Note to New Members ×

Jacquie Snarr

eajracing

It's with great regret that I pass on the information that Jacquie Snarr, president of the Association of Ontario Snowboarders passed away this morning from injuries sustained riding at BVSC.

If you're a competitor in Ontario, or a member at BV, you know how great a person she was.

Our condolences to the family.

I read of this accident in the Star, and had thought it would have been an out of control beginner, which would have been terrible, but how sad to hear that it was Jacquie.

It's been quite a few years since I worked at BVSC, but I remember her fondly. She always charged, and rode hard.

I'm not sure I believe in an afterlife, but if there is one Jacquie, the lift will drop you off at your choice of perfect corduroy, untracked pow, steep trees, a soft spring bump run, or maybe a boardercross course with a couple of good friends.

CANADA~SNOWBOARD MOURNS THE PASSING OF JACQUELINE SNARR

Snarr, President of the Association of Ontario Snowboarders, loses life in tragic accident while snowboarding

(West Vancouver, BC - March 18, 2010) On behalf of the entire snowboard community, Canada~Snowboard would like to send its deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Jacqueline Snarr, president of the Association of Ontario Snowboarders, who passed away Wednesday morning in an accident.

"Canada~Snowboard sends its condolences to the family and friends of Jacqueline Snarr. We are deeply saddened by her loss as there is no worse feeling than losing a member of our community, of our family. Jacqueline played an instrumental part in the management and turnaround of the Ontario provincial association, bringing structure and leadership to the organisation. She will without a doubt be missed by all of us in the community," said Tom McIllfaterick, Chief Executive Officer of Canada~Snowboard.

Jacqueline Snarr, a former competitive snowboarder residing in Mississauga, Ontario, lost her life while snowboarding. The tragic accident happened on the morning of March 17th at the Beaver Valley Ski Club in the Grey Highlands near Collingwood, Ontario. Snarr, as she always did while snowboarding, was wearing a helmet at the moment of the accident.

Snarr was born October 21, 1961. She passed away at age 48. In addition to her role as president of AOS, she was a senior snowboarding official and learning facilitator, and a leader in officiating and event delivery in Ontario.

In February of 2010, Snarr dedicated her time and energy to volunteer at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, as a course worker at Cypress Mountain.

Snarr, married to Scott, was a mother of two sons, Andrew and Thomas and a daughter, Anne-Marie. She was an avid athlete and outdoor enthusiast. Both her sons are competitive snowboarders in Canada.

Condolences can be sent to aos@ontariosnowboarders.ca.

Friends and family are invited to pay a last visit to Jacqueline Snarr at the Turner Porter Funeral Home in Mississauga, Ontario, on Saturday and Sunday from 2pm to 4pm, and from 7pm to 9pm. Turner Porter is located at 2180 Hurontario Street, Mississauga, ON. L5B 1M8.

The Funeral Mass of Christian Burial will be held at St. Christopher’s Church, 1171 Clarkson Rd., Mississauga (north of Lakeshore) on Monday, March 22, 2010 at 11:00 a.m.

Details of the Death notice: http://www.turnerporter.ca/obits.html

post-35-141842309759_thumb.jpg

are shocked and saddened by Jaquie's death.I did not know her well,only having met her once and talked about her son's snowboard racing,but Maureen's family knew Jaquie very well.As it turns out my brother in law dated her long ago and their parents were great friends.Many of Maureen's family will attend the funeral.It is truly a small and sometimes tragic world.Our condolences go out to her loved ones.

• 5 weeks later...