Note to New Members ×

Slalom board shopping

Bullwings

I need a suggestion for some slalom boards.

I want something with concave that's straight w/o a kick tail - i really didn't like my Axe 2.5. After 2 years of ownership, I'm ready to look for something else.

I've been looking at the Subsonic lowland 32 http://www.subsonicskateboards.com/lowland.html

and a Fullbag death or glory (if i can find one) or a Fullbag GS - do they have a kick tails?

I'm looking for a board under $100 with concave, withOUT a kick tail, that's around 31-34" long with a wheelbase around 21-23.5"

No 3-4 week build time is a bonus, but not a must. Oh yeah, and at least 9" for my front foot.

Bullwings:

All the Fullbag Slalom decks have a kicktail, but it's very mellow compared to the Axe's. I LOVE the concave on the tail on the fullbags...

Arclite:

Subsonic is in Portland, Oregon. Looks like he charges $15 to ship a deck.

$50 for Bennett / RTS? Is that new? Shipped? Sk8kings has RTS's for 17.99, and Bennets for 25.99 = 43.98, plus shipping. They're located in SoCal, so you "might" be able to pick them up and avoid shipping?

Shameless Fullbag Promotion:

attachment.php?attachmentid=22098&d=1269459247

0Ricard.jpg

Jit.jpg

Fullbag SL and TS respectively.

I have the TS, I'm not a fan of the concave really, but in combination with a toestop and a high front foot angle it's like a binding.

I can't really feel the kicktail on mine, but on my flat board (the Silly Slalom, posted somewhere) I can tell it isn't there.

Can I get a shot of the kick tail? I actually don't mind deep concave (the Fullbag concave looks perfect), but it's the kick tail that killed me with the Axe...

How aboot this?

Bottom board is a Pavel woodie, probably has a kicktail comparable to the Axe's. Top is a fullbag, of course...

post-114-1418423141_thumb.jpg

Kind of been out of the slalom scene for a few years - 0 competition here, got bored with running cones myself. Can anyone give me the short rundown on the board changes these past few years? Seems like everyone's running concave decks with little to no flex and usually a kicktail. What happened to all the exotic construction, camber etc?

Not to answer your question :rolleyes:

but if you run alone, i would propoese to invest to clock. Clock is great thing if you rune alone or with friends, it will give you something that you can compare if are you progressing or not. Trackmate is your friend :1luvu:

Trackmate is 250USd, tapeswitches like 50USd per pair an then you need just cable so costis not killing.

Hand timing stopwatch is not eniugh, atleast my progress is done in tenth of secs :rolleyes: and to really compare setup settings you want to get some reliable differences. Plus with proper timer you canreallu follow progress, and even have some race with friends.

Stuff has really progressed since i used to ride cones in late seventiies.

Now boards are stiff with tail kick and full concave to give more power to turns and to stiffen light board. Trucks are unbeliveable easy turning and eas to adjust with plent of good bushings available. Riding itself style has changed lot so i feel that i currently pick worst parts of old stuff and new stuff instead i would utilize someway new better board-truck combo :eek:

But slowly progressing nad most important i have really fun tring to get and learn again not kill all the cones :D

Thanks for the picture Skully - that kick tail looks pretty livable.

The kick tail on the pavel is pretty much like the Axe, and a no go for me.

I'm still wondering what it would feel like though. Are the Fullbags rock solid flex, like the Axe, or a very stiff slight snap to the flex like maybe an EarthWing board but stiffer?

Ok, here's the big one now as to what to do with my quiver (not really much of a quiver since i've been selling it off and specializing it for what I mostly ride).

I have a Subsonic Reflex 42 which realistically is only good for downhill stuff, which I rarely do. I can at least throw a heel-side (backside) coleman slide to save my ass, but no drifting for turns and stuff. It has fiberglass and carbon and concave.

I have the Axe 2.5 which is now sold :biggthump

And a Subsonic Century 38 which I use for LDP (the vast majority of my riding) http://www.subsonicskateboards.com/century38.html

I can do one of three things with the Reflex, try to sell it (dunno what I can get for it - paid around $180 for it), or chop it and turn it into a slalom board - it has concave is plenty wide (10.25 - probably too wide). Depending on the sell price, I could buy a Fullbag GS board (with skill I can probably use this for some mild downhill, I'd just need to learn how to coleman on the shorter board). Or I could just keep the reflex for the rare downhill moments.

I also currently have this in the works, thanks to a friend :biggthump

ay34w6.jpg

It looks awesome and I can't wait to ride it. It won't have any concave though and Sk8kings is out of those C-block concave kits (foam blocks you can use to make concave) - are there any other alternatives to making concave?

I also currently have this in the works, thanks to a friend :biggthump

It looks awesome and I can't wait to ride it. It won't have any concave though and Sk8kings is out of those C-block concave kits (foam blocks you can use to make concave) - are there any other alternatives to making concave?

Heh I saw it yesterday, looks nice

The website says that they will hace the C-Blocks in stock on the 27th so you shouldn't worry about not ordering a set

Thanks for the picture Skully - that kick tail looks pretty livable.

The kick tail on the pavel is pretty much like the Axe, and a no go for me.

I'm still wondering what it would feel like though. Are the Fullbags rock solid flex, like the Axe, or a very stiff slight snap to the flex like maybe an EarthWing board but stiffer?

Fullbag's are all I've raced on for 4 years now. It's not so much a kicktail as it is a "cupped" area for your back foot. That's what people usually like if they ride these boards. The "very stiff slight snap to the flex" is exactly the way I'd describe the flex. More than a wood Axe, but only a bit...stiffer than an EW Superglider/charger. It feels perfect to me at 210 lbs. I'm sure you'd have no problem selling online if you didn't like it...but I doubt that would be the case. I know what you mean about steeper kicks. I always feel like I am on a 23" wheelbase with a 20" stance...but some people love 'em.

The DOG is a slight amount flexier than the regular GS model, and has the wider more comfortable tail - I have size 11 shoes. Slightly longer wheelbase too. If you want an all-round, try the Red Baron. I've used it for 4 disciplines (with a 22" WB drilled out) and it's my favorite SL ride.

Whatever you do, buy and ride soooooon!! :-)

-RF