Note to New Members ×

Ski & ski boot recommendations?

BadBrad

I am planning to start my toddler on skis next season, and I think I can manage him easier if I am also on skis, so I am going to look for some inexpensive (perhaps used) skis and boots during the off season. I'm looking for recommendations. I want a general all-mountain ski. I'll be riding mostly on groomed trails, very rarely in powder, slow to moderate speeds. I'd like them to carve well, and I'd like to be able to go into the trees on occasion. I'd be spending a lot of time with my son on easier slopes, but I also have some skier friends that I might want to join sometimes, and they ski all over the mountain.

I have a friend who really likes the K2 Apache skis. He had the Apache Recons and last year bought a set of Apache Xplorers, so he might sell me his older Recons.

Another friend has some Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous skis that he probably wants to sell.

Comparing the Recon to the Nitrous, they are both about the same shape and both have a 78mm waist. The Recon has metal construction and the Nitrous does not. The Nitrous sounds like it might be more forgiving, and it has a smaller sidecut radius (15.8m vs. 18m), so it might be better for carving.

Both are 170cm long. I am 5'7" and 155 lbs, so I'm guessing this is a good size for me?

Someone else recommended that I get a slalom race ski. How would this compare to the skis described above?

And I also need some ski boots. I'm guessing that the main thing to look for is fit. I also guess that I want something with a fairly soft flex, right? And since I'll be standing a lot while helping my son, it would be nice to have a walk feature, but I've been looking at ski boots in the shops and this seems to be rare on ski boots. So, any recommendations for a soft/medium flexing ski boot with a walk feature?

Thanks,

BB

the nordicas are going to be the more forgiving of the two you listed, and if you aren't doing anything too serious they should work fine. the Recons are a stiffer all-mountain ski.

Personally, with kids, I found myself skiing backwards alot, so a good pair of park skis with center mount and tail kick helps alot.

As for boots, I bought a pair of Head Edge 8.8, which are a bit soft, but they fit the same as stratos pros, so I knew they would be comfortable. If your foot fits well in a Head boot and you can find these, I highly recommend them. Enjoy.

I would look for sub-160 all mountain carvers, 74+ waist. Atomic Metrons (warning: heavy), Elan Magfires, Volkl ACs, Rossi Z, Head Monster... Tightest SCR you can find, 12m or less. From what I listed Rossis are probably the most forgiving while Metrons carve the tightest and handle the speed indespite the short length. Elan and Volkl are probably the most all-round. Head rides longer arcs better but is very solid.

Boots, depending on your foot shape. Dalbello, Head and Nordica fit wider. Atomic and Lange narrower.

If you can find the Dalbello Carvex/CRX/Impulse/Reflex, they ARE the ski version of Head Stratos Pros, so you can snowboard in them too. Lean, ramp, cant, stifness adjustment and walk mode is there.

I have a pair of new Dalbello Avanti (same fit as the CRX) for sale. They have stifness, lean and cant adjustment. Size 26-26.5

I demoed about half a dozen skis last season and settled on Volkl Unlimited AC20s. They are billed as intermediate skis but I liked them better than the top of the line Fischer Progressor 9s or the Head Supershapes. Edge hold is fantastic and they seem to have no speed limit.

If you're going to be on the groom, don't get anything wide like the K2s.

For boots, like BlueB says, get something that fits your foot shape. There is a huge variation in boots - in volume, width, hinge point, etc. Nothing beats a professional fitting.