Note to New Members ×

chain lube for dirt riders

bobdea

I use White Lighting.....

Yet, perhaps one of the most well known bike geeks in the world uses and swears 3 in 1 is superior to any chain lube on the market.

However, on my SS...I'll run it dry after a wash in mineral spirits on dusty days.

I have a buddy who used to use a top secret chain lube on his moto-cross rig that worked really well in the muck. I tried it out a few years back and found it worked quite well for keeping the gears and chain from caking up with muck. Nothing sticks to it in the dry either.

It wears fast so you need to use it before, after, and sometimes during every ride. You're gonna go through chains quick too.

This Stuff.

I know it's blasphemy.

Most of the real bad-asses who's bikes I've worked on used White Lightning (Works well but it's a bitch to clean and you have to clean it often otherwise the wax builds up and can cause shifting issues) or Boesheild T-9. With both these lubes you want to strip everything down to clean metal before you apply them and don't use anything else on top of them.

I think bob is asking about moto lube.

For bicycles, I homebrew -- three parts odorless mineral spirits, to one part motoroil. Use sram chains with the removeable link. Remove chain, dunk in a small tupperware of the lube overnight. While chain is off, remove rear wheel, hose down cassette with wd40, floss with a rag. In the morning remove chain from tub, wipe clean, reinstall, shift through gears, wipe clean again.

Also have some in a contact solution spray bottle that I shoot onto the chain liberally (till it drips off on the floor) and then wipe clean with a rag.

WD40 actually works great if applied in this manner as well (till it's literally dripping from the chain). It does need to be used often, but your bicycle chain will always be clean and lubed.

Love the white lightning. Never had any issues with caking or waxy buildup, and I use it religiously.

The stuff I've encountered may have to do with it mixing with the loamy dirt, bits of leaf, bark, and wet conditions we tend to have out this way.

There is a reason they make that super toxic smelling, wicked powerful cleaner.

I think bob is asking about moto lube.

Good call, missed the Bel Ray reference.

I use the Honda HP chain lube on my street bike. Never had a dirt bike to use it on, but I would think it might work well. It penetrates well, wipes clean easily, and dries to the touch so it doesn't hold on to a lot of crap. Holds up well in the rain too.

Try this:

On a clean chain, use a good amount of wet lube-Pedro's or the like. Work it inreally well, then wipe off all the excess. The chain should look clean and shiny at this point. Then add a layer of dry lube and let it sit for a while. Even in the rather severe conditions up here, I've had good results with this method.

I use the Bel Ray on all the bikes dirt and road race with Xring chains. It works well but I do find it tacky and it tends to cake a bit more then I would like.

In the past I used some stuff from Motul that was like powder, no caking at all. Though it is really hard to find.

I am going to give the White Lightning a try as well, unless I can get the Motul stuff again.

With a good quality o-ring or x-ring. I have found keeping it clean and dry is best. After a wash I use JB80. Nothing more. My chains don't last less than when I used expensive lubes and I get less crap all over my swingarm and hub.

Some guys I know use WD40 to displace the water after a wash.

I am VERY particular about my bike (motorcycle) maintenance. If the others worked better, I would use them.

I use the Bel Ray on all the bikes dirt and road race with Xring chains. It works well but I do find it tacky and it tends to cake a bit more then I would like.

In the past I used some stuff from Motul that was like powder, no caking at all. Though it is really hard to find.

I am going to give the White Lightning a try as well, unless I can get the Motul stuff again.

white lightning is for bicycles, it's a waxed based thing.

I got two type of chain lub -- one is wax and another is that thick gunky goldish-hue. I use the wax whenever I'm down out in Grand Junction/Utah. Up here in the mountain, it depends on the weather factor, tho I like to play it safe and use a mix of those two.