Note to New Members ×

Alternative materials for spacers

ZetaTre

It appears to be common practice yo use polycarbonate sheets to make spacers normally used to protect metal board.

I was checking out the McMaster-Carr catalog, an industrial supply retailer, and I was wondering if anyone has been experimenting using other material.

For example: have anyone tried to put a film of rubber between the polycarb sheet and the board, let's say a 0.01"-0.02" thick sheet of 70 Shore A polyurethane (similar to what is used to make shoe heels or cutting boards)?

I built spacers out of 1/2" HDPE years ago, mostly just because the board's inserts didn't match the my bindings. It was a bit heavy (more due to the two sets of fasteners than the spacers themselves) but it worked very well. The board broke before the spacers did. :)

Last year ran 6mm cork floor tile as spacers.

Cork is lightweight, waterproof, cold tolerant, and made of sealed air cells so it has a shock absorbing capability as well. There's a little compression if you leave your bindings permanently bolted down, so watch you don't bottom out your binding screws in the inserts.

Have used HDPE kitchen chopping board as well, especially for custom binding cants.

SunSurfer

Automotive gasket material available in many thicknesses and material. Have used cork based material. Easy to work with, silicone cork composite very flexible make sure you place it with printing up as colour will bleed if placed against board. Does not scratch or leave marks on board!:biggthump