldn't afford the B boards back then and I'd not figured out how to get my kicks for free at that time... the prices of those PJs was ferocious in Finland at least.

But even so... if you're riding small hills as I was, probably that would not be the best gear anyway. See argument above re: GS boards.

I only rode in Scotland once in 1994, but I visited all the resorts I could find and I didn't find anything then which would make me feel like my SL board was too small. That was a Nitro Scorpion 163 - first generation "new school" race board (eg: post asym). It all depends what you like to ride I suppose... I like to ride whatever's in the way.

Cool - I'm impressed. I couldn't afford the B boards back then and I'd not figured out how to get my kicks for free at that time... the prices of those PJs was ferocious in Finland at least.

Did you ride that time in Finland? where?

I tought that prices of Burtons provided by Funster were pretty in line with other alpine stuff :eek: