Note to New Members ×

During that time in Tahiti....

DjulezD

i guess its barely 2m deep where the guy is..and if he falls anyway he will get sucked under the falls by the rotation...i've ridden in much smaller waves near the "island museum" closer to papeete, and got sucked each time i bailed ( then the reef is suddenly very close).. just watching this pic and imagining the sharp grindy reef is making me chill !!!

is there any vid from this session available?

Nils

A friend from Tahiti shared the news on Facebook. There is a vid, but it was uploaded directly on fb, not a link to a youtube or similar video.

Here is the post:

"IT WAS THE BIGGEST SWELL SINCE 5 YEARS AND THE BEST TOW SURFERS WERE @ TEAHUPOO. MANOA DROLLET CERTAINLY SURFED THE BEST WAVE OF THE DAY. SOON AS POSSIBLE I WILL BE POST ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL ALL THE BEST WAVES. SO STAY CONNECT ON TEAHUPOO3 CHANNEL, YOU'LL BE AWARE ON THE FIRST TEAHUPOO 2010 SESSION."

i guess its barely 2m deep where the guy is..and if he falls anyway he will get sucked under the falls by the rotation...i've ridden in much smaller waves near the "island museum" closer to papeete, and got sucked each time i bailed ( then the reef is suddenly very close).. just watching this pic and imagining the sharp grindy reef is making me chill !!!

is there any vid from this session available?

Nils

Go to surfline dot com for some vids...and check out the last wave. siiiick

Did you ever get up-close-and-personal with those thorny starfish? I read that they pluck them off the reef before the big contests. I know one guy that got his arm and shoulder dislocated there...but I'd still go. Just grab on to the rope and grow some big cajones. :eplus2:

South swell summer!!!!

Never seen those fish :)

was there summer '93 before teahupoo was "discovered" it was known this area as the place for the huge cruiser boats to be able to enter lagoons ( deep reef)...and its frankly a long drive from Papeete with many world class waves before on the road ( taapuna etc..).. I'm way from having the level to be on a normal wave over 6' in tahiti, so you can imagine what it is to be there...it is just make me s**t my pants thinking of sitting on those wave shoulders hearing the thunder roll and feel the water sucked from the reef....

As for tow in surfing: i do not consider it surfing so i'm not impressed even if it takes corones and ready to die attitude to be there...the hardest part in surfing is the paddle and take off, not the riding which takes, to my opinion, less technical level and stamina than paddling in a very steep fast wave and stand up. The timing is so critical in tahiti or at other very fast waves that you need 110% commitment that you don't need when you're towed. Another thing i dislike is the pollution, the noise and attitudes that come with tow in surfing...but that is a long debate...magazines do not complain because tow in sells photos and incredible wave sizes...

Nils