Note to New Members ×

installing top e pads in sidewider bindings

snowboardfast

For those of you that are riding sidewinders have you changed out the top pads yet due to them getting worn out or wanting to try some thing different? How are you clamping them to get one of the pads in after 1 side is in? I have tried using a vise with wood blocks on both sides of the heel piece to avoid damage but I can't compress the pad enough I am thinking I will have to use a small c clamp with wood blocks to get enough pressure to do this. this is with the blue pads. I think I am too heavy for the yellow pads as I have worn one of them out because I compress them a lot due to my weight. I weigh 190 of course more with gear. I would expect the blue pads to work better and last longer before they wear out. Any thoughts? I noticed that my bail settings have changed slightly due to the yellow pads compressing.

I don't think you can compress the pads enough by just standing on them. I think you would be hitting metal on metal when riding if you could.Good idea though. I went back and read the instructions which say to use a vise to compress the heel and toe pieces to change the pads. Of course you have to remove them from the baseplate to do this. I don't think it says to use blocks of wood between the heel or toe piece but I did it to avoid damaging any thing. I will see how fast the blue pads wear out. Again I think the yellow pads are too soft for us heavier riders. I wore mine out and I don't think I have more than about 10 or 15 days on them. I really like these bindings and haven't riden anything else since I switched last month.

Simple = "C" clamp with some protective tape to prevent scatching. 5$ at most hardware stores. Even less at Harbor Freight on sale. Personally I would like to see Bomber Industries build a really cool CNC version :eplus2:

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1320794786706" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1320794786706" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

post-198-141842314161_thumb.jpg

What I found is that when I had clamped it down I needed to use a screw driver to gently push the e-pad out the side of the binding.

Or use the 5M allen wrench, that is what I am using in the video. I found you can just slip it in behind the pad and nudge it out. A small screw driver would do the same, just be cautious not to cut the elastomer.

Can you put your boots on and with the bindings mounted to the board get enough compression of one pad for a second person to pull out the opposite pad?

Not all of us have a pretty, trusting assitant with small fingers ;)

Not to mention it might cost you an expensive dinner to make up for the blood blister on the finger after an innocent miss communication:argue::mad::eplus2: